Wooded Yard Tool Recomendation

Hey all! So, barring anything going really wrong my wife and I will be buying our 1st home at the end of the month. We don't have a massive lot, but it does back up to a small section of woods that was left by the developer so that the homes on the block all have lots that back into it. As a result about the rear 40% of the back yard is fairly wooded. Pics here if your curious ( https://www.instagram.com/p/B1SmfXFDST_/ ).

So I am figuring I'll need something to keep it managed, but don't really know what would be useful. This is pretty far out of my current normal needs. I already own a INFI Ratmandu, but don't know if that is sufficient. I am thinking a lite to medium duty longer field/bushcraft/chopper knife (6-8"?) ...or maybe a RMJ Hammer pole Mini-Jenny (or something functionally similar) to pair with the RMD, but...ahem..."tree shit" (to use a term from the Knifenuts Podcast) isn't exactly in my wheelhouse so any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm willing to pay for quality and I'll set the budget at $500, since that covers what I have been considering, but less expensive is always appreciated...Assume a skill level of zero, and a brand knowledge of same!

I am only looking to get one general broad use tool to help me maintain things.

Maybe I should just use this as an excuse to get a TM Hunt M18 lol....

Last edited:
A good gas powered weed wacker (string trimmer) and a machette is likely all you need. The only other thing might be a pole saw (gas or manual) for lower hanging branches. I've the same situation here and have never had any use for a knife in yard work (other than opening bags of seed/fertilizer/etc).
Rich

A good gas powered weed wacker (string trimmer) and a machette is likely all you need. The only other thing might be a pole saw (gas or manual) for lower hanging branches. I've the same situation here and have never had any use for a knife in yard work (other than opening bags of seed/fertilizer/etc).
Rich

Yeah a weed wacker (more for lawn) is on the list of "to get" items. The pole saw is a good recommend too, but more specialized that what I'm looking for here...but I'll probably look to get one now since trees issues are more likely to be out of my reach than not lol.

Didn't think of a machete tho thanks! Any recommendations on one?

You can buy any number of cheap machetes that will knock down brush, bushes, saplings and even small trees w/relative ease and, even if they bend/fail, their cost is negligible.

I've got one made by Gerber that costs less than $20 that you can probably buy at your local or national chain hardware store, not to mention online.

However, if you are looking for something more unique, I'd suggest that you'd consider a Japanese Nata. I've thought of buying one for sometime but my need for such a tool is limited and I've never bothered to buy one even though I'd still like to have one. The ones I've seen online cost around $50 such as this one here.

JapaneseNata_01_lifestyle_900x674_52d6b0be-61d1-48ef-9a36-c191bb4c4c31_900x.jpg
/

Last edited:
The broadest spectrum machete in my experience is the Baryonyx machete. Think of it as a large smatchet, a leaf-shaped blade with a brushhook. At 16”, long enough to be effective in grasses and weeds. Brush, cane and brambles are in its wheelhouse. Heavy enough to chop thicker branches well despite the thin blade.

For thicker stuff, the Condor Golok has worked well for me.

For a versatile lighter machete, I like a bolo. The concentration of weight towards the head aids its chopping ability. My favorite is the 16-inch Imacasa.

You can buy any number of cheap machetes that will knock down brush, bushes, saplings and even small trees w/relative ease and, even if they bend/fail, their cost is negligible.

I've got one made by Gerber that costs less than $20 that you can probably buy at your local or national chain hardware store, not to mention online.

However, if you are looking for something more unique, I'd suggest that you'd consider a Japanese Nata. I've thought of buying one for sometime but my need for such a tool is limited and I've never bother to buy one even though I'd still like to have one. The ones I've seen online cost around $50 such as this one here. /

Thanks! The Nata is an interesting looking tool, definitely like the idea of having something a bit unique, I'll look into them!

