Winter Survival Skills Class(pic heavy)

Temps stayed below freezing the entire weekend with the low being 8-9 degrees.

Camp+set.JPG

We set the 4 person Kifaru Tipi up and then added an annex. I wanted to have a place for the instructors to plan and also an emergency shelter set in case we had a hypothermia event.

Kifaru+annex+1.JPG

Kifaru+annex+2.JPG

Kifaru+annex+4.JPG

Class started at 6pm Friday night at the lodge with a gear check and briefing about how the weekend was going to go down. A check was made to make sure no one had any food as tasks were to be performed before food would be issued.

Once that was done we hiked to our camp location and set up quarters. The firsts night shelter was a large A frame group shelter constructed from a plastic sheet with webbing used as a ridge line. Before bed each student made line kits from their 550 cord, a dity bag to store it, and fire starters for the fire lessons the next day.

Flare+fire.JPG

The next morning the shelter was taken down, gear stowed, and bags hung up to air out and dry.

The next morning a class on bush craft knots was given in preparation for super shelter that were going to be built later on in the afternoon. Then it was on to the fire craft lessons with the one stick fire and combination split wood twig fire.

Everyone did great and was able to get fires going with their firesteels.

Afterwards a glock armorer gave a great class on cold weather considerations for firearms.

The shelter chosen for Saturday night was the super shelter with a long fire. Students spent the rest of the afternoon gathering ridge poles, building there shelters, and gathering materials for insulation beds along with firewood for the night.

Supper was issued out which was 3/4s of a cup of rice, 2 carrots, and a frozen hamburger patty. A short class on food prep and various cooking methods was given and then it was up to the students to decide how to cook dinner on their own fires.

The shelters worked great and they all agreed that they slept better with a insulation bed underneath them and a warm fire in front of them.

On Sunday the students were set out on their own to complete certain tasks and test their PSKs.

solo+1.JPG

solo+2.JPG

solo+4.JPG

Thanks for looking.

That is really cool. How often do you do the classes?

I appreciate you sharing this stuff; have learned a lot from your YouTube videos. :thumbup:

That is really cool. How often do you do the classes?

I appreciate you sharing this stuff; have learned a lot from your YouTube videos. :thumbup:

I try to do at least 2 classes a year for the Winter stuff. Glad you enjoy the posts.

Great thread. A DIY annex for a heated shelter does work but will be cooler than the rest of the shelter. Still a good place to toss gear or an extra person. Good play on covering the gaps. I also liked the parachute base camp and Mors supershelters.

lol... I love the amount of cotton woodland BDUs sported by the participants of the winter survival skills class... Didn't momma ever tell you that cotton kills, kiddos?

lol... I love the amount of cotton woodland BDUs sported by the participants of the winter survival skills class... Didn't momma ever tell you that cotton kills, kiddos?

It certainly increases the risk but as long as it stays dry it is a good material.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with wearing a cotton blend if you have a fire to dry out. I also know the military has been doing it for many years. But they have a whole system that includes Gore-tex, poly-pro,fleece, and wool blends that work well with a 50-50 BDU. In the end it is a choice you have to make depending on your experience, skill level, and the environment you are working in.

I realize cotton is fine if you keep it dry, and if you have a way to dry it out... But you could just wear nylon/fleece/goretex and never need a fire. Just my .02

Cotton inners or outers?

Wet cotton long johns makes me shiver
But wet wind resistant cotton blend outer pants are okay, they dry out with usage

Back