Off Topic Worst knife related injury. How much did it hurt? How bad was it?

When I was young and dumb, wanted to see how sharp my brothers SAK was and ran my right thumb down the blade. Sliced it open pretty deep.

Can't tell which was worse of these two. Both work related incidents.

Splitting a stone cold smoked brisket, had to take my hand off the spine to hold the brisket against the cutting board, knife rocked out and bounced off the butt straight into my nose. I stood up (had been stooped over for leverage) and let go. Knife didn't fall. A swift jerk, a lit of blood and some super glue, and I have an interesting scar with a stupid story.

Fast forward a year and a half, clearing out some pots from the dishwasher, and the magnetic strips we used for the work knives is right next to the exit for the dishwasher. Stock pot bumped the butt of a 8", I went to go pull my hand out of the way and it bounced off the tip and I caught the heel of it right in between the joint in my thumb. Took 10 stitches and a few weeks to heal. Ha e nerve damage and a kinked ligament, affects the range of motion with that thumb. Can hardly see the scar though, so I have that going for me.

Well as self inflicted knife wounds only a minor nick here and there never needed anything more than a banadaid ...

now if you count other people with knives 22 stitches total in three cuts ... two on my left forearm ... one on my left thigh .. no damage other than flesh (luckily ... he had no notion of what a sharp knife was) ... looked like alot more blood then it actually was as usual and I can't say they didn't burn like fire but I was lucky ...

and one other incident a stab wound barely pentetrated through a vest just a couple stitches ... bled some but very minor.

AITOR Cuchillo De Monte. Cut my left index finger at the knuckle down to the bone when I was in 5th grade. Still have the scar from the cut and stitches as a reminder. Fun part of that day was watching my Mom's reaction as my brother and I were playing with it looking at the knuckle as I moved my finger back and forth. She turned white and about hit the deck. Recenty was modifying a Leatherman Super Tool 300 and managed to cut the same damn finger to the bone again just above the finger nail and just splinted it and used super glue. Worked, but have a numb area around that one now.

Well as self inflicted knife wounds only a minor nick here and there never needed anything more than a banadaid ...

now if you count other people with knives 22 stitches total in three cuts ... two on my left forearm ... one on my left thigh .. no damage other than flesh (luckily ... he had no notion of what a sharp knife was) ... looked like alot more blood then it actually was as usual and I can't say they didn't burn like fire but I was lucky ...

and one other incident a stab wound barely pentetrated through a vest just a couple stitches ... bled some but very minor.

Holy shit. You sound like my Dad (retired Chief Master Sergeant for the Air Force EOD and is now an arson/homicide detective for a large Sheriff department)... The stories he's told.

You said "vest" so I'm guessing LEO?

Last edited:
I was in college and bought a blank dagger blade from a nearby knife shop I used as a letter opener/throwing knife. One night, bored while waiting around for a date, I started to throw the blade into a cheap wooden stool in my living room. After an ambitious throw, the blade got stuck. I decided to wrench downward on the tang with my right hand while bracing the stool with my left hand. After one hard tug I got the blade free but dragged the tip of the dagger across the top of my left hand - right where the base of my thumb meets the palm. I distinctly recall feeling the tip bounce off my thumb bone, then looking down to see a neat cross section of skin, ligament and bone. I marveled at how little it hurt until blood literally squirted at a 45 degree angle onto the wall five feet in front of me. I sprinted to the kitchen to find a towel to start applying pressure and, finding none, ran across the house to the bathroom where I frantically grabbed any gauze/cotton patches I could find. It would not stop gushing.

I finally managed to twist a hand towel around my hand tight enough to stem the bleeding (I could tell the bleeding started to slow when the red patch on the towel stopped growing). Feeling light-headed, I sat down in the living room and kept pressure on my hand for a few minutes. Not long after that, my roommate returned with his girlfriend who shrieked when he turned on the hall light and noticed blood splattered on the wall, trailing into the kitchen, then back towards the bathroom/bedrooms. They soon noticed me on the couch, asked who had been murdered in our house, and were incredulous when I said I had "merely nicked myself." I quickly called my girlfriend to cancel our plans - feigning a sudden bout of food poisoning, as I knew she would force me to go to an emergency clinic for stitches. She nearly throttled me the next day when she saw my homemade bandage made from cotton rounds and duct tape.

Luckily the blade missed the ligaments and the wound sealed up nicely. It was the worst injury I've inflicted on myself so far. I probably should have gone to a doctor for that one...

no LEO but private security ... both incidents happened after I'd taken a position with a larger private security contractor ...

Holy shit. You sound like my Dad (retired Chief Master Sergeant for the Air Force EOD and is now a Arson/Homicide detective for a large Sheriff Department)... The stories he's told.

You said "vest" so I'm guessing LEO?

I have heard crazy situations some in LEO in a large department goes through ... have several friends in LEO ... much respect to you father for his service and being LEO.

Knife related?

In November 2013 I got jumped by 2 guys walking my bike home (flat tire) and got stabbed in the gut. Just below the ribs, upwards angle, about 3" deep (enough to scratch the liver), and rather close to the heart.

1463585_508034979291794_1291567328_n_edited.jpg

I was back at work a week later.

