Working Wanders & Signs of Spring

Mistwalker

Gold Member
A few shots from working wanders over the last few days.

"We don't want any adventures here today thank you, you miht try over the hill or across the water..."
20190214_144322.jpg

20190214_142523.jpg
]

20190214_162915.jpg

20190213_162604.jpg

20190214_153644.jpg

20190214_145546.jpg

20190214_164305.jpg

20190214_164352.jpg

Warming up around 11pm after a very long, cold, and wet wander in a city with a loaded pack.
DSC_0666.jpg

20190215_220737.jpg

Can’t believe cold blooded animals are out already in your area. We are far from that here in IL. Cool shots!

Can’t believe cold blooded animals are out already in your area. We are far from that here in IL. Cool shots!
I'm just a couple hours south of Brian, and we haven't had much of a winter. At the beginning of December, we had highs in the 70's. So far in 2019, we've seen fewer than 10 days with lows below freezing, and we've already seen a high of 80 degrees F. All winter, we've not had a single day that remained below freezing all day long. I haven't seen a single snowflake here this season. I was on a hike the last weekend in January and ran across daffodils blooming. I'm dreading the summer's heat and humidity already.

Thanks Jason :) The Garter snake was pretty small, and definitely not the reason I am wearing knee high snake boots on my woods wanders at the moment but certainly relative :)
20190214_154045.jpg

Your posts are always such a pleasure—thanks Brian. —Anthony

Thank you Anthony!! I'm very glad you enjoy them!!

I'm just a couple hours south of Brian, and we haven't had much of a winter. At the beginning of December, we had highs in the 70's. So far in 2019, we've seen fewer than 10 days with lows below freezing, and we've already seen a high of 80 degrees F. All winter, we've not had a single day that remained below freezing all day long. I haven't seen a single snowflake here this season. I was on a hike the last weekend in January and ran across daffodils blooming. I'm dreading the summer's heat and humidity already.

Here on the mountain we have had a few days where it stayed below freezing for a few days in a row, and we have had a little snow, but not much and so far certainly a mild and VERY WET winter.

Cheers
Brian

It's been the opposite here with more days staying below average temperature. Along with the cold temps we've had above average snow amounts. I like hiking in the snow but I'm itching for some spring camping!

Yep. The forecast is for 8”-10” this week. :(

Yeah, I've been out studying things. The river is flowing hard and at flood stage right now, with a forecast of more rain this week. I have been up at the dam and along some of the creeks right below it. TVA doesn't exactly advertise the weakness all of the work is being done to repair, and I am wishing it was already done... Andy says life is too short to carry an ugly knife, but with where I'm working right now along with the Babyboot around my neck for civilized uses, I also have a Navy MK-3 and a letherman wave on my side just in case things go horribly wrong...
DSC_0954.jpg

20190217_144810.jpg

Thought it looked familiar. We locked through there last year bringing our boat down to Guntersville, AL.

Looks like Chickamauga Dam

Yes, it is Chickamauga Dam. Luckily the water above the dam is not at flood stage, at least as of yet. It's not near as low as usual winter levels, but definitely below usual summer levels, and that is encouraging.

Thanks :) It's being great to finally have my oldest in a better place in life after getting rid of her abusive ex, and to be able to work while not having to babysit a four-year-old at the same time now. Plus I finally have Alayna doing a bit better with her grades again now as well, so I have finally been able to get out in the field and do more work lately. That was a reeeeeeally loooooooong nine months of added responsibility that came with a LOT of stress. I hope there are no more instances like that for a while. That one almost finished me... and did completely wipe me out financially.

definitely a Warg in the area

These were only a little over 3 inches long, but I find some a bit larger out in the deeper places now and then, closer to 4 inches and maybe a little over. Those interest me most, well and the larger cat tracks I find. Some decent sized bobcats around still, here and there. But I only ever see them at night when I am driving.

Back