Wood Inlays

...My spalted beech basicly changed color after a few months. After cleaning and running it under warm water it seems to lighten up back to where it first was. Hope that helps a bit. Side note... lighter or darker, you will love it the same trust me

I have a small spalted beech inbound (sort of...it's locked up, pre-gifted to me for an upcoming occasion). I'm kind of anticipating it to change a bit over time with use. A little darkening and enriching from handling is going to be mind blowing! This pic doesen't come close to doing it justice (poor lighting), but it's as close as I can get to the knife for now.

IMG_1934.JPG

Bocote is my favorite CRK wood hands down. Like all woods, some are plainer while others have grain that is breath taking. Cocobolo can be nice also, but most I see is plain. I have it on some mnandi and 21's and its very plain compared to some of my bocote.

I have a small spalted beech inbound (sort of...it's locked up, pre-gifted to me for an upcoming occasion). I'm kind of anticipating it to change a bit over time with use. A little darkening and enriching from handling is going to be mind blowing! This pic doesen't come close to doing it justice (poor lighting), but it's as close as I can get to the knife for now.

Due to the amount of resin needed to stabilize wood like this and Box Elder Burl, I wouldn't expect this one to darken near as much as an unstabilized wood like Snakewood.

IMG_4610.JPG I've got a snakewood from 2007 that is extremely dark. In fact, you can hardly see the spots unless you hold it just right in the sunlight.

Thanks everyone for some really good info and it's interesting to see these inlays. I went with the Cocobolo, which is the one I wanted from the beginning. I'm looking forward to seeing how the color changes over time. Will post pics when it arrives.

I received the knife yesterday and am very happy with my choice. I really like the feel of the wood compared to the micarta, it's not better just different.
Pics as promised, also notice at the bottom of the last pic you can see the oils that have built up on the cloth from being in storage.
qC6mvZr.jpg

v8DjWFi.jpg

9QQYK4V.jpg

0bYGWkO.jpg

Thanks again for all the replies, I will probably resurrect this thread to show how much its darkened.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the darkening. I like seeing the inlays change color over time. All the wood inlays are so beautiful.

Informative thread. I never really thought of the inlays darkening but I guess it makes sense. Something to consider.

Sorry a tad off topic but what are y'all using to post photos? I want to put more things up related but photobucket stopped working for me.

Sorry a tad off topic but what are y'all using to post photos? I want to put more things up related but photobucket stopped working for me.
I would like to know also. I just picked up a Mnandi with bocote inlays and I want to post photos of it.
Thank you.

WOW, those Ironwoods are beautiful.
Mike Large and Easyrider I use Imgur to post photos, it's easy to use and doesn't bombard you with ads like Photobucket.

I just picked up this small Class with cocobolo inlays. It has seen some use than the wood is pretty dark. I don't know what they looked like new.

i.ashx

Back