WIth a little work, the Laredo is a VERY nice production Bowie.

Finally spruced up my CS Laredo bowie. Added a patina and full sharpened/polished the swedge. Now it's a hell of a fighting blade, and will be carried come colder weather. It's honestly surprising how easily it conceals, even under a t-shirt. The primary edge will split hair, and the swedge, although I thinned it out some is still fairly obtuse but will shave hair with no problems. I know there's a lot of people who are concerned about the tang of the knife, but to me this knife is more of a fighter than a utility blade. One of the best values in the knife world IMO for what you get.

1911laredo-XL.jpg

ar15laredo-XL.jpg

My only complaint about this knife in stock form was it was advertised as having a "fully sharpened swedge". It could cut you... maybe if you sawed a little bit with it, but it was dull near the tip on the back end as well. Now that I hit it with the belt sander, it's sharp as hell.

I've always been somewhat interested in the old laredo however for reasons unknown I have refrained from purchasing one I really love the old school traditional styling and construction of the knife. That patina looks amazing as does the swedge you added all in all that is a very cool knife:thumbup:.

I wouldn't hesitate on buying one if I were you. I was going for a damascus look with the patina. Makes me wish I had a bagwell.

I really love the look of the CS Laredo and that is one sexy patina you put on the blade 230. I've been eyeing for over a year but haven't taken the time to pick one up. When I do get one, I hope to add a crown stag handle to give it an "old west" look to it.

I would love to rehandle mine with some stag, the handles now are just "meh", but a nice piece of stag or even a good wood rehandle would go a long way.

You did a great job on that, it looks fantastic. I hope you're able to try a real Bagwell someday. It would go good with the Freedom Arms in your avatar:D

I have removed a little steel on mine to make the keen swedge sharpened, and haven't noticed that it makes any significant difference in the way it cuts. It does however, make it that much cooler. Especially in contrast to a nice patina. :thumbup:

I'm not convinced its a great deal at that price, but like many cold steel offerings it is alot of steel and finding a comparable offering for cheaper isn't easy.

I wouldn't hesitate on buying one if I were you. I was going for a damascus look with the patina. Makes me wish I had a bagwell.
That was the first thing that came to mind. Great work on that one. :thumbup:

Sadly, as much as I want one I don't think I could ever bring myself to shell out the $$ for a Bagwell. I could shell out 3k for a gun and not feel too guilty, but anything more than 700 or so for a knife and I start asking myself what the hell im doing.

I did a mustard application on my Laredo, coated it evenly and then dabbed with a small ball of crumpled paper towel. It took a really nice false damascus pattern.
I have only used it twice chopping and such but it actually is a good chopper, pretty even with my trailmaster.
Pretty hard to find a comparable bowie for the price
I am thinking about flattening the false edge with a file for a more camp useful blade, the belt stud carry is pretty comfortable .
picked up two sk-5 ones a few years ago for like 200 total so I will still have an original

ive redone a few of these for customers and they come out real nice. I used the existing handle, just slightly reshaped and added some texture to a couple of them to aid in grip retention etc.....

Nice patina! False edge does not need (and in fact should not be) as sharp as the primary edge for a good backcut.

Back