If I were you, I would consider the following:
One machete, possibly two.... one thin and one more rigid. My choice > Condor wood handled 18" El Salvador model and 16" Condor Swampmaster
Battery powered Weedeater/line trimmer; 40v or larger if it is primarily for your yard and not clearing a field. They last a good hour of trimming which is plenty of time for my yard. Go gas if you have a lot of trimming to do. No corded stuff! Do not buy Black & Decker unless you want to wait 24 hrs for a new charge. That goes for power tools also. A reciprocating saw (Dewalt 20V) is a great addition and very useful around the yard at times.
Pruning saw available at most home centers and hardware stores. Buy what you think is a fairly good one.
Pruners; one hand sized and one longer for bigger limbs or small trees and brush.
A reasonably good lawn mower. Not one of the $120 ones from Walmart. (If the yard is mostly flat and a push mower is your choice, don't buy a front or rear powered one as they render the mower essentially useless if they break and they do break.)
Shovels (spade and flat). I have found the little baby sized shovels really handy for flower beds and to carry in my vehicle for emergency use.

Chopper knives..... if you want a chopper and have little experience with them, go with a carbon steel one that is a lot less expensive that the ones such as CPK. Then use it and over time decide if you are likely to need a chopper knife other than a machete UNLESS you just want an excuse to buy an expensive one.

Oh... Congratulations on buying a house. It is a big step and for me a wonderful step.

If you have an electrician come to your house to do wiring and such, consider adding a direct hook up for a generator at that time. The cost was about $100-$150 or so for that.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with the others, you most likely need a weed-eater, pruners for large and small, a saw/pruner on a pole for getting up high, and a machete. I would not spend much time and money on knives to keep this space trimmed, you will grab a knife the least as they are not the most functional and efficient for keeping trees, brush and grass at bay.

Move in first and then see what tools you need.

It's fall so for most places the summer yard work tools will be going on sale.

Get good yard tools but spread that $500 around more than one thing.

If you want to get a nice knife to celebrate moving into a new house track down a Beer Scout and use it often.

If you want to get a nice knife to celebrate moving into a new house track down a Beer Scout and use it often.

^This. Let the environment dictate what tools you get. A knife as short as you're describing will be mostly useless in that environment. If going with a short chopper I'd suggest an Italian billhook or manaresso. Consider getting a good saw, like a Silky. Personally I prefer a good American scythe over a weed whacker, but you'd have to consider for yourself if that was a route that made sense for your context. A good set of pruning shears will allow you to make precise and tidy cuts that are cosmetically appealing when trimming back vegetation.

^This. Let the environment dictate what tools you get. ....
Definitely. But from my experience you will need a lot of things or you will think you need a lot of stuff especially when you first move in. There is time to buy stuff as you need it. Watch for sales on the stuff you know you're going to buy.

You do not need a chopper knife unless you just want one. More for fun than the smart choice for doing work.

Last edited:
IMO, for the pics you listed, I would grab a Ryobi 40V electric lawn mower from HD straight away. The string trimmer will clean up the edges nice but it's not a necessity if your budget is tight (similarly a hedge trimmer makes quick work of bushes but it can wait). When the budget allows, pickup a Corona Dual Cut Bypass Pruner for bush and small tree limbs (if you are smart you'll track down the leather holster on Amzn), a Corona 10" curved blade folding saw, and a Corona pole saw.

These should take care of most of your pruning needs. However, looking at your pics, I would be more concerned with picking up leaves in the fall. A strong blower helps push leaves into piles and can double for light snow. Full disclosure, I use a rake, but I'm pretty proficient with it, and already have a dedicated snow blower.

Last things I'll mention... I use a couple big zappers to keep mosquitos at bay near my grill and learn the timing of using crab grass spreader before a rain in early spring, and dandelion weed killer after a rain. A good Scott's spreader can double for weed killer/fertilizer and salt/CaCl spreader for the driveway in the winter. Last, keep your gutters and basement window drainage clean.... and make sure your sump pump backup is working and has a good battery.

