Woods Bladeworks TiTAN PRE-ORDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE!

OK as promised here are pics of the grinds before I send them of for heat treating. I'd did these a bit different than the prototype and they look fantastic! Firstly I ground the swedges before I did the main bevels. This was MUCH easier and the result was faster and more accurate. Secondly since this is 3V and not 5160 like the prototype I am sending them off to be heat treated and can get away with a much more refined edge. This time around I went to 40 thousandths on the edge so the secondary bevel wont be a ridiculously massive as it was on the prototype. I started with a 12 deg bevel and then stepped it down to 8 deg and finally finished at 4.5 deg.

After grinding it all out I just wasn't satisfied with the surface finish of the carbide counter bore that milled the bearing pockets. For this flipper to be silky smooth BOTH surfaces that the roller bearings contact must be parallel and smooooth. To make it all perfect I turned down a 2" sanding disk kit to 11/16" on the lathe and used the laser cutter to cut 11/16" disks of adhesive backed sandpaper in 60,120, and 220 grits. Now I can chuck up the custom sized surface grinding wheel and smooth out the bearing pockets.

Next step is to get the handles sanded down, reamed to size, and tapped for pocket clips. Then I'll make the pocket clips and do all the finished surfaces in preparation for the blades to come back from heat treating. Everything looks good and on track!

IMG_20120619_142914.jpg

IMG_20120619_143717.jpg

IMG_20120619_143725.jpg

IMG_20120621_173702.jpg

IMG_20120621_183120.jpg

IMG_20120621_185410.jpg

DSC01216.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01219.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

DSC01222.jpg

A-fucking-mazing!

Looks great! That top down of the swedge where it meets the flats is perfect! My only question is the 3rd to the last photo the grinds look like one side is deeper and the other a bit more shallow, leaving an asymmetrical cutting edge. Was this on purpose? Is it just the photo? Or was this just a practice blade that got over ground on one side? Thanks for the update and hope to see a group shot too :D

Looks great! That top down of the swedge where it meets the flats is perfect! My only question is the 3rd to the last photo the grinds look like one side is deeper and the other a bit more shallow, leaving an asymmetrical cutting edge. Was this on purpose? Is it just the photo? Or was this just a practice blade that got over ground on one side? Thanks for the update and hope to see a group shot too :D

Its just the photo's depth of field playing tricks on you. These are 100% symmetrical.

Also I like the picture with the second bevel, it loooks like a spear point, if you can finish mine that way (14) I prefer this way to have a more robust blade, more capable of prying, it is just my taste

Also I like the picture with the second bevel, it loooks like a spear point, if you can finish mine that way (14) I prefer this way to have a more robust blade, more capable of prying, it is just my taste

OK remember it's a knife, a hell of a massive strong knife, but not a pry bar. Use any knife as a prying tool regardless of grind style it WILL FAIL. Also remember this is CPM-3V gentlemen! There simply is no other steel (LOL I'm talking to you INFI) that delivers this level of toughness and shock absorption at 60-61rc. Anything short of an abusive destructive test will be just fine for flat grinds on .25" CPM-3V.

William,
I read that the best RC will be 59-60 rc, this for shock resistance and overall use, I said this without experience, just what I read on the properties of the steel, and also what other makers do with the 3V steel like CRK, and Keffeller

CPM® 3V

CPM 3V is a high toughness, wear-resistant tool steel made by the Crucible Particle Metallurgy process. It is designed to provide maximum resistance to breakage and chipping in a high wear-resistance steel. It offers impact resistance greater than A2, D2, Cru-Wear, or CPM M4, approaching the levels provided by S7 and other shock resistant grades. CPM 3V is intended to be used at 58/60 HRC in applications where chronic breakage and chipping are encountered in other tool steels, but where the wear properties of a high alloy steel are required.
Mechanical Properties

Impact Toughness
CPM 3V offers impact toughness (Charpy C notch) approaching the shock-resistant tool steels, with much greater wear resistance.

Wear Resistance
CPM 3V offers substantial improvements in tool wear life when compared with conventional tool steels such as A2 and D2. CPM 3V’s high vanadium content offers wear resistance similar to M2 high speed steel.
Mechanical Properties
Heat Impact Wear
Treatment (1) Toughness (2) Resistance
H.T. HRC ft-lbs Joules Adhesive (3)

CPM 3V A 58 85 113 6
CPM 3V B 60 70 95 7
CPM 3V C 62 40 53 8
S7 D 57 125 165 1
A2 D 60 40 53 2-3
D2 E 60 21 28 3-4
Cru-Wear F 62 30 40 5-6
M2 G 62 20 27 8-10
CPM M4 G 62 32 43 20-25
Notes:
(1) Heat treat process:
A = Hardened 1875°F (1025°C), double tempered 1000°F (540°C)
B = Hardened 1950°F (1065°C), triple tempered 1000°F (540°C)
C = Hardened 2050°F (1120°C), triple tempered 1000°F (540°C)
D = Hardened 1750°F (955°C), double tempered 400°F (205°C)
E = Hardened 1850°F (1010°C), double tempered 400°F (205°C)
F = Hardened 1950°F (1065°C), double tempered 975°F (525°C)
G = Hardened 2050°F (1120°C), double tempered 1025°F (550°C)
(2) Charpy C-notch impact test
(3) Crossed-cylinder adhesive wear resistance (higher number = better wear resistance)

