Work in Progress - Friction Folder! One-off...

I'm glad everyone is excited about friction folders! I have a few coming up!

My new design is so good I'm not showing one until it is done... I'll probably start on a few in a week or so.

Yes, and this little guy resides in a pouch and sometimes in my pocket :)

Bring on the next friction folder!

Nice job dude. Any thought about a little jimping on the back of just the tang to give it a little more tactical swagger?

Nice job dude. Any thought about a little jimping on the back of just the tang to give it a little more tactical swagger?

I like the idea!

I have been using the mill or files to jimp the occasional knife, I may do some on the next round of friction folders. Good stuff!

I've been thinking about friction folders a lot recently. I want to try making one for myself. How's that little mill you got working out for you?

I like the idea!

I have been using the mill or files to jimp the occasional knife, I may do some on the next round of friction folders. Good stuff!

Good luck 44. ^ It would be easier to order one from Daniel.
I really like the friky but that tang sticking out bugs me once in awhile. That's a friky though. Also, mine must have a pocket clip.

I'm typing all caps: THIS IS INSANE!!!!

^ I like that! :cool:

I've been thinking about friction folders a lot recently. I want to try making one for myself. How's that little mill you got working out for you?

Mill - if you want something to throw money in get a boat or a mill! :D The mill is a good one though, I like it.

You can make frickies with a drill press that is well tuned, just like with a mill you can use a dial indicator/shims to tram it in better.

How to soup up a drill press- Remove the work rest, chop the column, use a 1-2-3 block to raise and lower your work instead of the mill table. (they can flex)

There is a bit of a method to locating your stops and making the tang, just let me know if you need any help.

Good luck 44. ^ It would be easier to order o
ne from Daniel.
I really like the friky but that tang sticking out bugs me once in awhile. That's a friky though. Also, mine must have a pocket clip.

Maybe and I don't even take orders! :D Cheaper I know that.

You can make a knife/folder on a budget though, I kind of kid...

You're getting the SSIK folder but you're going to want the new design too! :D I made the tang longer as part of the design but it really works... I can grind it shorter too!

lol! Thanks Daniel!
The longer tang is BETTER, as you already know!
Can not wait, Daniel!

Any frikies done yet?
:D

I'm doing some tuning work to the mill, it is simple but I keep needing one more tool!

I have edm stones on the way so I can deburr my table as that is effecting the tramming process. My tramming tool was defective so i'm also working on that, I'm just going to make one after all of the time I have spent trying to get it right. This is all done to ensure the best pivot hole possible... I admit I'm being pretty particular about this but the results should speak for themselves. Once I'm 100% on the mill tuning I'm devoting most of my time to folders with Kitchen Knives and Titanium being my other focus.

Totally dig the look of this friction folder. 1/4" 5160 is insane. What's the weight of that thing if I may ask?

In my mind and for the short time I've been admiring your work you've always been the Ti guy in my mind. A huge 1/4" blade seems a little out of character. What was the rationale behind this? It seems like it would be a little bulky and the 1/4" blade would be durable but give up some ability as a slicer although I have had some pretty thick blades that worked well enough. I'd love to see a pic of this beast in hand.

For a small friction folder I personally think a Thinner Ti blade with carbidized edge would be the bees knees. Light weight, smaller profile and , frankly, would scream Fairly. Still, I totally dig this knife.

Back