WIP - Hydraulic Press Build

Great job Eric, she looks like she runs great. 40 ton?!!! Yowza, good thing you figured it out! Seriously, great job.

Hey Eric -- I've linked to this amazing build of your remarkable press a couple of times in different threads recently. Reading through this again, I continue to marvel at your genius and skills. The files are an even bigger bonus. The orbital CAD plans, the calculation spreadsheet and the parts list are a real gift. Oh ya, and the wiring schematic in post #49. How in the world did you figure all this stuff out? I hate to impose on your generosity further :eek: ...but do you have a shot of the wiring diagram that's more readable? Or anything else that would explain that to us lesser mortals? I read through a post by Joe Caswell in an older thread, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ydraulic-Press-question?p=5479237#post5479237, but I'm kind of glassing over. Mahalo my friend! -- Phil

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the nice comments.... This press has been in use for two years and is working just as I dreamed. Zero issues to date. As far as a better wiring diagram... that is as as good as it gets. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have though... I look at it and it makes perfect sense but my brain is a little warped... ;)

I'm so fired up to try some new Damascus after spending the last three days at the Visalia, CA Hammer-In. Tom Ferry gave an amazing class on Damascus using modeling clay to work out patterns. For all you guys that have a chance to get to this great event next year, it is a MUST! Here is the sample he took us through...

Phil, call me anytime and I can answer any question regarding this press...

Attachments

• TFDamascusDemo001.jpg
    TFDamascusDemo001.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 390
A set up like this is the best way to go, IMO. A universe better than using a log splitter valve.
Mine has been going strong almost 12 years now!

Congrats on a great build, Eric!

Joe, Thanks for the inspiration to complete this build! Could not have done it without your wisdom and help.

Eric

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the nice comments.... This press has been in use for two years and is working just as I dreamed. Zero issues to date. As far as a better wiring diagram... that is as as good as it gets. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have though... I look at it and it makes perfect sense but my brain is a little warped... ;)

I'm so fired up to try some new Damascus after spending the last three days at the Visalia, CA Hammer-In. Tom Ferry gave an amazing class on Damascus using modeling clay to work out patterns. For all you guys that have a chance to get to this great event next year, it is a MUST! Here is the sample he took us through...

Phil, call me anytime and I can answer any question regarding this press...

Thanks Eric! I'll try and do a screen capture of it from post #49 and print it out and see if I can read it. When I know what to ask, I'll pester you then. The clay studies look ntriguing. Some day I'll pick damascus studies back up. Indian George gave me a great start, but for now, I'm still hoping to get the basics down and a fair knife together.

Eric

Can you explain the filter routing to me?

In this photo, it looks like you are running full pressure through the filter?

PressBuild026.jpg

Hello Numbers,

The port the filter is hooked up to is the low pressure exit from the valve block. As you can see just below the filter I am using a standard hose clamp and a low pressure hose. High pressure could not handle this setup. The return from the filter dumps directly into the hydraulic fluid tank return. Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Eric

I have had a few people send me messages asking about my pressure relief valve plumbing. Here are some pictures of that setup. Let me know if there is any part of this that is not clear. The stem at the top of the pressure relief valve allows you to dump part of your high pressure out an exit port. By adjusting this stem and watching your pressure gauge, you can achieve the desired pressure.

PressBuild047.jpg

PressBuild048b.jpg

Is that valve on your PDF file ?
The parts list

No it was not on my original parts list. In post 78 I talk about discovering that a pressure relief valve is needed in my setup. When reading Baston's book, it talked about pressure relief as part of the hydraulic control valve. Well, the electronic control valves I chose did not have pressure relief adjustments. This is the valve I ended up getting --> 3/4" NPT 30 GPM 1500-3000 PSI RELIEF VALVE RV-2H --> http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6135-75-H&catname=hydraulic

It's WORKING! :thumbup::cool::thumbup:

Got it filled with hydraulic fluid this evening. Both automatic mode and manual mode worked first time! Man am I excited!!! :D:D:D

Here is a video of the press working in manual mode...

http://www.flemingknives.com/imagesPrime/LargePress/ManualPressSample_0001.wmv

Here is a video of the press working in auto mode...

http://www.flemingknives.com/imagesPrime/LargePress/AutoPressSample_0001.wmv

Thank you all for your input during this press build WIP!

I see squishing hot metal in my near future! :p

Eric

Hi Eric,

I've read through this thread and have a question.

In auto mode to you set the high and low point for the auto range? If so, how is this set? Just trying to get a sense of how easy is it to get to the desired thickness of the metal. Thanks.

Great work on this press!

Since this is a 14 month old thread, it might be better to send Eric a PM or email.

Definitely can do this but why not keep pertinent information in the appropriate thread, unless he is not an active member.

Hello PT Doc,

The low setting is set by the limit switch. High setting is set by the timer. High goes up the amount of seconds or tenths of seconds you set the timer switch. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss further. I can send you my phone number and we can chat.

Thanks for the reply. Seems very simple. Video was great and has planted a seed . Thanks again.

Old thread or not.... you did a fantastic job sir. I found this forum via a web search for hydraulic presses... being an amateur knife maker I am especially intrigued by the creation process of damascas. in a smaller shop this would be great.

Sticky!!!!!!

Like it or not Stacy, this thread brought me here.

Now you probably hate it even more... lol :D

Back