Winter Trip with Gossman

Scott, several forumites and I ventured into the Pennsylvania woods for a winter campout. We hiked in Saturday afternoon, made camp and stayed until Monday morning. It was a time of gear testing, knife play, shelter building, camp cookery and great comradship. The temp dropped to 8 above on Sunday night. We all did well with our choice of equipment and shelter type.

Scott "batoning" the Mother Tusker
IMG_3129.jpg

Big knot, no problem
IMG_3130.jpg

Blade Forums WSS Challenge knife blew through a knot
IMG_3123.jpg

Scott batoning again
IMG_3119.jpg

Taking a break from the wood pile on a homemade chair
IMG_3124.jpg

Reflective lean-to
IMG_3118.jpg

Almost Super Shelter
IMG_3116.jpg

Three shelters around a long fire
IMG_3142.jpg

One of the wood piles. Plenty of knife testing materials
IMG_3131.jpg

Jam knot tied bench around the fire
IMG_3125.jpg

PA woods from atop a nearby crest
IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

See the trail??
IMG_3133.jpg

Another camp view
IMG_3128.jpg

Night time conversation
IMG_3113.jpg

A very good time spent with a great group of guys.

Awesome, looks like you all had a great time!! That Mother Tusker is BAD ASS!!

P.S. What is all that white stuff on the ground?? :D

Thanks for posting up the pics LT. :thumbup: Always a great time. I was pretty satisfied with what I took along on this trip. My new Kelty Redwing 3100 pack was great. Tent, sleeping gear worked out perfect. Didn't get cold at nite. Thanks for the tip on the foot warmers and double socks LT. The chair was fantastic. Thanks to Jerry for rigging it up. Felt just like a lounge chair. All in all this trip went without a hitch.
Scott

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great time!

That mother Tusker is sweet!

Freakin terrific pics. You guys had a blast. That MO T is sweet!

Those chairs are amazingly comfortable. Thats all I use when Im not sittin on the ground.

Glad you guys kept warm. What was the eats for the trip? Lots of hot drinks I bet. Man I wish I couldve been there.

Kahuana great pics thanks for sharing! Wish I lived closer would love to do something like that with friends. That Mo T looks fantastic!

Mike

Looks like a lot of fun. Just in case it hasn't been said enough, the Mother Tusker is BAD!

Jake, the food consisted of Mountain House meals, Spam, Ramen, oatmeal, MRE's, venision steaks and different snacks. Drinks, coffe, tea, hot cocoa, Gatorade and lots of water. Amazing how you can get dehydrated in those temps.
Scott

Did I spy a BCUSA tarp in those pics...? :cool: Looks like you all had a good time. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Ski

awesome pics guys..:thumbup: wish i could have been there.. well maybe if it wasn't so cold..:eek:

Did I spy a BCUSA tarp in those pics...? :cool: Looks like you all had a good time. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Ski

Yup it certainly is. Hayseed uses it as his go to. I appreciate the design of the BCUSA and I realize the more utilitarian uses of a square (10x10) tarp as opposed to a rectangular. More set up options and no guessing which side is which as I did with my 10x12. All materials and workmanship being equal, go with the square.

So im curious about the condensation in the super shelter. Anyone wake up wet??

I have the 10x10 BCUSA tarp. Its freakin awesome. Square tarps kick butt. They are doin those in camo now, and have a run of ground sheets comin too. Mine is the Tan one.

That knot the MO T blew through is insane. Thats a hella cool knife.

I played around with a "Kinda" super shelter awhile back. Used the plastic sheeting and a space blanket reflector. A small fire really warmed it up inside. I didnt keep the fire goin all night just used it to warm it up. Really an efficent way to use firewood in the winter months. Especially when you only have one set of hands to cut wood.

fishfry119.jpg

fishfry120.jpg

Those pics were takin at IAwoodsmans advanced class.

Great looking set up Jake. :thumbup: I don't think anyone had a problem with condensation. Burn holes in the plastic and some of the tarps from embers was the biggest issue.
Scott

Back