Workbench photos

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well I've started arranging things in my new place, my attic keep as it were, which means I do not take up the dining room/kitchen table for my 'projects'

The folks who lived here before setup basically a kitchen counter arrangement and hung a peg board on the wall, the lady of the house did a lot of sewing so that was her sewing room, mighty hot in the summer let me tell you ! There are several windows so I can put fans in there but still, she be hot.

And I imagine it will be a bit chilly in the winter time, which is drawing close now.

But, it's a start, so I arranged some of the pegs to fit certain tools, cut a section of rubberized cork to act as an bumper to keep my small knife blade from hitting the ring of steel in the holder. Now the rest of the area isn't in the photo, as the doors are all nicely painted pink, this will change soon....I hope.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

also hanging on the wall are things I use to make my lanyards out of paracord as well as my key chain with the celtic bead, so everything is in handy reach.

It's a start! While I do not take fixed blade sheath orders, oddly enough the first sheath I made in my new house/shop was for a small fixed blade that I recently got at Ashokan this past weekend, knife is made by John April and I highly recommend folks to get one from him as soon as you can, he makes a wide variety of knife designs, this one is pretty sweet, blade at just about 3" with about a 3" handle so it's on the small buy very handy size knife.

IMG_1564 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1561 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and starts with two layers for the welt to provide an opening that helps to make it easier to insert the knife, in the welt I shaped a small convex section to act as a cam and then a shelf that the guard will hit and not allow the knife to go any further, retains the knife very well. I also make the belt loop to be a the length of the sheath, so that allows the sheath to move around instead of being a fixed item on your belt, if it gets bumped it will move for you, and helps when you go to sit down too. I use the bob tailed fob as a means of drawing the knife from the sheath, I hook my pinky around the diamond knot and then place my thumb at the opening of the sheath and lever the knife clear of the sheath in a smooth controlled manner.

IMG_1562 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_6955 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_6959 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

So, that's the start of my work area and also my first sheath out of there too.
I remember a long time ago there was a thread about people's workbench, maybe time to get some fresh images up of how they are setup today :)

G2

I've studied those pics while sitting up in bed getting ready for a good nights sleep ( remember I'm in OZ , so I'm ahead of most of you guys in time )

The clean lines , the simplicity , the enthuisiasm for all things " knife " .
Gary sleep well in the knowledge that you " Did Good "

Ken

Thanks guys, and Ken yes there are several items on the wall that are more towards knives, some of the sanding film was gifted to me by Tim Wright this past weekend at Ashokan, he's such a good egg, he gave several rolls to some of the guys there, these work great for finish work and I also use them as final sanding on my welt/edging of the sheath as well as burnishing them.

Hope you had a good sleep in OZ :)

G2

Thanks for sharing, Gary. I, too, enjoy seeing other folks workshop set ups. Gives me ideas for what I'd like to do with my space at some point.

Good deal Gary. You'll like it so much better than having to set up and tear down all the time. Great pics and organization.

Looks very much like the lil workshop I built a short time ago. I love me some peg board! I haven't used the shop much until today when I worked on 3 knives.
I need to get off my lazy butt more often.

Nice bench Gary. It really helps to have a dedicated place to work. I like everything about this post, the bench, the beautiful leather work, the knife and finally the fob. As a side note, you know what they say about a neat desk.....

Hehe what what you do not ‘see’ is a bit of a mess and is out of camera view...
G2

Back