1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Workbench for home sharpening station?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by GregNYC, Jun 15, 2018.

1. GregNYC

GregNYC

Nov 4, 2008
    My wife is kicking me and my stones out of the livingroom. I'll have to use another room. I won't be able to use the kitchen sink, either.

I figure I need a sturdy workbench, say 28-33" high and a shop-stool with a back (I know some folks sharpen while standing, but my back needs support). Any ideas for a workbench sturdy enough for all the push-pull?

Any suggestions for a small workbench and stool?

Thanks!

2. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
  3. GregNYC

GregNYC

Nov 4, 2008
    Thanks Daniel and SteelJunkee. I saw these options too. I'm not a DIY-er, so Home Depot looks promising. What do you use?

4. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
    I don't have a dedicated sharpening setup but i have good bench in my garage so i use that. But if i wanted a permanent setup with something from HD I would consider one of these 2. It really depends on what you need.

If you don't have much space this is cool.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.wall-mounted-work-table.1001074157.html
    If you have a bit more this would be good.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.reloading-workbench-with-backwall.1001052205.html

There might be more interesting choice in store also but these seems good options.
    And they should be sturdy enough to not wobble with use, especially the first one :)

5. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    sharpening.jpg Greg, here's my setup, with a early Tri-hone on top. We work shows and this is very portable and holds everything I need in the shelf below for a 3 day show of sharpening. I really enjoy working off the large stones. Plus, the stool pockets hold brushes and tools to tighten & clean knives/ blades. DM

Daniel, SteelJunkee and lex2006 like this.
  6. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    A whole bench for sharpening ?
    Can't use the kitchen ?
    Why ? (just do it when she isn't home).
    It takes so little equipment . . . the Edge Pro Apex in a little bag . . . a Tupperware tub with some stones in it . . . a neoprene mat to protect the counter and LOCK the stones down.
    The tub and the Edge Pro bag could go under the bed if you can't negotiate some kitchen cupboard space (I store most of mine under a cupboard ; can't even see it).
    Here is how simple it can be (see my very old and only YouTube) : a mat and a stone (guess who's holding the camera ? The Chef !).
    Besides water stones work better with a source for RUNNING water. And in my opinion if you aren't using water stones you're just playing anyway.

7. GregNYC

GregNYC

Nov 4, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the links and pictures. I actually don't need much lateral space at all. But since I use waterstones, I need a source of water, and a place for the extra water to fall. Even a small source needs a bit of horizontal surface. I'm thinking of getting a Shapton Pond, and the working surface doesn't need to be much bigger than this.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  8. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I've been looking at a couple benches at Sam's club. I don't have links yet, but I'm pretty sure they are nationally stocked items. They look solid. One with wood top, and another with steel. I think they may come with optional casters too.

GregNYC likes this.
  9. GregNYC

GregNYC

Nov 4, 2008
    The wood-top Sam's Club benches are smaller than I saw at other vendors. I've gotta ask my wife if we're members....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  10. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    There is a wood top double wide bench. One is more like a cabinet. Also some online only that have adjustable heights.

11. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Go to the Harbor Freight web site and search "workbench."
    You'll find lots of inexpensive options.

12. GregNYC

GregNYC

Nov 4, 2008
    Will do. I keep hearing about Harbor Freight in the knife community. We don’t have too many around NYC....

13. BigJim2x

BigJim2x Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Years ago I needed something similar. I went to a local lumber yard and they had a couple of kitchen base cabinets that were left over from a project where too many had been ordered. They sold me one for $20 and gave me a scrap piece of countertop to put on it. Not saying you could or couldn't find something like that but it may be worth a look see if there are any local lumber yards aside from a big box - couldn't see them doing that- but I have 3 different independents within a 1/2 mile of me.

14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Harbor Freight does mail order.

15. bgentry

bgentry

Aug 3, 2009
    Harbor Freight is definitely cheap. Some of their stuff is a great bargain and worth having. Other stuff is just... well, it's cheap junk. Which is why some people I know call it Harbor Junk. I'm not sure I'd buy one of their benches; though I did go look at some a while back.

Brian.

16. trailhunter

trailhunter

May 15, 2018
    Tell them Its harbor freight and to respect it. A smart buyer will leave there with bargains and usable tools whereas an uninformed buyer will leave there with junk.

17. bgentry

bgentry

Aug 3, 2009
    Well... I have to admit that I'm one of "them". I call it Harbor Junk too. But, I have some tools from them that are OK. Their socket drive allen drivers are decent. They aren't high precision at ALL, but they seem fine and they work for big allen heads. The price is right. Something like 1/4 of the price of good tools. So yes, their stuff has their place for sure.

I bought one of their flexi-drive 1/4" adapters. Like something you'd use to fit through a slightly bent passage with a socket at the end of it. It's like a spring with a 1/4 drive on each end as an extension. That thing lasted for about 3 uses and then disintegrated. I'm out $8 and now I know better. Their cheap multi-meters aren't even worth opening the packaging. I tried. Now I know better.

Ok stuff at great prices, mixed in with relatively terrible stuff at great prices.

Brian.