Off Topic Worst knife related injury. How much did it hurt? How bad was it?

I bring this strange topic up because recently (yesterday from the time this was posted) I got a very bad cut to my index finger.
I was sharpening one of my knives and I wasn't being very careful... at all... and ended up cutting my index finger pretty deep.
I'm curious to hear about what knife related injuries some of you guys have and how it happened. Don't be too graphic as I imagine some people are very squeamish to the thought/sight of blood or injury.

Does a sharp street sign count? I had a bike accident that had the sign cut through my pinky down to the bone.

Back I need the 90’s, visiting a knife store in Seattle, I was checking out a CRK Sebenza for the first time. Never played with a frame lock before. As I was showing my 2 kids how it unlocks, I sliced my finger. It bled a bit but more seriously injured was my pride... having collected knives since 1975.

I just got (about a month ago) a cold steel recon scout after my father finally gave me his trail master for hog hunting after 17 years of admiring that knife. I liked it so much I got the RS. I took it out of the sheath and it was literally caked up with grease. I wiped the knife off and put it on my dresser. Then I started getting it out of the sheath. When I went to pick up the knife I still had some geese on my fingers and dropped it. I tried to catch it. Needless to say my timing was off. I picked the knife up and inspected the blade and tip. The I told my girlfriend I had cut myself. She thought I was playing because I had calmly inspected the knife after it’s fall. I then showed her my tendon above my thumb. (Incredibly white in real life) . 5 stitched and few hours later I was playing with it again. This time carefully.

I put the tip of a Buck M9 bayonet halfway through my right hand. Five years, and about a dozen stitches later, and I can still feel the tendons/ligaments moving around in my hand when I open and close my fingers to this day.

free hand sharpening a BM707 and dropped it into my lap. didn't feel a thing until I saw the hole in my pants and a little blood.
had about 1" long gash/puncture wound in my inner thigh. it was deep enough to see the globules of fat :D
I used super glue to close it up and it healed up fine.

I've have many incidents with knives that led to stitches, but none really hurt because the blades were so sharp I didn't notice until I saw the blood. The one that did hurt was when I cut off the tip of my thumb. I had a new custom Demko AD 15 and I was playing around with the Scorpion Lock, with which I wasn't yet familiar, and somehow I closed it on the tip of my thumb. I saw something fly to the ground and thought it was a screw out of the knife. Nope. That one hurt a lot and took a good while to heal. I am more careful now..

stitches on my hand. Not paying attention and went through the skin like butter ;-)

Trimming an abbarent growing vine in my yard and accidentally sliced into my left index finger. Severed the nerve, required stitches and now I can't feel anything with that finger. Upshot is now I have a built-in coffee stirrer.

I used to carry an old Gerber EZ-Out (circa early 1990's, before I discovered Spyderco and Benchmade). After using it to prep my dinner on the third night of a week-long backpacking trip, I was trying to wipe my blade clean while at the same time having a conversation with another hiker. I cut my thumb clean to the bone. Didn't really hurt that much for some reason. But lesson was learned - PAY ATTENTION when you're cleaning wiping your blade! LOL.

I was being a dumbass by trimming a tree with a BK9 on a ladder. The limbs were too thick for my little pruner on a stick, so I went up to chop them down. It had rained heavily the night before, so the ground was really soggy. I pulled down on a limb to put some tension on it and get a better chop, leaned back a bit, and took a swing. The extra force on the foot of the ladder squished it in and put me off balance, with the end result being a small piece of my glove getting cut off with a small piece of my thumb inside it--just skin and meat, fortunately. It's a damn sharp knife, so I had time to run and find a towel to wrap around my hand before the bleeding and pain started.

I imagine some people are very squeamish to the thought/sight of blood or injury
. . . ahhhh good for 'em toughen 'em up some.
that's easy to say anyway . . . I'm jesting.
Worst knife related injury. How much did it hurt? How bad was it?
Here's the cliff notes :
Went all out for my 2016 Christmas present to my self (a knife natch).
Bought Benchmade 710 with M390 steel (ooohhhhlaaalaaa; now we're talkin')
Used knife a bunch. Handle and blade all I could hope for; really good. No pain. No blood.
Opening and closing mixed: Opens really fast and surprisingly quiet. Perfect.
Closing sucks; inconstant drop, changes over time with temp, can't count on it. Much pain. No blood.
It is so weird I don't carry it much, Much pain. No blood.

