Wostenholm's 'end of days' IXL Bowie Knife...

This is my recently acquired IXL Wostenholm Bowie knife.
It was manufactured towards the end days of the Wostenholm & Son Cutlery firm, (the end days as it pertains to it still having been a stand alone company).
The Joseph Rodgers & Sons cutlery firm purchased Wostenholm during 1971, but that merger was not able to stop the new combination Joseph Rodgers/Wostenholm firm from going belly up. Both brands got shuffled around a bit, including Schrade owning and making Wostenholm branded products for a while. But, both of the original Joseph Rodgers & Wostenholm firms have been gone for quite some time.

Both brands were eventually acquired by the current owners of those once famous brand names, that being the Egginton Group in England.
They, (Egginton), still makes and offers Sheffield, England knives with these two brand names.

Here's some history I found online of Wostenholm after the WW2 period...

"After the Second World War, when part of Washington Works was destroyed by a German bomb, Wostenholm’s was poorly positioned to exploit the economic upturn in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Competition was also growing from the Far East, which would eventually drive Wostenholm’s out of business. In 1961, the firm employed about 350 workers. Between 1955 and 1968, the firm made several acquisitions – such as Christopher Johnson and Champion – to strengthen the company, especially in the scissors market. However, in 1971 Wostenholm itself was bought by Joseph Rodgers and the new company (Rodgers-Wostenholm) moved to Guernsey Road, Heeley. In 1975 this joint firm was bought by Richards, which in turn was bought in 1977 by Imperial Knife, an American firm based in New York. The Imperial connection linked Wostenholm with a famous name in US cutlery – George Schrade – which led to the production of Sheffield-made knives marked ‘I*XL Schrade Wostenholm’. However, the business lost money for its American owners and by 1983 the Richards-Rodgers-Wostenholm group was bankrupt. The I*XL mark was briefly owned by Meteor Industries, and then acquired by Egginton. Washington Works had been demolished in 1978."

This recently acquired specimen has an almost 10" carbon steel blade, (I do not know the grade of steel).
The guard and shield are nickel silver.
The handle scales are Buffalo Horn, (brass lined).
It has a true full tang, and the tang is tapered, (a neat classy touch).

It's a 50+ year old knife that was obviously kept/stored properly. It's condition is like it just came out of a time capsule.
My guess is that these knives were pulled from Wostenholm's remaining inventory shortly after Joseph Rodgers purchased the company, then the blades etched with the wording they have to commemorate them as being some of the last knives made by the real Wostenholm cutlery firm.

Last edited:
One of the things that drew me into wanting to purchase it, was the blades distinctive shape.
I say distinctive, not because it's a totally new blade profile, but because it's a bit unique in it having been used to produce Bowie type knives.
It's profile very much reminds me of the Ontario 'Old Hickory' kitchen Butcher knife...

For a bowie blade comparison, here's my IXL Wostenholm Bowie knife with a group of my other knives, including my Cold Steel Laredo and San Mai Trailmaster Bowies. One can see that the Wostenholm blade profile deviates quite a bit from those other two Bowies, (which have the more commonly seen Bowie blade profiles).

And here are some of my other "Bowie type" knives, with probably the Camillus/Western W49 being the only one that has any similar profile traits to my new Wostenholm IXL...

From eyewitness accounts of Jim Bowie' 'Sandbar Fight', his knife was described as looking much like a large Butcher knife, (and almost definitely without a guard).
So, while my Wostenholm IXL Bowie has a guard, the blade profile itself may actually be closer to the blade profile of the original James Bowie knife, than what is found on most commercially made Bowie knives.

Last edited:
I believe that is called a distal taper.
I believe it’s not. Distal taper pertains to the blade from handle to tip.

I did a quick online search on the subject of a tapered tang, and found the following description on 'Blade' magazine...

"Distal taper is a concept long used by knifemakers in different parts of the world. Characterized by a reduction in thickness of the blade from guard to tip and spine to edge, distal taper results in a knife that is both lightweight and exhibits excellent edge geometry. The concept is also employed on knife tangs, whereby the tang is tapered in thickness from the guard to the butt."

Based on my online searches, it seems that both "distal tapered tang" and "tapered tang" get commonly used when describing a knife tang done in this manner 👍😊👍

Last edited:
"distal tapered" would be the correct term for this tang. It's the opposite of proximal... in other words it tapers the further away it gets from the starting point.
The term can be used for the blade or the tang, depending on which part you are discussing.

"distal tapered" would be the correct term for this tang. It's the opposite of proximal... in other words it tapers the further away it gets from the starting point.
The term can be used for the blade or the tang, depending on which part you are discussing.

Thank you for your input on this subject.

Currently, I only own two distal tapered tang knives, the knife above, and my Boker Arbolito 'El Gigante, (made in Argentina).

Last edited:
Fascinating thread and wonderful knives- a joy! I wanted to add a small bit which may not be of much interest; still... Regarding this excerpt from the above article, Imperial Schrade and George Schrade at this point in history were as disparate as Ford and Chevy. George Schrade company had nothing to do with it, and was in fact, long extinct.
"The Imperial connection linked Wostenholm with a famous name in US cutlery – George Schrade."

I have never, ever heard of a tapered tang referred to as a “distal tapered tang”. “Distal taper” pretty much universally refers to the blade in knife terminology. Although it’s technically correct, I’ve never heard that used to refer to a tang.

No matter. Nice knives.

I think the tapered tangs are a pretty rare thing amongst production knives. It may be a more common thing in the custom made knife world... Dunno.

In any case, I do like the extra visual it adds to the knife... I see it as a classy touch 👍

Back