1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 7 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways will be livestreamed @ 5pm Eastern, Sunday Feb 17!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Laconico Gemini, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Worth getting this oven?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by JTknives, Sep 11, 2018.

1. JTknives

JTknives ABS Apprentice Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Could this be the perfect convection tempering oven I need? Says it was origanialy used to cure carbon fiber but says for tempering as well. Has a chamber size of 24”x24”x50” and is insulated. He wants $250 OBO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Your just playing with us … that is already in the back of your truck ( I hope).

Only thing I would take a look at is the current draw/wattage. Looking at all those contactors and SSRs it might use a lot of electricity.

Beanman13, valknut and jll346 like this.
  3. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    Looks like a decent price and relatively decent shape. Why not.

4. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    That is an impressive piece of equip - you can temper a long sword in that.

5. Charles Vestal

Charles Vestal KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 22, 2004
    Make sure its not three phase, unless you have 3 phase in the shop

6. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    It is 3phase 480 but says it can be wired to 240. I have my big phase converter that should be able to handle it.

7. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Three phase is a concern, but not precisely a dealbreaker.
    Mostly you need to know overall wattage & voltage of its heating elements.
    Reconfiguring to singlephase is fairly easy but maybe not worth it if its elements voltage & wattage exceeds what can be supplied.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Ken H> likes this.
  8. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    Well I just talked to him. He is in Chicago and will be back on Sunday. I expressed my concerns and he said make an offer. I said well I might need to gut half of it. He said how about $50? I said sold I will be there next Sunday lol.

Ken H>, Beanman13 and valknut like this.
  9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Fantastic buy!

It could be used to dry wood and antler, cure resin, warm pizza slices, too.

I could see it being converted into one heck of a smoker.

Beanman13 and Ian Fifelski like this.
  10. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Great deal.
    If anything its a load of electrical parts to build something else.

11. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    The cabinet alone may scrap for more than $50.

12. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    The electrical panel/components alone are worth well over asking price. Nicely done.

13. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Another nice find to make us jealous. Can I spend a few months hanging around you to learn how you come across these great deals????

14. skillgannon

skillgannon

Apr 27, 2009
    Like a time machine o_O

15. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    Looking at the photos again, it looks like it comes with four kilos of cocaine. :)

What is the shipping on that beast?

16. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    It’s about a 1.5hr drive away from me. Going to pick it up on sonday and roll it into the trailer. It stands at about 7’11” tall.

17. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    I misunderstood the reference to the seller being in Chicago. It is certainly worth the drive to get that beast.