Wood and Leather Tactical.

I'm a dotcom burnout, but still- it's SO CHEAP to have a webhosting service and just put a directory of photos on your own website. So I do. Ms. Koyote actually handles the gimp (photoshop) aspects and scps them over, but I can't get anyone else to take the photos for me (yet).

the directory is www.koyoteknives.com/knives

These are beautiful knives,may I ask you how long and how thick the blades are?
By the way ,no pictures of my knives?:(

These are beautiful knives,may I ask you how long and how thick the blades are?
By the way ,no pictures of my knives?:(

The photos of yours are ...somewhere on Jessica's computer. She's going to get them up sometime in the next day or two- though they should be delivered to you by then! She's dealing with a death in the family and is going a bit slow right now.

The spanish dirk is 3/16 L6, about 18.5 inches overall. BIG BIG fighting knife. That lignum vitae leuku, IIRC, has a 5.5 inch blade. The canvas micarta slim leuku is about 5 inches on the blade, and the double edged one I posted up above :D

aloha christof ,wow that dirk looks awsome it looks thicker an longer than my boar hunter you made me,man i like your work its awsome the boar hunter i use every day to harvest haole koa for my pigs an cut trails,clear my yard i dig that blade,cant wait to get my new ones in,,keep up the good work,,,i might have to order a new boar hunter or maybe that dirk my wife always grabs it first when we go out i think its hers now,,,PM me ill pick one up after the holidays or when you got some time,,aloha

Funny thing, the guy I sold it to lives out in the country west of here and bought it to carry when woodrunning his dogs around- got it for pig defense when he can't carry a firearm!

Once I get your chopper and the other two done up, kalama, I'll work on forging out another two of those- A local bowhunter is also interested in one as a dispatch knife (here in CA you can't carry a kill pistol when bowhunting)

Sir ,your work is getting better and better and better.I have so many other knives I would like to order.And that sierra machete ---I can't get it out of my head.:D
And now this dirk :D
And some leukus:D
And some necker:D
And some---------:D

This is what a large spanish dirk looks like:

136-3.jpg

Good grief, Christof, that thing's a beast! I love it. Have you ever considered making a gaucho-type knife?

James

They don't only look good but they are tough as well.My first one from Christof was a forged 5160 that I abused a lot .It held up so well that now it is my go knife.It has the most comfortable handle I have ever had.The only down turn is the waiting time.We have to find some kind of tee or vitamins that would make Christof work 24/7 .:D

Maybe I need to do a spanish dirk thread :)

I'm penciling in stuff on the job board.

They don't only look good but they are tough as well.My first one from Christof was a forged 5160 that I abused a lot .It held up so well that now it is my go knife.It has the most comfortable handle I have ever had.The only down turn is the waiting time.We have to find some kind of tee or vitamins that would make Christof work 24/7 .:D

What I need is a better shop! I'm trying to figure out something that can move when we do once Ms. Koyote's nursing school is over. I've even considered a big trailer.

OOPS! wrong second pic! You meant the lignum vitae one :D

I was wondering about the dark finish comment. That one of the heavier ones, honestly, and still pretty light.

Yes, that one is mine. It's a good size knife @ 6.25" blade, 10.5" over all. It's well balanced and light in the hand.

That Spanish Dirk is a beast! What are the specs?

After the kitchen knives, maybe in Jan or Feb, I'm thinking about commissioning something. Christof do you do anything from customer drawings?

I have worked from drawings, it's sometimes a bit hard, sometimes not. Sorta depends on how close it is to what I do and how much leeway I have in doing it. I'm really mentally not cut out to be a CNC machine, but other than that it's fun!

I do want to make some guacho knives, but that's one of those things where I have to have time and all that. I'll probably wake up one day in the spring and just make one.

wulfshrunting- That thing is huge. But really well balanced for the job- it's 3/16 at the base of the spine, slight distal taper, full spine to edge convex grind all the way down. I tempered at a bit higher temp than normal to give the whole blade more toughness, but the edge is still about rc56. It shaves, and has a pretty dangerous tip. Handle is about 6 inches and the blade is a bit shy of 13.

The handle has a coumpound curve that you can see, and works out very well. Near the heel of you hands in a straight grip the rear bends down a few degrees, which is really nice for rear grips when chopping. It's very comfortable and balances just about an inch forward of the scales.

It's probably not really wood & leather tactical, it's a fighter. I dunno if combat and tactical are really that synonomous. For the military style ones I think in addition to cutting the blade won a bit I am going to bring the handle in some while trying to keep the "kink" in a workable and comfortable form. I may or may not stay with the tubing pins all the way up. I like them on a lot of knives, but not everyone does.

I do want to make some guacho knives, but that's one of those things where I have to have time and all that. I'll probably wake up one day in the spring and just make one.

Let me know when you decide to, because I've always loved that style of knife and I'd love to see what you'd do with it.

James

The thing that's been coming back into my head all day since your first post is a gaucho done like the modern seax pattern I do- this one is a 5.5 inch blade. I'm picturing it lengthened out to 7 or 7.5, with deeper edge drop, and an elongated and more rounded (in cross section) handle. Possibly even stick tang (I usually do my stick tangs through the butt plate and peened over)

62-1.jpg

62-2.jpg

139-1.jpg

139-2.jpg

The first two knives have the "expedition snappy"- similar to a large expedition sheath with a keeper strap for the knives.

Third one has a large deep pouch. It's a slightly smaller knife, with the blade at 7 inches (the other two are in the 9-9.5 range) and fits well in the pouch style.

I had to stretch a bit on these, very full convex grinds from spine down and sharp convex false edges. Forged from stock, to get some of the thickness and shape done.

Koyote Girl, as you can see, is adding touches to her sheathmaking- all of these have channels carved into the leather for the thread to fit flush with the sheath fronts. And she's added a bit of decorative shape to the pouch that just brings out our subtle ideas on simplicity in aesthetics.

Back