World's Toughest Folding Knives

Just for the fun of it and because many of you are experts. I am wondering what some of the best and toughest folding knives up to date are?

A friction folder would essentially come down to how strong the pivot was made and how secure the grip on the tang is.

With a mechanical aid (pin or otherwise) I would like to think it would be rather sturdy. Though to get one with a strong enough pivot to truly hold up to abusive tasks, one may need to look custom.
-----
Good luck in your search.
What tasks do you have in mind?

The magnitude of a locks surface multiplied by the thickness of the blade stock divided by the mathematical constant e will represent the strength of a knife in cubic gallons[SUP]2[/SUP]

I know a lot of haters will jump on this but, as far as locking mechanism and pure integrity, I believe Cold Steel folders are hard to beat.

20160305_174530_zpslrfajkfn.jpg

Great and well known examples are the Recon 1 and AK47 folders, featuring the TriAd lock.

20160314_083656_zpsagmibnpt.jpg

Older bac locks designed by the company were very reliable as well

20160225_170546_zpshbr184ox.jpg

Their grinds and blade profiles/bevels are very well designed, though, and they are excellent slicers while retaining considerable strength and integrity.

20160212_160625_zpsxaemgx5i.jpg

The brand's XL folders are as big and tough as folding knives can get with modern technology, some can even be used as folding machetes to process wood without developing blade play or any breakage.

20160220_173957_zps4seuqnpg.jpg

Their marketing may be gimmicky and excessive, but their products deliver and are quality blades for hard use tasks.

20160220_174549_zpskkbyekn4.jpg

Just my two cents

A folder is only as good as its locking mechanism... tri ad lock on cs and demkos are solid, axis lock on benchmades are just as good as well. The blade will likely brrak off before these locks fail. Framelocks are strong but tend to give/slip/fail if you go cheap.

Last edited:
The magnitude of a locks surface multiplied by the thickness of the blade stock divided by the mathematical constant e will represent the strength of a knife in cubic gallons[SUP]2[/SUP]
Also you need to add .237 of the stop pin diameter to that equation and accont for torque. Subtracting the vectoring angle of the three points of contact should tell you the strength in metric tons or cubic inches also.

The zt 0550 is pretty tuff. Theres a video of a Russian (?) Dude beating the snot out of one for like 20 minutes. Held up better than the other knives in his similar vids. Convinced me to get one before they sold out from dealers when discontinued. Not only tuff but buttery smooth. I can spydie flick it open with the blade stops and the blade falls with a slight shake when unlocked. Love that knife!

Just for the fun of it and because many of you are experts. I am wondering what some of the best and toughest folding knives up to date are?

Are you concerned with:
A) Durability under hard cutting or
B) Reliability of the lock under hard closing forces?

I am wondering what some of the best and toughest folding knives up to date are?

The way I see it, "best" and "toughest" don't have anything to do with one another, especially in the context of folding knives.

Back