Wool Winter Coats?

Anybody have any experience with the Woolrich wool field coat? It seems to get good reviews on the woolrich website and sells for about $200 new...

Do yourself a favor; look for an original vintage Navy Peacoat on fleaBay.
The wool they used is by far the nicest I've ever had the pleasure to wear.
It's quite a bit heavier than even Filson wool, and very dense to block the wind. I got mine for $50; it's a 1966 Coast Guard issue and is one of my favorite coats of all time.
Looks great on me too.
Go here to learn all about Pea Coats.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING
Lenny

My ex-Navy buddy found the issue peacoat very lacking in wind resistance, damn near froze in his on occasion in cold weather and/or when the wind blew. Would have been 1970 issue.
As much as he's mentioned that, I'm surprised to see such favorable mention of it here.
Denis

the double mac is a great coat, but it's built for rather sedentary activities- riding a horse in cold weather, sitting in a blind, back of sled dog team :)

if much walking is entailed it's going to overly warm and it's quite heavy as well

depends on what you need in the way of a coat, it's certainly a quality coat- one that you should be able to pass on to your kids

they (Filson) have a pretty extensive line, look through it- might be a coat that is a better "fit"

Back