Wish list

How about a BT3.5 semi-skinner with deep hollow to convex grind in M390?
Deer hunting would never be the same again!

Just off the top of my head...BT4 in DC-53, fully contoured slabs, jimped with crisp edged section on spine ahead of the jimping for a firesteel. I want one each of a flat, hollow and convex. Too many handle materials to mention. Favorites are tortoise shell, satin linen micarta, blasted carbon fiber, moonglow, and some hardwoods like spalted maple and ironwood. Mosaic pins. I would dress them in kydex over a leather liner, horizontal carry. Matching firesteel.

I want to refine my wish list :D

Pikal (steel)
BT4.5 (no choil) in flat to convex edge, scalloped and black on orange, or all black, micarta scales (haven't quite decided on fat or normal handle, and what steel)
Carbidized Ti 8" Chef's or Santoku, micarta scales
Carbidized Ti Paring, micarta scales
Carbidized Ti drop-point necker w/ CF scales in thin convex or flat->convex
One nasty pure combat knife (5-8"), this one for bedside duty
Short sword
Chopper
I'll be needing a skinner and bird&trout sometime down the line as well... :)

Last edited:
Lightweight camp chopper. 11-12 inch.
Santoku laser with g-10
BT3 pure skinner
Sturdy but flexible stainless fillet knife.

:)

just in case you didnt know:

BT4 recurve
kitchen slicer santuko
pikal or narwarl (whatever that name is... gah)
tigress....
and a pocket bowie.

and something totally dif./new/mysterious.

all in micarta...

Hi Ban,

I've been enjoying your site. Any interest in your mind, out there on the horizon, for making a 12"+ blade, broad-blade (maybe 2" wide) machete-like chopper under 3/16" thick?

What would be the ideal steel for that kind of knife, in your mind?

Love the Tigress, but at .20" thick it's more than I need. I really like the handle design on the Tigress for controlling full-power swings, though--you can really see the payoff in your videos.

Thanks!
Will

Will,

I think 3V or M4 would be a good choice. Lets see what Ban thinks. Id be interested in something like that too.

I have toyed with the idea of a longer machete like chopper with thinner stock and high quality steel. I think that either 3V, A2, or even S7 would fill that role pretty well. M4 would also work but it would increase the cost significantly. I am still very partial to the Tigress because it has the speed of the machete while being easier to control. On top of that it is a very formidable chopper. In a recent test it actually chopped a bit better than the thicker and stouter competition chopper.

Thanks, Ban. I can see how the forward part of the Tigress blade has been lightened quite a bit with your grinds, so it makes sense that it would be very quick. If you need a solid order for an M4 machete to make it worth your while, I'm your man. :D

Back