1459252_512719725489986_1063805745_n_edited.jpg

I have a 3mm diameter disk on my right middle finger tip where I closed a Swiss Army Knife blade (just sharpened). Never felt the cut but it did start to get warm. Sliced it down to expose muscle. Thirty years later there is still no fingerprint there.

Recently I sliced 2/3rds of my left index fingernail off chopping kale with a KAI budget Chef Knife, the stamped steel type. It was sharp enough I did not feel that one either. Took two stitches.

Had a brand new Spyderco lacerate across the top of a finger deep but it was sharp enough it did not bleed much, the cut was smooth enough to keep sealed when bandaged. I can barely see the scar on that one.

This is from about 6 weeks ago. I got a Benchmade 51 and decided to teach myself how to flip. Tried to twirl it around my finger and before I know what happened the blade has sliced open my palm and has lodged itself an inch and a half deep in my wrist. Selling that knife will be a pre wedding present to my fiance.

imagejpeg_0_04.jpg
imagejpeg_0_03.jpg

I haven't had many "bad" knife injuries. Just a cut here and there.

I did close a brand new Silky Saw on my fingers a few months ago and it took 45 minutes to get my fingers to stop bleeding. I almost went to the ER.

I nearly cut a slice off my left index finger with my Emerson, was hanging by a thin flap of skin and bleeding profusely. Fortunately it healed pretty well and while I do have a scar it's more or less like it was before.

The wonderful words you never want to hear from a doctor..."ok we are going to explore now"...

As far as worst injuries I've ever heard of, I remember a post a few years ago I think on here about a guy who had his kershaw leek tip down fire in his pocket. He didn't feel the pain first, he felt a warm wetness running down his leg...it was blood from his scrotum...:( The fine tip had gone through his pocket and sliced his man bag clean open...:eek:

Next came the avalanche of pain as he noticed in horror his freshly severed testicle sliding down his pants leg...actually I made that last part up, but the sliced scrotum is true.

First knife, 8-years-old, carving a stick and showing off to my little sister. Well, I carved off the side of my thumb. She was impressed, but not very favorably. LOL! :) I've been collecting knives ever since . . . going on 40 years now.

4 months ago I took a big chunk of meat our of left index finger (thumb side) next to first knuckle.
About 1" long by about 3/8" wide and deep, but not all way to bone.
No stitches 'cause wasn't nothing there to stitch. It was just gone. Went to emergency room and got
some vessels cauterized. Have full use of finger. It's scarred up but still hurts if I scrape/hit it.

When I was 10-12, I had a knife fold up on me trying to pry something .young and stupid. I sliced my thumbnail completely off . Taped it up, tried to hide it from my parents. More or less worked.

I bring this strange topic up because recently (yesterday from the time this was posted) I got a very bad cut to my index finger.
I was sharpening one of my knives and I wasn't being very careful... at all... and ended up cutting my index finger pretty deep.
I'm curious to hear about what knife related injuries some of you guys have and how it happened. Don't be too graphic as I imagine some people are very squeamish to the thought/sight of blood or injury.

I've dabbled in at least 10 martial arts, 5 of which are Filipino knife arts(Escrima, Arnis, Kalis, DeQuerdas...). In 2002, I was making up moves "freestyling" and accidentally stabbed myself in the palm of my left hand. The knife went in pretty deep and pushed all of the tendons and tissue up and out on the back side of my hand, but they did not break the skin on the back of my hand. I pulled the knife out of my palm and went to the emergency room. The DR looking me over had me do a few things with my hand after they got the stitches in (what is now a 1.5 inch long scar right in the middle of my left palm) and he said, "You're lucky. You did not cut any major blood vessels or tendons. You will not be impaired or need corrective surgery."

Thi
When I was very young, I sliced into one of the knuckles on my left hand. Why? Because I was being stupid by trying to use a slip joint to cut a golf ball in half. The first night of my father's two-week vacation included a trip to the ER to get sutured. Only four stitches though.

Let's see, what else? Oh, not much later, I cut the tip off the same finger with my new Buck 112. I miss that knife.
This is my first day on Blade Forums. And Im already reading about someone cutting the tip of their finger off and missing the knife that was involved. Ok. Well this should be an interesting journey!

Thi

This is my first day on Blade Forums. And Im already reading about someone cutting the tip of their finger off and missing the knife that was involved. Ok. Well this should be an interesting journey!
I don't miss my 112 because of the memory of when I sliced my finger. I miss that knife because it was what I carried all the times I went hunting with my father. Both my father and the knife are long gone.

My real problem is why the knife is missing. It was stolen out of my car by an auto mechanic when I had some work done. I can't prove it but, I know that's what happened. I hope he sliced his thumb off with the thing. Not a very Christian attitude, I know.

It's been about 35 years, now, and I would gladly give up any other knife I ever bought to have that 112 back. The funny thing is, I have rarely carried or used the replacement.

Welcome to Blade Forums, BTW. :)

When I was in the Army, a couple of us were playing volleyball with a balloon, using a sitting sergeant's head for a net. He pulled out a stockman, opened the main blade and stabbed up at the balloon just as I made a powerful spike. Yep, the blade stood out from the back of my hand nicely. A good through and through.

Back