World's Toughest Folding Knives

IMHO all folding knives are tough if you use them as they were designed sure there are lemons every now and again but a quality folder will last awhile .

As far as just locks go I think the triad lock is probably the toughest out there .

2nd would be the axis lock .

As far as steels go 3v, m4 but IMHO you can't get the full potential of any steel on a folding knife just because of size.

The toughest folder would be one which has a full tang.
Basically a "fixed" knife with scales which can fold from covering the blade to covering the full tang.
I wonder if that kind of folder would be legal to be concealed carry in California.

I am concerned about toughness in a folder, but my viewpoint is a little different as to what this means.

To me the folder must have a constant spring loaded pressure to stay closed, under any kind of impact or influence: No ball detent failure point beyond which the thing is free to swing open, even if just for one inch of tip travel: That limits me to lockbacks, or pouch knives... Better yet, both lockback and pouch!

Another point of toughness is not just huge overall strength, which is a given, but the extent to which my hand can apply huge efforts on the blade. Also overall weight can contribute to this if the knife is used as a chopper, if the handle has a "beaked" end that can be used to swing its full length. Most folders today, even large ones, tend to have a rectangular handle section that is fairly narrow or at least angular, no large beaked handle end, and no real built-in guard. For that reason I prefer the Al Mar SERE 3003, even though it is very heavy and has a poor blade to handle ratio (4.25" to 5 7/8").

Many large folders also lack handle depth compared to the Al Mar. The worst thing about the SERE 3003 is the poor edge geometry, but that can be fixed by at least zeroing the edge, or even having a hollow grind added in.

The extremely heavy weight of 11 ounces helps with chopping, but the main advantage is to have a knife that behaves like a fixed blade and yet can be worn horizontally on the belt, not getting in the way of anything else. The oversized handle allows it to do harder cutting more often, with less pain from the repetitive effort on the hand.

$_57.JPG

Gaston

The zt 0550 is pretty tuff. Theres a video of a Russian (?) Dude beating the snot out of one for like 20 minutes. Held up better than the other knives in his similar vids. Convinced me to get one before they sold out from dealers when discontinued. Not only tuff but buttery smooth. I can spydie flick it open with the blade stops and the blade falls with a slight shake when unlocked. Love that knife!

That dude really tests a knife. And that ZT was a top contender for sure.

I think a good question to start with is; are you going to be whacking the spine? Or are you going to be using this knife to cut things?

The Spyderco TUFF is a tough folder; I've used mine for a fair bit of heavy chopping & prying and the only damage has been a loose pivot LOL. Tighten and you're good to go.

24917514345_d52c863e63_z.jpg

Yeah, by the nature off the beast, with the fewest moving parts and design, the balisong has the title. A well made bali will outlast any other folding knife under harsh conditions. It's sort of in a class by itself.

By this logic, a friction folder should be twice as strong since it has one pivot vs two on the bali.

I don't know what toughness refers to here. And do we go with classes, like weight class and materials class and size class? Because I've beat the heck out of my Opinels and they have done just fine, but I wouldn't want to run one over with the car. The Buck 110 could withstand being run over by a car, and I've seen them baton wood, pry open boxes, and go through the joints of fresh game, so they're pretty tough, but I wouldn't want to hang from a cliff relying on the lock. For abuse and beatings, the Cold Steel folders seem to have the title of toughest, but they aren't the sharpest, smoothest, or most durable (at least not proven to be, so far--there are Buck 110s and SAKs that have lasted through much use for many decades and are still fine looking specimens and we just don't know whether CS knives will look that good after the same; my guess is they won't).

Zieg

I would have to say a custom Andrew Demko would rank pretty high 😊👍
Kevin

I would rather go for durable, but usually those are tough as well.
Benchmade
Spyderco
Cold steel

Non Production
Ferrum Forge
Jake Hoback knives

Don't know if they are best, as they are both slow to deploy, but lockup is tough enough for batoning if that is your thing.
Cold Steel Pocket Bushman or BHK TreeFrog

Don't know if they are best, as they are both slow to deploy, but lockup is tough enough for batoning if that is your thing.
Cold Steel Pocket Bushman or BHK TreeFrog

Tree Frog, I have one of those. :)
Damn tough knife, and the tip is so stout it's almost stupid.

^yep, hands down the toughest folder design.

Have you looked at the Tree Frog?
Two steel pins go through the scales AND the blade.
The only way it will fail is for the handle material to break apart.

Make the handle material steel instead of micarta, and it would be nigh on indestructible.

The balisong has it beat for speed though...and getting you tossed in prison for a bunch of years in many parts of the world. :D

Have you looked at the Tree Frog?
Two steel pins go through the scales AND the blade.
The only way it will fail is for the handle material to break apart.

Make the handle material steel instead of micarta, and it would be nigh on indestructible.

The balisong has it beat for speed though...and getting you tossed in prison for a bunch of years in many parts of the world. :D

nope, i need to do just that. time to do some research and learning, so thanks for the heads up.

........ but the balisong once open and latched (if it has one) and gripped can only fail from one of the pivots or handle material or blade. not from some lock design. simple and brilliant and still valid today and better than most designs.

not here friend. i live in a free('er) state on knives, guns and weapons than most folks, and certainly far more than canada. i can carry a balisong concealed with my cwp or openly in a sheath legally and use it without being taken down by the swat team. have one in my back pocket right now, used it a half dozen times today during work and even in the parking lot with a cop sitting near by watching while he was trying to catch speeders. i get your point though and it's a good one.

not here friend. i live in a free('er) state on knives, guns and weapons than most folks, and certainly far more than canada. i can carry a balisong concealed with my cwp or openly in a sheath legally and use it without being taken down by the swat team. have one in my back pocket right now, used it a half dozen times today during work and even in the parking lot with a cop sitting near by watching while he was trying to catch speeders. i get your point though and it's a good one.

Would be cool to have balisongs here.
Of course, yesterday I had three knives on me while taking a picture of a knife propped up on the Ontario Superior Court of Justice sign right across from the police headquarters downtown, and no one seemed to care. :D
Free enough for me for now. :)

The heat is worse than freedom levels these last few days...yuck.
And no knife seems to be helping that, no matter how tough. :(

Back