Wooden handle knives

I have read that untreated wood has got anti microbial effect( especially cutting boards) but a lot are also saying that the porous wood breeds bacteria. I am thinking of giving some to my family but these are carbon steel blades with unfinished wooden handles. What is it you all are using?

Last edited:
it's a long standing debate. you really can't get a definite answer as there are different studies and opinions about this topic.

even different states in the US have different policies on for use of wooden chopping boards over poly boards.

i have different knives with different handles. untreated, treated, stabilized, unstabilized, micarta, synthetics etc.

i like the feel of wood and micarta the best. stabilized woods feel plastic-y. certain woods feel warmer than others. handle material is a factor for me. the treatment used in treated wood might end up seeping in the food if you're not careful, so that's gonna be a problem if it's not done correctly (treating of the wood).....

I use a mix of food grade beeswax and mineral oil to finish my wooden cutting boards. I do not use my wood boards for raw flesh(pork,chicken,fish...). I use a water based polyurethane for my knife handles. the poly is made for floors, so it is scratch resistant and wears well. I redid my dining room table with it 3 years ago, have not scratches or stains.
scott

Back