Woods Bladeworks TiTAN PRE-ORDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
#11-15 are looking good! The actions are tuned (the hard part) and the pocket clips fitted. All that's left is carbidizing some surfaces and taking the edges to my strop and a few polishing details. I will post pictures of your knives just prior to shipping like everybody else. Almost there. This batch will have 3 knives with brushed handles, nobody has seen the brush Ti combo yet! It looks amazing.

Is anybody EDCing their Titan? Is it even reasonable? Come on people lets here some stories about how you cut down a Redwood tree and turned it in to toothpicks using your Titan. Has anybody used their knife for anything other than flipping?

I tried to EDC mine but it has some minor issues. There is nothing else like this out there and the shape and general design are really nice. It looks amazing from a short distance. I just have some issues with the details.

The tip of the blade is right at the top of the handle so it snags on anything and if I accidentally brush along the top of the handle I'll catch the tip and cut myself.

It's a really nice knife and I really like the shape and design. I wish the cosmetic issues and the extra bit of tuning it needs to not be dangerous is a deal killer right now for me. Once the other knives are out I'm hoping Will will have some time and can take this back and fix it up even if it costs me a bit to have him redo some of the finishing on it and then re-laser on the serial number and logo. I hope he can figure out some way to get the tip down a bit since that is the only real deal killer.

In all of my dealings with Will he seems to be a totally stand up guy who is proud of his work and I know wants this to be just as perfect as I do. He's a great maker and I know he is doing the best he can to get these all out in a timely fashion and get them all perfect. If everything else about this knife wasn't so great I don't think I'd be so concerned about the last little bits! These really are quite the knife!

Last edited:
I know you expressed your issues with the knife previously, have you given Will the opportunity to fix them? Your post reads like a first rate kick in the nuts.

I tried to EDC mine. I really really wanted to like it. There is nothing else like this out there and the shape and general design are really nice. It looks amazing from a short distance. I just have some issues with the details. The detent was too weak and it kept coming open with just the tiniest movement and then stabbing me when I'd reach for it. I'd rather have to have more strength to get it open than it falls open leaving the blade exposed when carried.

The tip of the blade is also right at the top of the handle so it snags on anything and if I accidentally brush along the top of the handle I'll catch the tip and cut myself. The lockbar flexes so I can push down on it and get the blade to dip in about 1mm so that it doesn't stick out when closed, but there is no way to hold it there nor do I want the lockbar gap closed and the lockbar bent down at a wonky angle.

I kept looking at the unmatched uneven plunge lines and the very light stonewash with the very visible mess of scratches all over the blade. I wanted to like it but the flaws started to irritate me so I put it away. I did this hoping when I pull it out some time in the future I'll love it like I initially did.

In the mean time maybe I can to find someone to clean up the plunge lines, grind the thumbstud indent on the frame a bit so the blade sits lower when closed, deepen the detent hole and dissolve the detent ball in acid and inset a new detent ball with more protrusion so it doesn't fall open, and properly stonewash it or bead blast out the mess of deep grind scratches and then lightly stonewash it so it doesn't look so thrown together. Grinding down the thumbstud pocket will put the detent out of alignment so I'm not sure how to fix that. Maybe enlarging the detent hole slightly while deepening the thumbstud pocket will fix both of those issues. I hate to lose the laser etched logo and serial number when having the blade refinished but I'd rather it look nice. I'd also probably have them deepen the pocket for the pivot head as well or polish the head down so that it sits flush rather than protruding. That doesn't bother me near as much as being unable to carry it because the blade sticks up and snags and cuts anything that brushes against it like my pants pockets and hand.

It's a really nice knife and I really like the shape and design. I wish the little very irritating cosmetic issues and the extra bit of tuning it needs to not be dangerous weren't such deal killers for me. Once the other knives are out I'm hoping Will will have some time and can take this back and fix it up even if it costs me a bit to have him redo some of the finishing on it and then re-laser on the serial number and logo.

I know you expressed your issues with the knife previously, have you given Will the opportunity to fix them? Your post reads like a first rate kick in the nuts.
I didn't mean for it to. I was hoping I was expressing my disappointment in terms that it was personal issues to me, not necessarily a failure on the makers part. Will hasn't offered to address them, and I figure he is busy. I'm sure what issues are fixable he'll offer to address when he has time. I certainly hadn't intended for my post too come off as a kick in the nuts but reading back it certainly appears as if it could read that way. I'm going to heavily edit it. Thanks for acting as editor, because sometimes I need it!

