Working on the current batch

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Here's where I'm at on these...

I'm currently getting all the scales ready for glue-up. I drilled and countersunk everything then sanded the ends of the scales to around 400-2000 grit depending on the material. I have a few hours just into the teak scales so far!

Here's what we have in the photo -

2 on far left - smaller edc proto's (not to be confused with the legal edc... I need a name for these!) one in Krypto/green glow in the dark and one in Black/White with blue glow in the dark. Both sets of scales are hand made by Shadetree Custom Composites. I really like this material, it is a "micarta" so it is very grippy when finished as well as strong and light.

next over - copper scales! I made this knife in my first batch ever and have had it on the shop wall ever since. I ordered the copper for it about a year ago and I just had to get to it! It is 5160 steel with a tapered tang and the scales have a long ways to go, they will be hand filed and patina'd (on the low spots) as well as high polished... then I'm putting Renaissance Wax on it to keep it that way... it is going to be cool.

next - Rigging Knife in 154cm steel! This one is big and super light for such a heavy duty knife. It has a tapered tang and is getting black paper micarta scales. The black paper micarta is the lightest scale material I know of and it finishes to a cool satin black, I am always excited to use some. This one will be for sale.

bottom center - this one is going to a Bladeforums member! 5160 steel, Satin/forge finish, blue black G10 and Titanium hardware! It is a skinner profile and I have to make more!

bottom right - teak for a rigging knife! I am hand sanding it all to 2000 grit, this material was picked out by a customer and it is freaking cool!

Those are the Legal EDC's on the right, I still need to grind and heat treat them... lots of work but they are next. I also have a few that need sheaths, some of them will be available soon as well! W2 Fighter with hamon, cream rayskin and a dinosaur bone menuki that I cut! I also have a couple of double plungeless ground drop points ready for sheaths, look out!

Everything in this photo is covered in dust, they look way better cleaned up!
Jadebath-wippics010.jpg

Looking good man! That copper scaled one is neat looking, I would stop your videos when I could see it hanging above your bench just to look coser at it. Put a scalloped edge and it will be one hell of a bread knife! Jens Anso did a bronze handled folder with a file shaped surface that came out way cool, don't know how you plan to do this one, but its gonna be purdy! I just love the look of copper on a knife.

That teak is just awesome! The black paper micarta is gonna be sweet to, no doubt! I bet it doesn't last long once is got a price tag on it.

-Xander

Awesome work Daniel!! I am hoping the choppers are next.................Sorry I suck at waiting on something that is going to be the best woods knife ever!!!!!

Looking good man! That copper scaled one is neat looking, I would stop your videos when I could see it hanging above your bench just to look coser at it. Put a scalloped edge and it will be one hell of a bread knife! Jens Anso did a bronze handled folder with a file shaped surface that came out way cool, don't know how you plan to do this one, but its gonna be purdy! I just love the look of copper on a knife.

That teak is just awesome! The black paper micarta is gonna be sweet to, no doubt! I bet it doesn't last long once is got a price tag on it.

-Xander

Excellent!

I am probably going to do a filed pattern that resembles Impala horn (the animal, not the car! :p ) I want it to look dark and menacing! I hope it comes out as planned. I'm not a huge H.R. Geiger fan but his work is a bit of an inspiration for this one.

I thought copper would be easy to work with but it has been hands down the toughest stuff to grind or drill ever! I had no idea...

Jens Anso does some awesome work, I'll look for that knife. When I first started knifemaking I had a bunch of great ideas and he has already done them all! :D

Yeah that teak is nice stuff! I have been wanting to use more black paper micarta as well.

Awesome work Daniel!! I am hoping the choppers are next.................Sorry I suck at waiting on something that is going to be the best woods knife ever!!!!!

I'm going to finish these and the Legal EDC's then it's Chopper Thirty!!! I can't wait!!!

I'm entering the Wilderness & Survival Skills Extreme knife build off here at Bladeforums so I have all kinds of new chopper ideas planned. I'm still waiting on the criteria to decide on a final design and steel choice.

(I really hope to do the mini kith too!)

EXTREME build off! http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...derness-amp-Survival-Skills-Extreme-Build-Off

I mite have to call first dibs on your extreme build off knife!!! I think you should do a thick clip point bowie design with a solid penetration tip. I know what ever you come up with will be bad ass.Also will open a lot of eyes to the extreme beauty and performance of your blades!!!!

Nah, I'm thinkin 32" two fisted handle single edge broad sword type thing! Done in S7 of course. I don't know if it fits the rules (haven't looked) but I think it will chop like a GB forest axe with a 30" edge!

-Xander

OOOOH, I saw mine!!!

And it is glued up! I use West System G-Flex epoxy for glue-up, it is a shock resistant epoxy and is tough as can be.

I glued these up yesterday evening, they will be fully bonded tomorrow morning and then it is time to flare the tube hardware!

002-12.jpg

The color is pretty washed out in this photo...

Today's Itinerary

Coffee
Eat
Grind
Eat
Grind
Coffee
Grind
Eat
Beer
Sleep

Thank you very much... :D

Ahhh the good life:D

Any chance on getting a how to on grinding them legal edc's? That tip is awesome!

:D I'll try to get some good footage! The tip is done on a slack belt, even though I have done a bunch that way they are always a challenge to get right. Thanks!

WHAT? You slave driver! You left out change diapers and give Jade a nap :D ahhh what is sleep =_-

Back