Would like an EDC stockman in 1095

I've been a member on this forum for a month or so and have enjoyed learning from the other postings, so I was hoping some of you might have a suggestion. I like a stockman pattern for an EDC and would prefer it be in 1095, but don't want to pay $100+ for something that is going to be well used and carried every day in my pocket. I like the GEC Abilene Stockman, but like i said, its the cost. I have gotten the impression from reading here, that the USA made Schrade 80T would fit my needs and can be had on an auction site for $25 or so. Am I correct in that they were made from 1095, and are there others I should consider?

BTW - just 'cause this is my first post and I'm feeling verbose after breaking the ice - if I could have just what I wanted, it would be a sowbelly with stockman pattern blades in 1095 or D2 with stag scales.

I don't know that Case is 1095, but I do really like my Case 6375 in CV.

You might also look for a NOS or Used Schrade 8OT.

Sorry, I didn't fully read. I'm slow. :eek:

I believe the Schrade 8OT is what you are looking for steel wise. The Case 6375 in CV is close and worked up nicer. Good luck.

Yes the 80T Old timer is a good choice and yes its made out of 1095. If you are new to knives, be sure you get USA made and 1095 not Schrade+ if you want carbon steel. Good knives. I am sure you know there are also other good choices such as the ones already named.

If you just watch the for sale exchange on this site you can pick up some new or like new GEC stockmans for well under what they go for new. But the Schrade 8OT you mentioned is an excellent pattern and you can find great deals on them on the web if you just keep your eyes open. I just picked up an 8OT brand new in the box on there a couple weeks ago for like $24 shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I´ve carried a Case Medium Stockman as my only knife for about nine months. It´s just great to carry and you won´t regret buying one.

For sure you can look at the secondary market for a Schrade Old Timer...

You have a lot of options in that case :)

Definitely get the Schrade for the money. I happen to carry an Abilene and love it. Got my eye on a Case 6375 though. As far as your grail goes, Case does make the sowbelly Rancher in CV and stag but it runs more than the Abilene, chestnut bone model coming out at around $50. Too many choices, accept you will buy more than one :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Case's CV more closely compares to 1085/1086 (and adding a little chrome & vanadium), with slightly less carbon than 1095.

Having said the above, CV is pretty good. Takes an extremely fine edge, and easily.

USA Schrade's biggest advantage in their 1095 was with the expert heat treat they applied, hardening it to near 60 HRC. It's a dream to sharpen up (best I've seen), and holds razor edges very well. i emphasize the heat treat, because other makers' examples of 1095 can vary all over the quality spectrum, and some really have trouble taking or holding a fine edge due to poor heat treat (at least, if not also due to purity issues). Aside from edge-holding in general, heat treat and purity affect the grain size & uniformity, which directly impacts how fine a finished edge can be. Both Schrade's and Case's blades have no issues with that, so far as I can tell. Schrade's 1095 is a few points above Case's CV in hardness, which is at maybe 55-57 (maybe 58) HRC or so.

My two favorite carbon steel stockman knives, in order, are:

Schrade USA 8OT
Case 6375 CV, in amber bone

David

Last edited:
The Moore Maker #5301 in bone and 1095 is a great stockman, and the same model in stag is a #6301. 3-7/8" closed.
They run $50 to $75 on the secondary market for ones in very good condition.

MM5301sm_zpsfdc9cd93.jpg~original

StagMooreMaker.jpg~original

I understand about not spending a ton of money. However, you don't want to use a knife all the time that you "settled for". If a second-hand 8OT is what you want, then go for it. If, on the other hand, you really want something more expensive, then you really shouldn't settle for anything less. I have done this once or twice. I have always regretted it, and then spent more to get the first one. If you get something more expensive, and don't like it (unlikely) then someone here will always be happy to take it off your hands.

IMO, while GEC and MooreMaker are fine knives, you can't beat the 1095 that other have mentioned in the USA-made Schrade. If you do decide to go that route, just make sure you know what you are buying, because the current production Schrade offerings look a lot like the pre 2004 ones. Sometimes I think they are marketed rather vaguely by sellers.

Regardless, please share pictures of whatever you get!

The big CASE Stockman is a very fine sturdy knife, not too dear, but it is big...some of the Mediums may be more practical, does depend on your taste though.

Why not take a look at Böker Germany carbon Stockman? Very nice knives indeed and deserve more attention.

The Moore Maker #5301 in bone and 1095 is a great stockman, and the same model in stag is a #6301. 3-7/8" closed.
They run $50 to $75 on the secondary market for ones in very good condition.

MM5301sm_zpsfdc9cd93.jpg~original

StagMooreMaker.jpg~original

And they look fantastic!! Who made these particular models for MM?

I will put my 2 cents in for the Schrade USA made 1095---hard to beat, and a lot of them floating around for under $40 new in the box. Just do your home work.
Harold

Back