Wooden Wednesday - Traditionals only please

Thanks for the kind words, Jack and Ron! :)
Came home from the vacation last Saturday; our time away was very enjoyable, but, as usual, we pay for it in trying to catch up the first week back! :rolleyes:

I'm enthusiastic about the ebony you gents posted today! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Some wood for me this week:
View attachment 1407235

View attachment 1407240

- GT

Thanks GT, glad you had a great break :) Wonderful wood there :thumbsup:

WILLIAM RODGERS SHEFFIELD is the mark on this vintage pruner with jigged wood handle scales:
View attachment 1411136
View attachment 1411137
View attachment 1411138
View attachment 1411139
The company dates back to 1830, and the lack of the country of origin suggests it predates 1891. It's in unused, uncleaned condition, just as I found it. Have a wonderful Wooden Wednesday! T-A

Handsome Pruner, typical of the 'William Rodgers' knives made by John Clarke & Son, and with the stamp they used at least as late as the 1960's, before the name later passed (briefly) to Meteor Industries, and then to Eggington, who still own the name today :thumbsup:

rdSP57a.jpg

My pair today, one in my pocket and the other in my lunch bag.
View attachment 1411157

Great-looking pair Chuck, I keep meaning to carry my Violon more often :thumbsup:

Fantastic big Jack Bill :thumbsup:

The knives came to me from Spain and UK, but I'm not sure where the wood originally came from:
View attachment 1411178

View attachment 1411179

- GT

Very nice GT :) The Desert Ironwood came from the USA :thumbsup:

Perfect pair Ron :)

CKepDeE.jpg

Jose, great looking photo of your lambfoot knives.:thumbsup: Seems that MM did a very nice job on that particular knife and of course the HHB is nothing short of wonderful.
I agree that MM does a good job of finishing out a knife... mine in bocote is very nicely finished. I just wish he'd learn how to do the blade grinding. Mine is, well, not good. Very pretty knife, though.

I agree that MM does a good job of finishing out a knife... mine in bocote is very nicely finished. I just wish he'd learn how to do the blade grinding. Mine is, well, not good. Very pretty knife, though.
I have to agree with you. I finally got my MM lambfoot sorted out but it was a real PIA. The fella that did the work re-profiled the blade and got it pretty well centered. The spring gaps were another matter but they were vastly improved. The covers that were on the knife were re-used but they did not turn out as well. Still nice though. MM should by his product but blamed the apprentice for the shoddy work. Refunded my $$$ and I got to keep the knife. I had shipped it back to him but he returned it to me. Took several months and lots of emails. In the end the experience left me a little soured on him but I really can't complain since I ended up with a knife for free. I think that I have put in $40 to get it sorted.

I have to agree with you. I finally got my MM lambfoot sorted out but it was a real PIA. The fella that did the work re-profiled the blade and got it pretty well centered. The spring gaps were another matter but they were vastly improved. The covers that were on the knife were re-used but they did not turn out as well. Still nice though. MM should by his product but blamed the apprentice for the shoddy work. Refunded my $$$ and I got to keep the knife. I had shipped it back to him but he returned it to me. Took several months and lots of emails. In the end the experience left me a little soured on him but I really can't complain since I ended up with a knife for free. I think that I have put in $40 to get it sorted.
I was going to send mine back, but in the end decided to not go through all the hassle and time/shipping. Like I said, it's a pretty knife, as long as you don't look at the blade closely. It sounds like the same "apprentice" must have worked on mine.
Lessons learned...

My wooden totes for the day... the ever-present mesquite 23, and my first GEC, the ebony buff jack.

naqbcxB.jpg

Handsome Pruner, typical of the 'William Rodgers' knives made by John Clarke & Son, and with the stamp they used at least as late as the 1960's,
I had trouble believing this knife was 19th century, but why no country name in the mark? The brass pins are hand-peened, suggesting pre WWII, and a steel pivot pin in nickel-silver bolsters, well that makes me think German, which makes no sense at all. The more I learn about this knife, the more unanswered questions I have! Thanks for the input
T-A

I had trouble believing this knife was 19th century, but why no country name in the mark? The brass pins are hand-peened, suggesting pre WWII, and a steel pivot pin in nickel-silver bolsters, well that makes me think German, which makes no sense at all. The more I learn about this knife, the more unanswered questions I have! Thanks for the input
T-A

No country name because it wasn't made for export to the USA. It's unusual that they never got round to adding it, but far from unique. I have a fair few William Rodgers knives, and not a single one has the country of origin on. I guess they thought 'Sheffield' was sufficient. All Sheffield-made knives have hand-peened pins, even today. It's because of the way they're manufactured, the 'pins' are actually lengths of wire, or sometimes even nails. The pivot pin would always be steel, but generally it would be polished to blend it in with the nickel :thumbsup:

Back