Wissahickon Knives

Wissahickon Knives

@wissahickon_knives
Hello everyone! This is a bit of what I've been up to for the last week or so. I work in Southeastern Pennsylvania (Kennett Square) in a shop that I'm slowly getting set up to run smoothly (meaning I'm never finished squirreling away and throwing away money for tools). I've been cranking out custom orders for a while now trying to get ready for Christmas and, now that I've got that wrapped up, have finally got a chance to make a few of my own ideas. This is what I've been up to in the last week or so. Thanks for having a look.

All hardware is brass (corby bolts and 5/16" lanyard tubes).

Mousetrapper: Started out as a small game knife and I ended up using mine mostly for carving so I've been putting scandi grinds on most of them lately. This one is 3/32" 1095 with birch and a forced patina.

JyiVzQi.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kelpius: About as fancy as I get, which isn't saying much. I like seeing my knives used and don't have a ton of interest in something that takes a month to make and then never sees the light of day. Micarta is about as unglamorous as it gets but as far as durability goes, it's one of my favorites. 1/8" O1 tool, natural burlap and green canvas.

RCZHgTR.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Kelpius: this time in Black Ash Burl. Out of all my knives, I've probably attempted a belt finish on four of them. This was number three.
bGkuelY.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Chef: My kitchen knife. My brother makes wooden canoes and wanted to trade me one for a few of these guys. This is one of them, hence the ridiculous photo. 1095, forced patina, ivory paper micarta. You can see my first ever chefs knife hanging in the background.
PtnAfOl.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Critter: My pocket knife with no moving parts. More of a jacket pocket, I suppose. I wanted something small for hikes and such that I could use for carving. 3/32" 1095, orange G10 and Ivory paper micarta.
Y9o22ue.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Critter. My fourth attempt at a belt finish. A little trickier here because I can't use a scotchbrite belt to clean up your finish with a saber grind (not without washing out the grinds, anyway). Fortunately, I started to get the hang of it. 3/32" 1095, forced patina, Green canvas micarta with Orange G10 liners.
aTeCOgq.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ringneck: These started out as paring knives but a family member who is wiser than myself mentioned that he'd been looking for something like this for bushcraft purposes for some time. I took his advice because my original paring knife design was pretty lousy (3/32" is too thick for a paring knife, in my opinion). I plan to rework the paring knife idea but I'm keeping this design for bushcraft knives. 3/32" 1095, forced patina with orange G10, Ivory paper micarta with orange /white spacers and a black liner. This was a matching set for a father and son.
uccJyjb.jpg

Mapmaker: My most popular knife. This one started out as my ideal outdoor knife and I didn't really plan on making more of them but after I posted a photo to instagram I kept getting requests so here it is, probably forty knivess later. This one is 1/8" O1 tool steel with Black Houndstooth Micarta and black G10 liners with a forced patina.
srNMcdg.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Mapmaker: I just finished this one up. Flat grind, hand finished, 1/8" A2 with stabilized and dyed Redwood with 1/8" green G10 liners.
sf6NnPY.jpg

I guess that's it. It always feels like I got more work done until I look at the photos. Anyway, thanks for having a look.

-Matt

Back