Work in Progress! .315" A2 Steel

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Time for a W.I.P.!

I had an idea for a slicy/pointy fighter utility last night and did my best to draw it up... I only have about 10 minutes into the CAD but wanted to get the general idea down, as you can see it needs refinement.

sliceypointy_zpsa0e750b2.png

I used the mill to cut a slot. This part took a while! This is a piece of 1.5" tall .315" thick A2 tool steel. The slot got cleaned up with a file and sand paper.

082-10_zps080ed176.jpg

Profiled, cleaned up, holes drilled, chamfered and everything is squared up on the horizontal grinder.

085-4_zps303a3aee.jpg

Sounds great! I can just see this one with a wharnie blade.

So far it is fast in the hand for a big knife, I think the balance will be really nice. I had to walk back up from the shop in the dark and I wasn't scared of bears as I was carrying it. :D

I might go with MCAM G10 for the scales and some sort of compound grind, it will probably be a bit like the one drawn in.

Looks to be about a foot long, with a 6" blade? I like those specs. Maybe an arched tanto-poon with the wraparound convexed grind at the tip...

I'll shoot an idea by you.

I'm verging on making some .25" Desert Digicam on natural micarta, if you'd like a slice or two! It'll be c. 8 X 12" when I'm done, and I only need a little, so...if DF or anyone else wants some when I do it, let me know here or at thebaconguy AT that g-thang DOTCOM.

Very interesting Daniel. Is there a purpose for that large hole on the blade other than looks?

Looks to be about a foot long, with a 6" blade? I like those specs. Maybe an arched tanto-poon with the wraparound convexed grind at the tip...

I'll shoot an idea by you.

11.25" long with a handle just over 5".

Tanto poon, I like it! Good eye too!

I'm verging on making some .25" Desert Digicam on natural micarta, if you'd like a slice or two! It'll be c. 8 X 12" when I'm done, and I only need a little, so...if DF or anyone else wants some when I do it, let me know here or at thebaconguy AT that g-thang DOTCOM.

When you are done let me know! That sounds killer, desert digicam on nat can... wow! I'll trade you something if any is left after everyone gets a shot.

I'll probably be making some my-carta this summer, fun stuff!

Me likey!

Curious to see the grinds on it!

Thanks! I will do something fun for the grind. Compound action!

Very interesting Daniel. Is there a purpose for that large hole on the blade other than looks?

Thanks!

The hole will change the balance up a fair bit along with a few other things I am doing. It takes out a lot of metal where it is the thickest. It really does not serve any major purpose though, it's just part of the package. I want this one to be thick yet fast so I'm doing everything I can to get it that way. ...which to me makes all the difference!

I'm going to see if I can get this one heat treated today! I'm now thinking Blue Twill for the scales.

Sculpted Blue Twill with high hollow grind for the slicy section and polished convex tip! YES!

That's about what I am thinking! I'm debating between a flowing Japanese style tip or a steep compound style one. Either way it will be fun!

I plate quenched this one earlier after a 35 minute soak at 1725F, it is in the temper oven right now! I am tempering at 425 for roughly 60 Rockwell.

Man I'm tired! I also heat treated 11 kiridashis with an oil quench/plate combo and did a bunch of kydex and custom work. :D

I plate quenched this one earlier after a 35 minute soak at 1725F, it is in the temper oven right now! I am tempering at 425 for roughly 60 Rockwell.

Man I'm tired! I also heat treated 11 kiridashis with an oil quench/plate combo and did a bunch of kydex and custom work. :D

Daniel, not that i have any doubts but do you or would you put a vid up of this .315" fighter slicing when finished? If it's going to be a chisel ground convex blade. I do remember the Pirate sword slicing and that's when I got hooked and emailed you about owning some of your work. The Pirate sword was convex on both sides if i remeber correctly. This is gonna be a Kool Fighter for sure.

Sid

Daniel, not that i have any doubts but do you or would you put a vid up of this .315" fighter slicing when finished? If it's going to be a chisel ground convex blade. I do remember the Pirate sword slicing and that's when I got hooked and emailed you about owning some of your work. The Pirate sword was convex on both sides if i remeber correctly. This is gonna be a Kool Fighter for sure.

Sid

I'll try to do that, sounds fun!

It is a hollow chisel with a convex edge, I ground it yesterday. The grind is high and it is thin behind the edge so the geometry is there... we will see! The tip is steep for strength like most of my knives.

I say convex edge but it is close to flat for ease of sharpening. I think almost any time a knife is sharpened by hand (belt here) it winds up that way.

The Pirate Sword is a convex chisel, cool you remembered it! It is a true zero bevel sword and made for cleanly chopping soft tissue. :eek:

It is fun to try and push a concept hard, I love this stuff!

Last edited:
Hey what ever happened to the Waki you were working on forever ago Daniel? Last time I heard you were bustin' your butt handsanding the thing. You didn't give up did you? :p

Hey what ever happened to the Waki you were working on forever ago Daniel? Last time I heard you were bustin' your butt handsanding the thing. You didn't give up did you? :p

I still have it! The hand sanding is pretty much done, I just need to fit it in. Good idea!

The A2 knife plus one in .125" S7 both were epoxied up today! I went with grey burlap scales that glow blue/green on the S7 one... it is going to be cool.

Loving the fact the mill is broadening your horizons with time, precision and creativity. Can't wait to see the grind you put on this one and everything else you're working on- Keep it up!

I haven't purchased a Fairly knife yet in 2013 after getting officially addicted to your blades at the end of 2012. We're going to have to change that soon...:cool:

Cool!
Daniel- You are like Serge! You just keep bringing nice knives to the front!
Rolf

Loving the fact the mill is broadening your horizons with time, precision and creativity. Can't wait to see the grind you put on this one and everything else you're working on- Keep it up!

I haven't purchased a Fairly knife yet in 2013 after getting officially addicted to your blades at the end of 2012. We're going to have to change that soon...:cool:

Thanks! It is fun learning the mill...

Look out for more gear soon, I have a bunch that is getting close.

Cool!
Daniel- You are like Serge! You just keep bringing nice knives to the front!
Rolf

I'm trying! Man Serge is rocking it, I saw those frickies.

I'm alternating between trying to meet demand, finish old orders, make one off's and get the folders in gear! A bit of everything is getting closer every day! lots of fun here...

Back