Wood Jewel Knives

Does anyone have any experience with the Finnish made Wood Jewel Knives. I wanted to get a couple of nice bushcraft knives for my 13 & 7 year old for Christmas. Something that will last a lifetime. These look pretty nice but are not as expensive as knives such as the Helle and Kellum. The handles are nicely made from Reindeer antler and curly birch but I want to make sure that they'll stand up. I don't find a lot about them on Google.

I think they feel sturdiew than Helles, and are of great overall quality, although some of their handle shapes are a little weird to me.

Ragweed is where I found the one that I was going to get. It's called The Carving Knife and has a "3 blade. Only $49 dollars. Looked like a great starter knife for the younguns.

Woodjewel knives are good value. My wife picked for herself I believe the 10cm Carving knife last year from the factory outlet. I believe most of the blades are Lauri's, and the forged ones are made by Altti Kankaanpää and Toivo Jaaranen. This info is from the owner a couple of years ago.

glad other people are checking out these knives.. ive been lookin on Ragnars page for a while now tryin to learn more bout 1 the Helle Viking and 2 the Wood Jewel Skinning knife these both interest me and would also like to know of any reviews you guys might have about the wood jewels :rolleyes:

I have the 3" carving knife, and, as has been stated, it is well made and worth the price.

I'm just basing my opinions on the aesthetics from the pictures, but I far prefer the Lapin blades also sold by Ragnar. The wood jewels look overly decorated and the pommels look like the kind thing that will chip out if given to a young person. They look like they are designed more for eye candy than they are for using. That is just me though.

Having kids myself, I wouldn't expect anything I gave them at age 7-14 would last a lifetime. Give them a quality knife (no need for it to be pretty) and take the time to show them how to use it safely but on projects that are fun for kids to do. Spend time with them while using their blades in the outdoor setting. That way, you'll give them a hobby to last a life time and that is much better than an inanimate object.

Remember, you are drawn to knives and knife styles because of the symbolism it hold for you. Your kids may (most likely) have a different perspective, so find out what their wishes are. They might like a SAK with all its gidgets a thousand times better than a traditional pukku or perhaps a slightly tactical but similar sized fixed blade. Here is a good example, Brian Andrews made his son a couple of really cool knives, but it seems every time I meet him with his family in the outdoors, his son gravitates towards the mora with the red plastic handle and guard more so than the fancy one made by pops. I bet he really digs that red plastic and thinks it much more cool then the fancy burl of his fancy (by adult standards) knife.

Reactions: vba
Wood Jewel knives are not just eye candy. They are sturdy well made knives. I have owned several and now have 4. Redbeard, who took over Ragweed Forge with Ragnar’s passing is a good guy with fair prices and good products. Ragweed is where I get my knives.

Wood Jewel knives are not just eye candy. They are sturdy well made knives. I have owned several and now have 4. Redbeard, who took over Ragweed Forge with Ragnar’s passing is a good guy with fair prices and good products. Ragweed is where I get my knives.
You do know this thread is 11 years old? Ragweed is still good stuff.

Back