Not a problem, hope my reply didn't come off harsh. Was honestly curious if Will had addressed your issues. I'm sure he'll do what he can to make you happy. Also keep in mind, this is a relatively new maker, making essentially 15 one offs of a somewhat ground breaking 1st generation design folder and we are lucky enough to be early adopters.

I didn't mean for it to. I was hoping I was expressing my disappointment in terms that it was personal issues to me, not necessarily a failure on the makers part. Will hasn't offered to address them, and I figure he is busy. I'm sure what issues are fixable he'll offer to address when he has time. I certainly hadn't intended for my post too come off as a kick in the nuts but reading back it certainly appears as if it could read that way. I'm going to heavily edit it. Thanks for acting as editor, because sometimes I need it!

OK maybe you missed post #378 in this thread, I responded to your post and said....

my goal is to make you happy. If you are not satisfied email me and I promise to make it right no matter what.

Either way my nuts are huge. Your gonna have to kick harder than that to make me flinch.;)

Thanks for your support and I'm glad you like your knife. If there are ANY issues I want to iron them out with you and fix them. Right now I am dividing my time between my day job, finishing my master's degree, and shipping these knives out. My priority now is to get #11-15 out ASAP. Please email me and we can work something out about your concerns. Lifetime warranty means just that. I work till your happy or your money back.

In a few months I will be making the transition from doing this part time to full time knife making. The last 6 months has been a huge learning experience for me and I can't believe how far I've come. The input from you guys and the forum as a whole has been invaluable.

Is anybody EDCing their Titan? Is it even reasonable? Come on people lets here some stories about how you cut down a Redwood tree and turned it in to toothpicks using your Titan. Has anybody used their knife for anything other than flipping?

I Pocket carried mine for a while until i got my holy grail knife, Benchmade 610 Rukus, the other day. It barely fits in my pockets, but it just makes. So far I have mainly used the Titan to mutilate cardboard boxes at work and open envelopes and plastic bags. Nothing makes me chuckle harder than opening the mail with a 13" folding sword. I have yet to take it out into the woods and give it a good beating, but that day is rapidly approaching.

I feel this thread is for the knife itself and the reviews should really be somewhere else.. And the complaints should be held in private to respect the maker. OR just sell it and be done. I don't have mine yet, so STFU :)

I feel this thread is for the knife itself and the reviews should really be somewhere else.. And the complaints should be held in private to respect the maker. OR just sell it and be done. I don't have mine yet, so STFU :)
I have to second this. I am waiting for delivery and this is a completely new design. I bought this knowing it was a man's first rendering of a concept and do not expect more.

I cut a big hole in my brand new TAD pants because the tip snagged and cut a 2 inch hole in the pocket after 10 minutes of wearing them. I got very shallow cuts on my fingers on it. I also dropped it CLOSED on my foot, which then bounced off and dented my floor which was my fault. I also separately cut the shit out of myself splitting my thumb webbing my fault, however I blamed the roller bearings and gravity to those around me to save face lol. I havent cut myself on one of my blades since the original black on black Kershaw Tilt came out. So after sufficiently feeling cursed and not wanting to be killed by "the lumberjacks back up when his chainsaw breaks" I sold mine after 2-3 days. I got offered a stupid amount of money and couldn't say no. However, now I almost wish I did. Will is an awesome guy to deal with and undertook a MASSIVE (No pun intended) project for a first folder. I showed mine to Mick Strider and all he could do is laugh and say that it was a badass knife. Actually, I showed it to pretty much everyone at the California Custom Knife Show and they all had the same thing to say, if anything at all.. Some were speechless but some said "WOW", "What the fuck is that?!", "OH DAMN" but I got it worst from my buddy "You're really trying to compensate for some inadequacies aren't you?"

Last edited:
Will,
Any news, been the number 14, think I will have to wait a little bit more :yawn:

I feel as though this is really 3 runs as one... and the last 5 will have the best knives :p first 5 got em first... So fix that tip snagging issue since you've had 'em an extra week :D

yes want knife.. 3rd run ship on monday! :D

I feel as though this is really 3 runs as one... and the last 5 will have the best knives :p first 5 got em first... So fix that tip snagging issue since you've had 'em an extra week :D

yes want knife.. 3rd run ship on monday! :D

These are looking wicked! I'll shoot photos Sunday night and send out emails confirming shipping addresses.

#11 is looking TIGHT! And with the 2nd gen adjustments I can't wait :D heheh thanks Will for all the time you've put into making us as happy as possible :D later!

Monday morning update!

These bad boys look amazing! Just have to toss in for final stonewash, polish, flaming, and cold solder in the stop pins. Emails are going out confirming your address, expect emails tonight. More pics to follow...

20121022_083147.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back