WIP to finished

This is about the 6th sheath I've made, and doing ok I think. But I'd love to hear some pointers from the pros here if you will.
I messed the stitching a bit on the back side. Holes didn't quite get straight through. But livable for me at this point. Better next time I hope.

Here are some pics of the process and finished work.

Shaped and oven dried about 175 deg.

sheathwork1.jpg

Welt cut out and glued to one side.

sheathwork2.jpg

Edges sanded. I rough shaped it on the belt grinder with a new belt first.

sheathwork3.jpg

This is the loop. I hole punched the smaller side and then used a .308 cartridge to hole puch the larger holes on each end. :)

sheathwork4.jpg

I just about ran out of thread. Good grief. The apprehension!

sheathwork5.jpg

knifeandsheath1.jpg

knifeandsheath2.jpg

knifeandsheath3.jpg

Very nice job Mark! On the knife too and you know how much I hate that handle material. How is the retention? Can you turn it upside down and shake it vigorously without the knife coming out? Your edges are very clean and nice, really like them. I would skive the top edge of the welt down to zero at the end, would make it a little cleaner there. Real nice work.

Very nice job Mark! On the knife too and you know how much I hate that handle material. How is the retention? Can you turn it upside down and shake it vigorously without the knife coming out? Your edges are very clean and nice, really like them. I would skive the top edge of the welt down to zero at the end, would make it a little cleaner there. Real nice work.

Thank you Dave. We can probably work out another trade if you really hate that wood. I have a bunch back from K&G, even more Manzanita. :)
Appreciate your advice on the sheath. I have ordered a skiver so the next one I'll give that a shot.
The knife won't come out, it's very snug. I learned quite a bit making this one, thanks to you and many others who post information here and Youtube too. There is a wealth of info out there, and I could not have done this without all that information.
So many thanks to all who are kind enough to share the info.

Heck Mark buddy, ya didn't order a skivver, cause I didn't make it, (Paul's design of course). Those razor blade ones are useless btw. A great idea that just doesn't pan out. Got like three out in the tool chest. I do most of my skivving with my roundknife. Heck just use the knife ya made there, looks like its got quite an edge to it. Ya bet, luv to help out all I can and ya know where I am. But great job again on that sheath, really nice edges. Just finished a belt for a guy with a 54" waist. Take a long time to hand sand that. Dedicate a 400 grit A/O belt for that and ya'll be good to go. I use it on an 8" wheel. One of my martingales (goes across the horses chest and helps stabilize the saddle) has 330 linear inches to edge and rub. Here Downtown Mister Brown has one on.

e0Ef7fl.jpg

I just ain't hand sanding one of those. Having the 400 belt on the 2x72 makes all the diff. Ya PM me lets trade.

Back