WooHoo! My 2021 Kitchen Kith Knife Arrived.

The edge is actually super thin, I don't have a micrometer to measure it, but it got blurry in the picture.

I love this handle material, it's cholla with turquoise
I just googled cholla, did not know they made handle scales out of cactus. There is some pretty amazing stuff out there.

I've never had any luck getting a good choil shot, I think it's near impossible to do it hand held. Like you said, the edge is blurry in the picture so there is no way to tell how thin the knife is. What I was referring to was the second picture, where you can guess how wide the secondary bevel is. I'd say it's around 1mm wide, maybe even a bit over. If you sharpened at 15 degrees per side, the thickness behind the edge would be about 0.5mm/20 thou (2*1mm*sin(15°)). But I'm just guessing from a picture and some assumptions about the sharpening angle, so I might be way off.

You can measure the edge thickness with regular calipers and get a good idea (within a few thou even with the most basic calipers). If you have a set of feeler gauges, you can lock the calipers on a gauge of known thickness and then see if you can insert the blade into the caliper jaws. I like to use locked calipers to see how consistent the edge is based on how far I can insert the blade. It's much quicker than doing multiple measurements with a micrometer.

I just googled cholla, did not know they made handle scales out of cactus. There is some pretty amazing stuff out there.

I've never had any luck getting a good choil shot, I think it's near impossible to do it hand held. Like you said, the edge is blurry in the picture so there is no way to tell how thin the knife is. What I was referring to was the second picture, where you can guess how wide the secondary bevel is. I'd say it's around 1mm wide, maybe even a bit over. If you sharpened at 15 degrees per side, the thickness behind the edge would be about 0.5mm/20 thou (2*1mm*sin(15°)). But I'm just guessing from a picture and some assumptions about the sharpening angle, so I might be way off.

You can measure the edge thickness with regular calipers and get a good idea (within a few thou even with the most basic calipers). If you have a set of feeler gauges, you can lock the calipers on a gauge of known thickness and then see if you can insert the blade into the caliper jaws. I like to use locked calipers to see how consistent the edge is based on how far I can insert the blade. It's much quicker than doing multiple measurements with a micrometer.
I meant calipers, not sure why I said micrometer.

FredyCro FredyCro The tracking info on my package shows three delivery attempts today and now says "Available for pickup".
Yes, got the note, I hope to pick it up tomorrow morning! Sorry, I am on a tight schedule since I started new work, so I hoped they would come on Sat. The good thing is that post is infront of my apartment.

I got H Hubert S. knife today and it's really sweet.

It's a 175x50mm nakiri in thin (1,5mm if I remember correctly at) AEBL (OAL 325mm) with a one piece cocobolo WA handle (Edit: the handle is frame style, but it is so well made that the line can only be seen under very close inspection, I didnt even see it at first) . The execution is flawless, straight bevel with a 0 grind, slight convex, handle is perfectly simetrical and well mounted to the blade. It cuts like you would expect from such a grind, real laser.

I think Huberts picture don't show the quality of finish as good as they should :) I tried my best here.

WtkfGIy.jpg

ZLRLio2.jpg

0FYY1qA.jpg

XsfSxqo.jpg
z30KA1c.jpg

And next to a gyuto and nakiri made by me. Nowhere as clean of a finish on my blade as on Huberts.
VgEWnf8.jpg

I also cooked my first dinner with it and it perfomed excellently, I will post pics and some cutting vids when I get the time and would like to give a long term review personally to Hubert after using it some more.

Big thanks to Hubert and a what a great knife!

Last edited:
I got H Hubert S. knife today and it's really sweet.

It's a 175x50mm nakiri in thin (1,5mm if I remember correctly at) AEBL (OAL 325mm) with a one piece cocobolo WA handle (Edit: the handle is frame style, but it is so well made that the line can only be seen under very close inspection, I didnt even see it at first) . The execution is flawless, straight bevel with a 0 grind, slight convex, handle is perfectly simetrical and well mounted to the blade. It cuts like you would expect from such a grind, real laser.

I think Huberts picture don't show the quality of finish as good as they should :) I tried my best here.

WtkfGIy.jpg

ZLRLio2.jpg

0FYY1qA.jpg

XsfSxqo.jpg
z30KA1c.jpg

And next to a gyuto and nakiri made by me. Nowhere as clean of a finish on my blade as on Huberts.
VgEWnf8.jpg

I also cooked my first dinner with it and it perfomed excellently, I will post pics and some cutting vids when I get the time and would like to give a long term review personally to Hubert after using it some more.

Big thanks to Hubert and a what a great knife!
Thank you, Fredy! I look forward to hearing what you think after using it a bit more. I hope the handle is not too small for you, it looks really skinny next to the other two knives.

So, here the recipe with more pics and vids.

Pork and veggies stir fry

I have been doing a lot of this quick stir fry dishes. I usually use whatever meat and veggies I have in the fridge.

This one was with the cut offs from the pork filet mignon. I cut the meat in thin squares the day before and marinated it with some sunfloweroil, soya sauce and garlic.