If you must get something expensive and special, check out the Autine Leuku:

at-leuku-cb$01-autine-at-leuku-cb-01.jpg

No, but seriously, this was just an excuse to post a sexy knife. Dont spend $500 bucks on one tool. Even though it is really sexy and won't leave the morning after. Buying a house and moving is always, ALWAYS, more expensive than you think at first. You will have a way better use for your $500 soon, believe me.

IMO, for the pics you listed, I would grab a Ryobi 40V electric lawn mower from HD straight away. The string trimmer will clean up the edges nice but it's not a necessity if your budget is tight (similarly a hedge trimmer makes quick work of bushes but it can wait). When the budget allows, pickup a Corona Dual Cut Bypass Pruner for bush and small tree limbs (if you are smart you'll track down the leather holster on Amzn), a Corona 10" curved blade folding saw, and a Corona pole saw.

These should take care of most of your pruning needs. However, looking at your pics, I would be more concerned with picking up leaves in the fall. A strong blower helps push leaves into piles and can double for light snow. Full disclosure, I use a rake, but I'm pretty proficient with it, and already have a dedicated snow blower.

Last things I'll mention... I use a couple big zappers to keep mosquitos at bay near my grill and learn the timing of using crab grass spreader before a rain in early spring, and dandelion weed killer after a rain. A good Scott's spreader can double for weed killer/fertilizer and salt/CaCl spreader for the driveway in the winter. Last, keep your gutters and basement window drainage clean.... and make sure your sump pump backup is working and has a good battery.

Thanks for all the recommendations! Yeah there a lots of power tools that are budgeted for, mower, blower, trimmer, etc. I'll look into the pruners and saw. Gutters have shields already and the home is on a slab so no sump!

Thanks for the advice, yeah there is budget for other stuff, and I'm always willing to spend less money lol. Beer scout I have!

However, if you are looking for something more unique, I'd suggest that you'd consider a Japanese Nata. I've thought of buying one for sometime but my need for such a tool is limited and I've never bother to buy one even though I'd still like to have one. The ones I've seen online cost around $50 such as this one here.

JapaneseNata_01_lifestyle_900x674_52d6b0be-61d1-48ef-9a36-c191bb4c4c31_900x.jpg
/

BRB making a Japanese nata...:eek:

If I were you, I would consider the following:
One machete, possibly two.... one thin and one more rigid. My choice > Condor wood handled 18" El Salvador model and 16" Condor Swampmaster
Battery powered Weedeater/line trimmer; 40v or larger if it is primarily for your yard and not clearing a field. They last a good hour of trimming which is plenty of time for my yard. Go gas if you have a lot of trimming to do. No corded stuff! Do not buy Black & Decker unless you want to wait 24 hrs for a new charge. That goes for power tools also. A reciprocating saw (Dewalt 20V) is a great addition and very useful around the yard at times.
Pruning saw available at most home centers and hardware stores. Buy what you think is a fairly good one.
Pruners; one hand sized and one longer for bigger limbs or small trees and brush.
A reasonably good lawn mower. Not one of the $120 ones from Walmart. (If the yard is mostly flat and a push mower is your choice, don't buy a front or rear powered one as they render the mower essentially useless if they break and they do break.)
Shovels (spade and flat). I have found the little baby sized shovels really handy for flower beds and to carry in my vehicle for emergency use.

Chopper knives..... if you want a chopper and have little experience with them, go with a carbon steel one that is a lot less expensive that the ones such as CPK. Then use it and over time decide if you are likely to need a chopper knife other than a machete UNLESS you just want an excuse to buy an expensive one.

Oh... Congratulations on buying a house. It is a big step and for me a wonderful step.

If you have an electrician come to your house to do wiring and such, consider adding a direct hook up for a generator at that time. The cost was about $100-$150 or so for that.

Thanks for the advice, while admittedly I love an excuse to buy expensive toys, this was mostly to try and avoid that since I don't have a lot of property maintenance experience regarding wooded ares, most of the homes I have lived in were former farm land so...flat and grassy, a lawn mower and trimmer where all I needed for my parents homes when I was younger. It sounds like machete/saw/pruner is the way to go for a basic manual tool set for small jobs.

Back