William,
I read that the best RC will be 59-60 rc, this for shock resistance and overall use, I said this without experience, just what I read on the properties of the steel, and also what other makers do with the 3V steel like CRK, and Keffeller

CPM® 3V

CPM 3V is a high toughness, wear-resistant tool steel made by the Crucible Particle Metallurgy process. It is designed to provide maximum resistance to breakage and chipping in a high wear-resistance steel. It offers impact resistance greater than A2, D2, Cru-Wear, or CPM M4, approaching the levels provided by S7 and other shock resistant grades. CPM 3V is intended to be used at 58/60 HRC in applications where chronic breakage and chipping are encountered in other tool steels, but where the wear properties of a high alloy steel are required.
Mechanical Properties

Impact Toughness
CPM 3V offers impact toughness (Charpy C notch) approaching the shock-resistant tool steels, with much greater wear resistance.

Wear Resistance
CPM 3V offers substantial improvements in tool wear life when compared with conventional tool steels such as A2 and D2. CPM 3V’s high vanadium content offers wear resistance similar to M2 high speed steel.
Mechanical Properties
Heat Impact Wear
Treatment (1) Toughness (2) Resistance
H.T. HRC ft-lbs Joules Adhesive (3)

CPM 3V A 58 85 113 6
CPM 3V B 60 70 95 7
CPM 3V C 62 40 53 8
S7 D 57 125 165 1
A2 D 60 40 53 2-3
D2 E 60 21 28 3-4
Cru-Wear F 62 30 40 5-6
M2 G 62 20 27 8-10
CPM M4 G 62 32 43 20-25
Notes:
(1) Heat treat process:
A = Hardened 1875°F (1025°C), double tempered 1000°F (540°C)
B = Hardened 1950°F (1065°C), triple tempered 1000°F (540°C)
C = Hardened 2050°F (1120°C), triple tempered 1000°F (540°C)
D = Hardened 1750°F (955°C), double tempered 400°F (205°C)
E = Hardened 1850°F (1010°C), double tempered 400°F (205°C)
F = Hardened 1950°F (1065°C), double tempered 975°F (525°C)
G = Hardened 2050°F (1120°C), double tempered 1025°F (550°C)
(2) Charpy C-notch impact test
(3) Crossed-cylinder adhesive wear resistance (higher number = better wear resistance)

After talking with the experts at Paul Bos heat treating we settled on a target of 60rc with triple tempering. Paul has been heat treating 3V for years so I am confident these will be perfect.

I was wondering if these will have the Paul Bos heat treating logo etched onto the blades? I think that would be kind of cool. Also just wondering if you decided to round over the edge of the thumbstuds/bladestop pins or leave them like they are on the proto? Knife is looking great:)

Will, sounds great :D I'm sure these will turn out amazing! Thanks for taking the time to respond to our questions man! The grinds look sweeeet :D :D

I was wondering if these will have the Paul Bos heat treating logo etched onto the blades? I think that would be kind of cool. Also just wondering if you decided to round over the edge of the thumbstuds/bladestop pins or leave them like they are on the proto? Knife is looking great:)

The blades will have my mark, the serial #, and a CPM-3V designation. The thumbstuds will be getting a treatment in the tumbler to debur all the edges.

Will, sounds great :D I'm sure these will turn out amazing! Thanks for taking the time to respond to our questions man! The grinds look sweeeet :D :D

Hey I know what it's like to wait for custom work your really looking forward to. Anything I can do to make that waiting process a little less painful is time well spent to me.

Thank Will, I'm sorry to bother you, I know that you are doing the best as possible

No bother man. If you have questions, ask away!

Hey I know what it's like to wait for custom work your really looking forward to. Anything I can do to make that waiting process a little less painful is time well spent to me

:thumbup:

Doesn't sound like June 30th will happen. Any updates? Thanks.

Like I said in the original pre-order post there are only two things out of my control for this delivery date. Water jet cutting and heat treating. The water jet cuts went without incident on schedule.

The heat treating is taking longer than expected. I will update you guys the moment I get the blades back from Idaho. Everything will be ready to go once I get the blades back. I'll put the finish on them and sharpen them up and assemble and ship them out.

Sorry for the delay fellas, I know how much you guys want these in your hands but I want these blades to be right and that means waiting for a quality heat treat job.

If you have ANY questions don't hesitate to ask.

I'm pumped for these. I am very glad to see you are so meticulous about making sure everything is perfect. I can't wait to carve a turkey with mine!!!! Thanks alot and Keep up the great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back