Wood Wedges

My rule of thumb for wedges is that one needs to be softer than the other by a fair margin. Or at least more elastic. I've used a hickory wedge but in an ash helve. Normally I use birch wedges in hickory.
Our sugar maple here in Maine is so hard and so inflexible it doesn't make good wedge material in my opinion.
Since trying, and getting amazing results with, yellow birch and paper birch (yellow is my favorite) I just can't see using anything else.

Sorry it was getting dark when I was taking those pictures.
Can you identify what kind of wood is that. I gave them stab and twist( pseudo-scientific Janka test). Last two pictures are of a piece I really like (seems harder then the rest) Thanks for any help, guys.

IMG-20200513-194859004.jpg

Can you identify what kind of wood is that. I gave them stab and twist( pseudo-scientific Janka test). Last two pictures are of a piece I really like (seems harder then the rest) Thanks for any help, guys.

Very hard to identify for me. But in the last three pictures I swear I see medullary rays. Which means oak. Not a species I'm familiar with though. And I'm not at all sure it is oak but that's my best guess!

I

I agree the third from bottom looks like white oak. The bottom two look different though almost has a cedar tone. The heartwood in eastern red cedar is very hard but probably not very likely and the red oak we have around my area isn’t as dark as those last two pics.

Back