Wooden Wednesday - Traditionals only please

Wooden Wednesday with Woody the Boxer. :D

FN3S7Mo.jpg

85SMQg0.jpg

Wooden Wednesday with Woody the Boxer. :D

FN3S7Mo.jpg

85SMQg0.jpg

I have a huge soft spot for Boxers. I grew up with them, they are such wonderful companions. Sadly my most recent on, Allie, passed on a couple years ago from heart disease. She was just over a year old too.

Beautiful Ironwood on that 25.

I scooped up another Case 31 and figured I would put the two I have now together in a photo for Wooden Wednesday.

Iy7r80p.jpg

Thanks Dylan. Boxers really do make great additions to the family. This one has the greatest temperament you could look for. Woody is my grandson's pal. He's not going to be happy next week when my grandson returns to school.
Nice pair of 11031SH Case's. Real workhorses.

I have a huge soft spot for Boxers. I grew up with them, they are such wonderful companions. Sadly my most recent on, Allie, passed on a couple years ago from heart disease. She was just over a year old too.

Beautiful Ironwood on that 25.

I scooped up another Case 31 and figured I would put the two I have now together in a photo for Wooden Wednesday.

Iy7r80p.jpg

are those whalers? or regular case with sheepsfoot single blades

are those whalers? or regular case with sheepsfoot single blades

That's a good question. I am no expert on Case knives. In fact, this is the one pattern that they have done that I really, really like. However, I do believe the Whaler is something different. I've seen them with end caps and bails but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in.

I was told these are Case 11031SH or 31 Regular Jack.

Jack, the Whalers are a bit bigger, they're stainless vs CV Steel, and have bails. Those are regular Sheeps.

Thanks for the clarification, Bob. I didn't know about the steel difference.

much obliged for the info Bob, ive been deceived by some examples on the bay recently

The 31 I just picked up, the older of the two in the photo, was actually advertised as a Whaler, so I can certainly understand your confusion.

There ya go Mark. That shows some of the differences between the two. I see the 11031SH which is what Dylan posted, often erroneously called Whalers quite a lot. Especially on the auction site.

There ya go Mark. That shows some of the differences between the two. I see the 11031SH which is what Dylan posted, often erroneously called Whalers quite a lot. Especially on the auction site.

someone seems to have removed the bail on the one in the bay currently, i did consider it but didnt want to get into something i didnt know too much about

Same here, Bob. Any time you see a walnut handle and sheepsfoot blade its usually referred to as a Whaler. Actually, I prefer the 11031.:thumbsup:

Iy7r80p.jpg
Congrats on your additional wooden sheepsfoot Case, Dylan!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Such simple, yet elegant, knives! :cool:

Here is a Whaler. It is Cases 99 pattern. Bigger than the 31.
nSkuliZ.jpg
Thanks for the photo, Mark. 99 or 31, they're both extremely appealing "simple working knives" IMHO!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Speaking of simple, here's a wood-handled knife assigned to kitchen duty this week. Probably an example that, compared to the Cases, is simple, yet INelegant, but I still like it a lot! ;):thumbsup:
TxDDgoy.jpg

- GT

Congrats on your additional wooden sheepsfoot Case, Dylan!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Such simple, yet elegant, knives! :cool:

Thanks for the photo, Mark. 99 or 31, they're both extremely appealing "simple working knives" IMHO!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Speaking of simple, here's a wood-handled knife assigned to kitchen duty this week. Probably an example that, compared to the Cases, is simple, yet INelegant, but I still like it a lot! ;):thumbsup:
TxDDgoy.jpg

- GT
You bet GT! I agree, they don't have to be fancy. That MAM looks perfectly suited for kitchen duty!:thumbsup:

Back