Would a Survive! Knives Bowie be cool?

i know the Survive! Knives team is busy and the fact that I hold all they do in such high regard I can't help but think a Survive! Knives Bowie would be the epitome of awesome. I know the books are pretty full with all of the starters, but I'd love to see one someday. Am I crazy? (Also if this type of post is not acceptable please feel free to delete it.)

I think it would be awesome.

The strider BR comes to mind. Look it up. A Survive! Bowie in a similar style would be sick.

No doubt that the Bowie design has become a classic over the centuries because if it's utility as a fighter as well as an all around knife. Everyone and their brother has done interpretations of the Bowie, and many of them are very good indeed. But, I don't see a fit in the GSO lineup. Clearly this is just my opinion, but an opinion that was developed by getting to know Guy's philosophy in knife making. Guy might come out with a Bowie style in the future, but I would be very interested in his design philosophy while doing so.

Some here might consider the use of the spear point Saber ground knife to be boring as it is showing up in models accross the entire size range of the GSO line, but none can argue with the utility of this design for the purposes it is designed to accomplish. I do think that over time there is room for Guy to explore additional designs. I am just not certain that a Bowie will be the first departure from the Saber ground spear point. But I could be wrong.

Not sure what you define as a bowie, but I have a mind to grind a clip point on to my old GSO-10, and on to a 5.1 2nd I have too.

No doubt that the Bowie design has become a classic over the centuries because if it's utility as a fighter as well as an all around knife. Everyone and their brother has done interpretations of the Bowie, and many of them are very good indeed. But, I don't see a fit in the GSO lineup. Clearly this is just my opinion, but an opinion that was developed by getting to know Guy's philosophy in knife making. Guy might come out with a Bowie style in the future, but I would be very interested in his design philosophy while doing so.

Some here might consider the use of the spear point Saber ground knife to be boring as it is showing up in models accross the entire size range of the GSO line, but none can argue with the utility of this design for the purposes it is designed to accomplish. I do think that over time there is room for Guy to explore additional designs. I am just not certain that a Bowie will be the first departure from the Saber ground spear point. But I could be wrong.

I get what you're saying, I guess what I was trying to say is that a Guy Seiferd version of a Bowie would be highly appealing to me. I am certainly not thumbing my nose to any of his current designs, so I hope I didn't come across that way. At the end of the day, I love knives and I'm always trying to think about what the ideal knife would be. Kind of like unicorns and rainbows only more alpha and a whole lot sharper. Ha!

Not sure what you define as a bowie, but I have a mind to grind a clip point on to my old GSO-10, and on to a 5.1 2nd I have too.

That would be interesting, but no way I'd do that to my 5 or 10. Ha!

"Completely redesigned for 2015! The SURVIVE! GSO-10, a knife that would make Jim Bowie himself proud, is one of the largest knives in the SURVIVE! line up."
Anyone ever see this in the description of the GSO 10 on the website?

I'll be honest, even though I had an image in my head I had to Google the definition of a Bowie knife. After I Googled it I scrolled through the images that came up and they all seemed to be huge clip point knives with a guard that was welded or attached on.

Graytshirt, what did you imagine?

I always imagine a clip point and some kind of guard. Which I think could be tweaked to fit the style of S7! Blade profiles. One difference I think would have to be looked at is generally bowie seem to have a swelled blade at the tip, like the height of the blade. Survive knives are all pretty much flat across the top profile i guess you'd say. I think the two could merge well though, with the length of a 7/7, it could be another option since the 7/7 is considered the more combat oriented knife in the group

Last edited:
Like this one? A formidable fighter for sure. Not sure I would use the adjective Bowie to describe it.

"Completely redesigned for 2015! The SURVIVE! GSO-10, a knife that would make Jim Bowie himself proud, is one of the largest knives in the SURVIVE! line up."
Anyone ever see this in the description of the GSO 10 on the website?

I'll be honest, even though I had an image in my head I had to Google the definition of a Bowie knife. After I Googled it I scrolled through the images that came up and they all seemed to be huge clip point knives with a guard that was welded or attached on.

Graytshirt, what did you imagine?

Obviously it would be left to Guys interpretation, but I am imagining a blade length between 7 and 9 inches with a mild guard that could be made as part of the scales or into the tang (possibly a combination of the two) with the usual Survive! Knives ergonomics and a clip point. Obviously it would have to meet Guys high standards and I'm not sure if a clip point could do that given some of the torture tests that Survive! Knives has put out in the past.

I would buy a survive Bowie for sure !
For me the ideal one would be similar to the trailmaster or arbolito el gigante but in 3v with a full tang and micarta scales !
An epic outdoors / hunting knife for sure

That's a good question. I thought I wanted a Bowie and I bought a custom Bowie'ish knife and I ended up selling it because it wasn't as useful as my 6, 7/7 or 10. I then ended up getting a Busse SFNO and was thinking about getting a NM SFNO because it seemed to me to be a modern day Bowie. But they are too big, too thick and too heavy to use for much more than chopping, digging, prying and some basic cutting. Long story short I didn't buy the NM SFNO and I am selling one of my 2 SFNOs (PM me if you want it - it has the big Busse G10 orange/black handles .24" thick, Busse Custom satin finish with a black Chubby leather sheath). I'll keep my other SFNO because it's the coolest looking knife I've ever owned but if I want a big knife in the filed I'll stick with my 7/7 or 6. That 7/7 with the swedge might be the closest thing to modern take on the original Bowie that Guy's made. Don't forget the Bowie is also a fighting knife. To be honest if you want a relatively inexpensive modern Bowie get a KA-BAR USMC or the Becker combat Bowie. I have the USMC and I still think the 7/7 or the 6 is a better field knife. As a fighter the swedge 7/7 is lighter than the Becker Bowie, tougher and has much better handles than the KA-BARs, at least out of the box. Just my (over thinking) $0.02.

Last edited:
Back