PS : oh and it did get snagged on my hankie once and opened in my back pocket. No pain. Much blood. (thanks to my Edge Pro Apex ;))
IMG_4760.JPG
IMG_4171_2.jpg

My worst cut was from a Vic Trekker.
I was cutting thick zip ties off a coil of wire rope and I carelessly hit my knuckle with the blade.
I was wearing leather work gloves and it still went to the bone.

It did not hurt at all though.
I immediately wrapped my hand with a bandanna and went to my vehicle to clean and tape it up.

Still have a little half moon scar but it healed up quickly as it was a pretty clean cut.

I just got (about a month ago) a cold steel recon scout after my father finally gave me his trail master for hog hunting after 17 years of admiring that knife. I liked it so much I got the RS. I took it out of the sheath and it was literally caked up with grease. I wiped the knife off and put it on my dresser. Then I started getting it out of the sheath. When I went to pick up the knife I still had some geese on my fingers and dropped it. I tried to catch it. Needless to say my timing was off. I picked the knife up and inspected the blade and tip. The I told my girlfriend I had cut myself. She thought I was playing because I had calmly inspected the knife after it’s fall. I then showed her my tendon above my thumb. (Incredibly white in real life) . 5 stitched and few hours later I was playing with it again. This time carefully.
Did a similar thing at Sportsman Warehouse looking at a Puma SGB Elk Hunter fixed blade and fiddling with it changing hands. Wasn't paying attention and started to drop it in the store and I tried to catch it mid-air.... mistake.... cut the crap out of my hand. Blood all over the place. The store wasn't too pleased. But accidents happen. Bought that knife since I blooded it. Haven't used it since if you want to call that a use..... It's actually a fairly nice knife with the main limitation/criticism is that it is 440A.

I was working a temp job at a wood siding mill just out of high school. My job was to cut the straps off of large pallets of siding and then feed them through a large machine that looked like a planer, but actually applied oil based paint to both sides. I had a double feed that I had to fix, which caused me to get oil based paint on my gloves (slippery!), and when I went to cut the strap of the next pallet with my hook knife, it slipped out of my hand and somehow cut the left side of my thumb down to the bone. One hour, Three stitches, and some gauze later and I was back at work doing my job. The bossman thought it was cool I came back and offered me a permanent position on the spot. Ended up being a pretty solid job right out of high school. Good pay, amazing people. That's still the only time I've ever cut myself to the extent that required medical attention. :)

Last edited:
When I was very young, I sliced into one of the knuckles on my left hand. Why? Because I was being stupid by trying to use a slip joint to cut a golf ball in half. The first night of my father's two-week vacation included a trip to the ER to get sutured. Only four stitches though.

Let's see, what else? Oh, not much later, I cut the tip off the same finger with my new Buck 112. I miss that knife.

Alright I’ll swing again here. So when I was around 11-12 I go shard a brand new Sony no skipbwalkman!! I was pumped because this was top of the line and new tech at the time. My father has a rediculous knife collection. At the time it consisted of mostly cold steel xl folders. Pre triad lock. I was under no circumstances to use them, but couldn’t wait to cut it open. So I went for it. Held the knoce upside down, blade facing me. After cutting in I applied some force and ist slipped. I stabbed into my lef pretty damn bad. I walked to the restroom and immediatly butterfly bandaged it shut and kept it a secret for many years. When I got all cleaned up I went back to try to get the Walkman. Then I realized it was pre perforated. All that was needed was a pull with your hand. Package opened right up.

I was trying to jimmy a lock with the spine of my Protech TR3, I had permission to go into the room but nobody had a key at the time.

I was pushing up on the knife and I accidentally pressed the button lock. The blade snapped shut on my index finger and my finger went numb.

I went and got 3 stitches, cost me almost $2,000 even with insurance. I've gained most of the feeling back but there's still an area about the size of a dime where the cut was that is still numb.

I rarely notice the numbness. Mainly it just annoys me when I'm loading rounds into a magazine.

Back