Workbench for home sharpening station?

My wife is kicking me and my stones out of the livingroom. I'll have to use another room. I won't be able to use the kitchen sink, either.

I figure I need a sturdy workbench, say 28-33" high and a shop-stool with a back (I know some folks sharpen while standing, but my back needs support). Any ideas for a workbench sturdy enough for all the push-pull?

Any suggestions for a small workbench and stool?

Thanks!

If you are of the DIY kind, I love this https://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/11/26/a-dedicated-sharpening-bench-part-1

sharpening-bench-final-pics-0021.jpg

Thanks Daniel and SteelJunkee. I saw these options too. I'm not a DIY-er, so Home Depot looks promising. What do you use?

I don't have a dedicated sharpening setup but i have good bench in my garage so i use that. But if i wanted a permanent setup with something from HD I would consider one of these 2. It really depends on what you need.

If you don't have much space this is cool.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.wall-mounted-work-table.1001074157.html
If you have a bit more this would be good.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.reloading-workbench-with-backwall.1001052205.html

There might be more interesting choice in store also but these seems good options.
And they should be sturdy enough to not wobble with use, especially the first one :)

sharpening.jpg Greg, here's my setup, with a early Tri-hone on top. We work shows and this is very portable and holds everything I need in the shelf below for a 3 day show of sharpening. I really enjoy working off the large stones. Plus, the stool pockets hold brushes and tools to tighten & clean knives/ blades. DM

A whole bench for sharpening ?
Can't use the kitchen ?
Why ? (just do it when she isn't home).
It takes so little equipment . . . the Edge Pro Apex in a little bag . . . a Tupperware tub with some stones in it . . . a neoprene mat to protect the counter and LOCK the stones down.
The tub and the Edge Pro bag could go under the bed if you can't negotiate some kitchen cupboard space (I store most of mine under a cupboard ; can't even see it).
Here is how simple it can be (see my very old and only YouTube) : a mat and a stone (guess who's holding the camera ? The Chef !).
Besides water stones work better with a source for RUNNING water. And in my opinion if you aren't using water stones you're just playing anyway.

Thanks everyone for the links and pictures. I actually don't need much lateral space at all. But since I use waterstones, I need a source of water, and a place for the extra water to fall. Even a small source needs a bit of horizontal surface. I'm thinking of getting a Shapton Pond, and the working surface doesn't need to be much bigger than this.

Last edited:
I've been looking at a couple benches at Sam's club. I don't have links yet, but I'm pretty sure they are nationally stocked items. They look solid. One with wood top, and another with steel. I think they may come with optional casters too.

The wood-top Sam's Club benches are smaller than I saw at other vendors. I've gotta ask my wife if we're members....

Last edited:
The wood-top Sam's Club benches are smaller than I saw at other vendors. I've gotta ask my wife if we're members....
There is a wood top double wide bench. One is more like a cabinet. Also some online only that have adjustable heights.

Go to the Harbor Freight web site and search "workbench."
You'll find lots of inexpensive options.

Will do. I keep hearing about Harbor Freight in the knife community. We don’t have too many around NYC....

Years ago I needed something similar. I went to a local lumber yard and they had a couple of kitchen base cabinets that were left over from a project where too many had been ordered. They sold me one for $20 and gave me a scrap piece of countertop to put on it. Not saying you could or couldn't find something like that but it may be worth a look see if there are any local lumber yards aside from a big box - couldn't see them doing that- but I have 3 different independents within a 1/2 mile of me.

Harbor Freight is definitely cheap. Some of their stuff is a great bargain and worth having. Other stuff is just... well, it's cheap junk. Which is why some people I know call it Harbor Junk. I'm not sure I'd buy one of their benches; though I did go look at some a while back.

Brian.

Harbor Freight is definitely cheap. Some of their stuff is a great bargain and worth having. Other stuff is just... well, it's cheap junk. Which is why some people I know call it Harbor Junk. I'm not sure I'd buy one of their benches; though I did go look at some a while back.

Brian.

Tell them Its harbor freight and to respect it. A smart buyer will leave there with bargains and usable tools whereas an uninformed buyer will leave there with junk.

Tell them Its harbor freight and to respect it. A smart buyer will leave there with bargains and usable tools whereas an uninformed buyer will leave there with junk.

Well... I have to admit that I'm one of "them". I call it Harbor Junk too. But, I have some tools from them that are OK. Their socket drive allen drivers are decent. They aren't high precision at ALL, but they seem fine and they work for big allen heads. The price is right. Something like 1/4 of the price of good tools. So yes, their stuff has their place for sure.

I bought one of their flexi-drive 1/4" adapters. Like something you'd use to fit through a slightly bent passage with a socket at the end of it. It's like a spring with a 1/4 drive on each end as an extension. That thing lasted for about 3 uses and then disintegrated. I'm out $8 and now I know better. Their cheap multi-meters aren't even worth opening the packaging. I tried. Now I know better.

Ok stuff at great prices, mixed in with relatively terrible stuff at great prices.

Brian.

Back