1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth getting this oven?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by JTknives, Sep 11, 2018.

1. JTknives

JTknives ABS Apprentice Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Could this be the perfect convection tempering oven I need? Says it was origanialy used to cure carbon fiber but says for tempering as well. Has a chamber size of 24”x24”x50” and is insulated. He wants $250 OBO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Your just playing with us … that is already in the back of your truck ( I hope).

Only thing I would take a look at is the current draw/wattage. Looking at all those contactors and SSRs it might use a lot of electricity.

Beanman13, valknut and jll346 like this.
  3. knife to a gunfight

knife to a gunfight

Oct 17, 2007
    Looks like a decent price and relatively decent shape. Why not.

4. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    That is an impressive piece of equip - you can temper a long sword in that.

5. Charles Vestal

Charles Vestal KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 22, 2004
    Make sure its not three phase, unless you have 3 phase in the shop

6. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    It is 3phase 480 but says it can be wired to 240. I have my big phase converter that should be able to handle it.

7. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Three phase is a concern, but not precisely a dealbreaker.
    Mostly you need to know overall wattage & voltage of its heating elements.
    Reconfiguring to singlephase is fairly easy but maybe not worth it if its elements voltage & wattage exceeds what can be supplied.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Ken H> likes this.
  8. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    Well I just talked to him. He is in Chicago and will be back on Sunday. I expressed my concerns and he said make an offer. I said well I might need to gut half of it. He said how about $50? I said sold I will be there next Sunday lol.

Ken H>, Beanman13 and valknut like this.
  9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Fantastic buy!

It could be used to dry wood and antler, cure resin, warm pizza slices, too.

I could see it being converted into one heck of a smoker.

Beanman13 and Ian Fifelski like this.
  10. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Great deal.
    If anything its a load of electrical parts to build something else.

11. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    The cabinet alone may scrap for more than $50.

12. knife to a gunfight

knife to a gunfight

Oct 17, 2007
    The electrical panel/components alone are worth well over asking price. Nicely done.

13. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Another nice find to make us jealous. Can I spend a few months hanging around you to learn how you come across these great deals????

14. skillgannon

skillgannon

Apr 27, 2009
    Like a time machine o_O

15. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    Looking at the photos again, it looks like it comes with four kilos of cocaine. :)

What is the shipping on that beast?

16. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    It’s about a 1.5hr drive away from me. Going to pick it up on sonday and roll it into the trailer. It stands at about 7’11” tall.

17. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    I misunderstood the reference to the seller being in Chicago. It is certainly worth the drive to get that beast.