WIP - Hydraulic Press Build

A few months ago, I started building a hydraulic press. This event seemed long in coming due to the fact that intense research on the subject had been going on for over a year. I’ve still got a ways to go but thought it would be good to share the build process to date and provide pictures as it progresses.

First a little background. I’ve looked at many press designs and have asked many questions of folks building them or using them. I’ve read James Baston’s press book at least 20 times.

The most impressive press I’ve run across belongs to Joe Caswell. I had the pleasure to speak with him a little over a year ago at the Pasadena Knife Show. He spoke of his press that he had automated to enable both manual up and down strokes with foot switches as well as timed up and down strokes with the ram moving at ~1 inch per second. This reciprocating ram allows a great deal of steel to be drawn out in a single heat as compared to a manual process. It is the type of control I set out to build. Thanks Joe!

The basic design is that of an H frame press. It uses W8 X 35 I-beams. Specs for other parts are below:

Motor – 7.5 HP
Pump – Single stage 5.2 GPM (Single stage is necessary to get repeatable timing for an automated stroke)
Cylinder – 5” X 8” Stroke

Press base starting to take shape.

PressBuild001.jpg

Mount for 7.5HP motor complete. Fabricating mount for pump.

PressBuild002.jpg

Motor mount and pump mount complete.

PressBuild004.jpg

Hydraulic tank mounted and top of base complete. Now to build the H frame.

PressBuild005.jpg

Pictures of beams prior to welding.

PressBuild006.jpg

Starting to tack weld top frame components.

PressBuild007.jpg

PressBuild009.jpg

PressBuild010.jpg

PressBuild011.jpg

PressBuild012.jpg

Last edited:
Welding done. Frame sand blasted, primer then black coat of paint.

PressBuild015.jpg

Dry fitting plates for ram guide.

PressBuild016.jpg

Guide pieces super glued together for drilling holes.

PressBuild017.jpg

Started out with countersink holes then progressively drilled larger to final tapping size.

PressBuild018.jpg

Started the 1/2 inch tap by chucking in the drill press. Removed power and belts from drive and spun spindle by hand to start tap. Once started, removed from drill press and finished by hand.

PressBuild019.jpg

Checking fit up of ram slides. Putting grease fittings in place as well.

PressBuild020.jpg

PressBuild021.jpg

Ram guide plate all welded up.​

PressBuild022.jpg

Well that's it for now. More to come...​

Eric​

Sweet!!! Nice job.:cool::thumbup: The biggest pain in the butt when making my press was drilling all the holes for the slider plates.:jerkit:

Eric, that's awesome! Makes me want to go out and make one myself!

Thanks for the nice comments. :)

Attached is a .zip file containing the Google SketchUp design for the press as well as an Excel spreadsheet I used for RAM, Pump, Motor calculations. I used it to run "what if" scenarios. Please keep in mind that this is just information I used for my design and there may be errors! Please do your own research before relying on any information that I have used.

I've made a few little changes to my press that may be a little different than what is attached in the SketchUp drawing. This drawing is what was used to prove out what needed to be done before wasting perfectly good metal. :thumbup:

Eric

Attachments

• HydraulicCalcsAndDrawingSample.zip
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,515
Everything looks clean and well planned out. I am impressed by your fabrication skills. This thread will be a real winner, I can tell. Can't wait to see more.

It looks great!Thanks for the drawing and datasheet! I'm thinking of building a scaled down version to start (4 inch cylinder run off a snowblower engine)

-Page

Very cool, love the way you built the guids, how do you attach the dies? Nice and compact, wish I'd built my a little smaller.

Thanks Will. I've not fabricated the die holders yet. That will be coming along next. I'll be looking at slide guides with pin holders on the front side for quick change.

Eric

Very cool, love the way you built the guids, how do you attach the dies? Nice and compact, wish I'd built my a little smaller.

Just make sure there strong, I had a lower drawing die punch me in the gut, it got out of alignment a little and didn't have a keeper. Not long I added a simple retainer, no more problems since.

Got some time today to work on the upper die holder.

Fabricating the slide rails of the die holder.

PressBuild023.jpg

Upper die holder complete.

PressBuild024.jpg

Lower die holder is next...

Eric

Very well thought out design on that press. I might just have to stop by for a test drive of that, the next time I'm in So. Cal...... I wish you the best.

David

Very well thought out design on that press. I might just have to stop by for a test drive of that, the next time I'm in So. Cal...... I wish you the best.

David

Hello David,

Thanks for the good comments. Any time you are in the area, let me know. You are welcome to stop by.

Eric

Back