I used 2 red peppers, half a fennel, 2 carrots, 2 gloves of garlic and a hot yellow chilli.

For the sauce I covered a big spoon of fermentated soya beans with a cup of hot water, addes a spoon of ketchup, a spoon of plum marmelade, rice vinegar and fish sauce, 2 small spoon of rice flour to thicken it.

Heat up your pan (hot), add the meat and fry for a min or two, add the veggies for another min or two and keep mixing. Add the sauce and finally add some fresh herbs (coriander, parsley, basil or thai basil are good).

Serve with steamed rice and some peanuts or other nuts on top.

s3MHomf.jpeg

zZKfimB.jpeg
j8q8PHi.jpeg
q4VyA7L.jpeg
pMJEQDy.jpeg
iYFLMHe.jpeg
1KwK55j.jpeg

And the cutting vids, I thought I was faster but camera tells the truth 😁

Got my KITH today from FredyCro FredyCro in Austria! It is a beautiful double S grind with a very comfortable coke bottle handle out of natural micarta, and rounded spine/choil. I just unboxed it today and made a salad to go with a nice grilled pork chop and it works great! I am looking forward to using it daily so I can give proper feedback.

One negative, I think the package was slightly abused. The knife got pressed hard into the saya, causing the saya to split on the glue seam, and a tiny scratch on the spine of the knife. Neither bother me in the slightest. Maybe the saya was clamped too hard in glue up? Maybe the Austrian postmen should lay off the roids? lol.

Got my KITH today from FredyCro FredyCro in Austria! It is a beautiful double S grind with a very comfortable coke bottle handle out of natural micarta, and rounded spine/choil. I just unboxed it today and made a salad to go with a nice grilled pork chop and it works great! I am looking forward to using it daily so I can give proper feedback.

One negative, I think the package was slightly abused. The knife got pressed hard into the saya, causing the saya to split on the glue seam, and a tiny scratch on the spine of the knife. Neither bother me in the slightest. Maybe the saya was clamped too hard in glue up? Maybe the Austrian postmen should lay off the roids? lol.

Finally it arrived! Sorry for the saya, I should have packed the knife better (the oversea flights can be abusive to packages). The fit to saya was actually a nice slip fit, do you think the saya can be repaired, maybe a couple of drops of CA glue?
There was one scratch on the spine near the handle that I managed to put it while finishing the saya, and was afraid to refinish :(
I hope that you like it, and would love a longterm feedback on the steel performance as well (I did the HT). Thanks!

Finally it arrived! Sorry for the saya, I should have packed the knife better (the oversea flights can be abusive to packages). The fit to saya was actually a nice slip fit, do you think the saya can be repaired, maybe a couple of drops of CA glue?
There was one scratch on the spine near the handle that I managed to put it while finishing the saya, and was afraid to refinish :(
I hope that you like it, and would love a longterm feedback on the steel performance as well (I did the HT). Thanks!
Definitely an easy fix. It is a clean split, maybe 2 inches along the top of the saya and there is no other meaningful damage. A couple of drops of CA and a light clamp will fix it right up. The spine scratch is close to the midpoint of the blade and I immediately knew it was from shipping given the perfect finish literally everywhere else. Also an easy fix.

Plain light color background for choil shots seems to work best. Some guys put their fingers in a v at the choil distance to help the camera focus at that distance. Pay attention to the light and where it is coming from too.

Hey that's a very good thin grind, thumbs up. This is the kind of geometry a slicer needs. no thick BTE business.

Thanks! It's on a 190mm funayuki.

Been working on refining my grinds and stuff on these 2 since the KITH!

White #1 san mai 210mm funayuki at 64 rockwell and 3/32" 210mm Nitro V Funayuki at 62 Rockwell:
ozioReC.jpg

Choil of the White #1 funy:
uPWT5ma.jpg

Choil of the Nitro V Funy:
RMVcup1.jpg
those look like nice profiles and slicey grinds, i prefer the well defined 90 degree heel area of the sanmai gyuto.

I agree; I think the 90 degree heel looks cleaner too. I will probably do the 90 degree on the Nitro V when I am back in my shop this weekend. I want to clean up the neck on it more, too. Going to try to throw a take off handle on it soon so I can try the grind out to make sure it is thin enough towards the spine and doesn't wedge.

Does everyone have their knives now? Other than Hubert? I was sanding on his yesterday. Should be done on the weekend.

I’ll post a review of the knife I got tomorrow.

if everyone has their knives, Stacy will un-sticky this thread.

Does everyone have their knives now? Other than Hubert? I was sanding on his yesterday. Should be done on the weekend.

I’ll post a review of the knife I got tomorrow.

if everyone has their knives, Stacy will un-sticky this thread.
I have a list at home and will check it later. If I remember right, I still have N Nick-D 's knife on the list and figured you would be the recipient. Is that the one you got?

I'm still waiting on mine, but it's all been discussed and communicated so unsticky if needed. I'll follow and post when ready so it will get bumped anyway

We'll leave it up until they arrive. Just let me know when all have showed up, or when you want me to unstick the thread.
BTW, nice knives from you chaps!

Back