Workshop scissors?

Any suggestions on stronger scissors for the workshop? I have a pair of titanium kitchen shears in my maker space, but the place where I got it from doesn't stock it any more. And now I want one for the garage.

Hard to imagine anything stronger than the amazing Baronyx utility shears.
Iā€™ve got two pair of these shears, one for the shop one pair in the kitchen.šŸ˜‰. The pair in the shop get used for cutting laminate to garden trimming, just remember to wipe them down as they are carbon steel. The pair in the kitchen are a little big for the junk drawer but handy for package duty, a useful investment that will surely outlast me.

Last edited:
I've been using Cutco Shears for the last 10 years, best HD scissors I've ever owned. They also come apart for easy cleaning, and have a lifetime free resharpening service (although mine are still very sharp.) Handles are also large and comfortable. And of course, Made in USA.

I just used them the other day to make cutoff jeans; sliced through both legs of the jeans (4x layers of denim) at once, with a nice clean cut. Previous projects include snipping through Kevlar cordage, trimming kydex, and other pretty heavy cutting.

They're expensive at $117, but for me absolutely worth it.

51C-iRMdwrL._AC_SL1157_.jpg

Some hobby craft/fabric shops carry all metal scissors. If you keep an eye out for their sales you can get them 25% off or higher. That is how I bought my last 2 sets.

+2 for Cutco. Havenā€™t used them too much yet as I have only had them a month. Very well made though.

I picked up a set of MAC 8.5" Kitchen Shears for around $50 or $60 and have been very, very pleased with them. Made in the USA (Japanese company) from drop forged stainless steel. They come apart easily for cleaning, are comfortable, and sharp as all heck. So far they've done everything we've asked of them.

I have a pair of fabric scissors but honestly I use a pair of vinyl siding snips to cut just about everything. They work great and are sharp as hell.

I use a pair of Maruyoshi stainless kitchen shears I got for $40 (not allowed to link to vendor site). Sharp, strong, won't rust, and can be easily disassembled and sharpened.
maruyoshi-stainless-kitchen-shears-11.png

I also use a pair of Diamond 7" snips I got forever ago. I've kept mine clean and sharp and they'll cut just about anything.
I dont know how to post my own pics, so here's what they look like (posted for sale on an "auction" site that is not allowed to link) NOT for sale by me BTW...
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Klein electrician shears are pretty good.

Also for general EDC in public, it's hard to beat Fiskars folding travel scissors. They perform extremely well and they look super non-threatening.

A stronger scissor for the workshop? I have several. (And now y'all have got me interested in couple more) I keep a couple of pair of the first aid bandage scissor. They cut surprising well for stamped sheet metal. They can take a beating. And for a couple of bucks they are sacrificial when you get into chemicals and nasty sticky stuff. I keep a couple of the Klein electricians scissor. (1 in the truck, 1 in the shop) Built to cut heavy wire. Short blades. Need a little hand strength but they are tough little bulldogs. Probably need a pair of the shiny shears with the high class steel. They look good. They feel good. And you can justify the money because eventually you're going to need to cut out a paper pattern. If you want a long blade, get an old pair of carpet shears. Or tailors, maybe sailmakers shears. Make sure it still has the ride. Give it an edge and a tune up. You'll have a long blade. Don't forget the snips. If you're going to do any sheetmetal you'll need straight, left, and right. And they're handy for a lot of other nasty work too.

There you go, 8-9 pair of blades and you'll have a well equipped shop.

I need to check out that folding Fiskars

Last edited:
Back