Wobble in a Western Boulder... fielding suggestions and free beer for all...

OK, not really any beer, but the flashy sign worked for that kid on the news from Utah!

I've got a Western Boulder 426 in otherwise outstanding shape, but the main blade has a bit of wobble and it drives me nuts. Not that it impedes function or is unsafe... it's just so nice otherwise.

I tried the padded vice and saw no change. I'd rather not go at it with the mallet, but I also can't repin it myself. So... suggestions/tips? Any guidance is much appreciated. (Including recs for a trustworthy knife guy who might fix it.)

You could try peening the pivot pin to tighten it up.
go light / slow, it is easy to over do it and make it way too tight.

Both ways of spelling vice the tool are correct ;)

Get some thick leather, wrap the bolster with it, lay it on a piece of soft wood to absorb the blows and use a small ball hammer to peen it. Do both sides but take it easy as flatblackcapo flatblackcapo advises, otherwise there won't be any talk in it....:eek:

Both ways of spelling vice the tool are correct ;)

Get some thick leather, wrap the bolster with it, lay it on a piece of soft wood to absorb the blows and use a small ball hammer to peen it. Do both sides but take it easy as flatblackcapo flatblackcapo advises, otherwise there won't be any talk in it....:eek:

I've done this once or twice with good success.
The pivot may show but a buffing wheel in a Dremel and some time compound or even toothpaste ( not the gel kind ) will take care of it.
At least this is what I have done anyway, I'm sure there are other and or better ways to deal with it.

Yeah, I second repeening it. I use a light 4 oz ball peen hammer, then sand/strop the pivot gently to blend it back a bit.

screened porch screened porch had a good tip to slip a razor blade in between the blade and liner, as a shim to prevent overtightening. Maybe tape up the edge first if you do this.

Last edited:
Yeah, I second repeening it. I use a light 4 oz ball peen hammer, then sand/strop the pivot gently to blend it back a bit.

screened porch screened porch had a good tip to slip a razor blade in between the blade and liner, as a shim to prevent overtightening. Maybe tape up the edge first if you do this.

Would have to be the old rectangular ones that are thinner and not a box cutter blade I'm sure.

I guess, if you want to be smart.
Never occurred to me.
Yeah I edited that last sentence in as an afterthought. You can never tell who might read it later on and try it, and what their skill level might be.

Would have to be the old rectangular ones that are thinner and not a box cutter blade I'm sure.

Definitely.

A feeler gauge works better as a shin, you can select the size you need and they aren’t sharp. You can get a whole set at Harbor freight cheap.

and for the price you can afford to cut a notch in the one you need to fit around the tang.

Good suggestions guys. I must admit I actually don’t use any kind of shim, just preferring a light touch.

Back