Would this bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccsavage

Gold Member
BAFFB51B-B176-43C5-AC70-7C4F01EF67D7.jpeg 7FE4B8CA-2011-414B-9A39-C76BA0C91576.jpeg Would this bother any of you? I can live with some things on some knives even though I am OCD about things like symmetry in a knife, but for some reason this is bugging the snot out of me. Am I being over critical? I will not throw a makers name into this so please don’t ask. Just wondering if I’m crazy or not

Depends on the price of the knife. Under $50, I kind of expect stuff like that. I'd probably try to exchange it if it were a $100 knife ... but if it bugs you, it's a problem, so why not return it? There's nothing worse than a knife that annoys you every time you take it out.

View attachment 1201196 View attachment 1201197 Would this bother any of you? I can live with some things on some knives even though I am OCD about things like symmetry in a knife, but for some reason this is bugging the snot out of me. Am I being over critical? I will not throw a makers name into this so please don’t ask. Just wondering if I’m crazy or not
If it's a maker, as in hand made, and not a manufacturer, I'd want it fixed. If not I might live with it, depending on how much it cost and whether it was purchased to set aside in a collection.

- agree with Gary. If it doesn't lie flat and it's hand made and/or custom, it is a fundamental no-no in slipjoint making.

Are you aware of their normal build quality, is this unusual for them..? Have you seen others and they're fine.

UT1xUyV.jpg

This not only my favorite user, but at the same time my OCD knife from hell. :eek:

Closed, the main blade sits a tad low (sunken spring)
Open, the wharncliffe blade sits a little high (raised spring)
Otherwise the knife is perfect! :)

It drives me absolutely bananas unless I'm using the knife (which is daily ;)).

And yes, I'm aware GEC would/will fix it but I like it the way it is! :D

I'm gonna live with it and be happy about it..I realize custom knives are pricey and also like driving a new car off the lot. I never complain to makers about issues I find with their knives for fear off offending them, and although they are being paid well for a product I always feel like they are doing me a favor not the opposite.. If a makers work is in demand the consumer is at their mercy. simple supply and demand. All good here.

While I do enjoy a good pair of scissors :) that would bother me, even a $100 folder would bother me, echo what others have said and see about sending it back.

G2

If it was hand made and sent to me by the maker i would actually feel offended.
I buy old knives and often in rough shape, but if i was paying that kind of money for a new hand made high quality item and they sent me something so obviously flawed i would feel cheated at best. Seriously either they don't understand, or they do and are counting on you not to. Unless you got it at a discount as a second or something. A flaw like that should have been disclosed. Think about it. Think how much time that knife was in the makers hand while he polished it etc. He knew.
It would be different in a factory made work knife for 50 bucks. At least in my opinion.

The custom makers I know would actually insist that you send it back.

Hey...they can make a mistake every now & then. They're human.

I had an obvious flaw with a David Broadwell custom. When I pointed it out...he was grateful & apologetic. They don't want their name on a flawed knife. He corrected it to perfection.

Contact the maker. Bet they'd appreciate it.

The image is blurry, but it looks like a horribly high riding spring on open:eek: Uncomfortable to use and an eyesore to boot.

If that's custom, it wouldn't get my custom again, nor most other people I believe...

I do understand that when something's wrong and the item is expensive it seems almost embarrassing but it should not be like that:thumbsdown:

Even though most of my slip joints are a Rough Rider of one pattern or another, none of them have that proud spring feature or syndrome.
If I ever got an expensive production knife or a custom made one, I would guess it would drive me crazy (short trip it would be) since if an inexpensive mass production knife like Rough Rider can "get it right" there is no legitimate excuse for a high end production/limited production knife company or a hand made custom knife maker to "get it wrong".

(Just my opinion. I may be probably am mistaken.)

You wouldn't throw it away if you dumped a couple grand on it.. or ya might i reckon. different strokes for different folks.:thumbsup:
Couple grand? Must be the Tony Bose you just got. I would expect he will fix it for you.

Maybe I missed this answer...is this a custom? What position is the blade in when this happens, half stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back