Would this bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the input. Lots of valid points. I have some thinking to do I suppose. Probably gonna just overlook it and gut a deer with it. I can’t afford these things to be honest so when I buy one it’s gonna do some cutting.

Last edited:
ccsavage ccsavage -if it is, Tony Reece, Tom Ploppert, Luke Swenson, Andy Fannin, Todd Davison, Bill Ruple, any of those makers would ask you to send it back. I know for a fact. If it’s someone I missed, Pena, Jalomo, Wiseman, ANY of them would want you to contact them. If you need to get in touch with someone, send me a pm, maybe I can help:thumbsup:
Thanks, Neal

If it was anything better than a GEC then yes it would bother me. I'll deal with a high spring in the half stop position but only from GEC or a lesser brand. Case Bose or above? No way. Better be flush in all 3 positions.

I'm gonna live with it and be happy about it..I realize custom knives are pricey and also like driving a new car off the lot. I never complain to makers about issues I find with their knives for fear off offending them, and although they are being paid well for a product I always feel like they are doing me a favor not the opposite.. If a makers work is in demand the consumer is at their mercy. simple supply and demand. All good here.
If you paid more than $100 you should send it back . If you Offend a Custom Maker , that is their problem . They should not be in business if they produce work like that . It obviously bothers you or you would not have brought the issue up . You may just save the next customer from getting a bad product .

Harry

...I never complain to makers about issues I find with their knives for fear off offending them, and although they are being paid well for a product I always feel like they are doing me a favor not the opposite...

With all due respect, I don’t understand this viewpoint.

No one is perfect, but if I’m paying a premium price for something, I expect a level of work commensurate with the price paid.

Thanks for all the advice and views on this. I think I need to address the issue with confidence as petty as it may seem as a service to myself and my fellow knife enthusiasts . And as some of you have said a maker would likely want to fix it. Here’s a better look.
0E3C2B3D-DE78-4A32-997A-C6B76770214A.jpeg 2B5BC9A1-71FE-4E55-B9B2-C680510FA0E3.jpeg

If you need help talking to anyone, reach out. Plenty of folks here who are acquainted with various makers. You’re making the right decision.:thumbsup:
Thanks , Neal

If you need help talking to anyone, reach out. Plenty of folks here who are acquainted with various makers. You’re making the right decision.:thumbsup:
Thanks , Neal
I appreciate that. I feel uneasy about making as fuss to a maker if I'm not happy with something. I think maybe my expectations are set to high.

Most knifemakers are pretty down to earth folks. As long as you’re honest with them, they’ll take care of you with no complaints.
Neal

Depends on the price of the knife. Under $50, I kind of expect stuff like that. I'd probably try to exchange it if it were a $100 knife ... but if it bugs you, it's a problem, so why not return it? There's nothing worse than a knife that annoys you every time you take it out.

If it's a maker, as in hand made, and not a manufacturer, I'd want it fixed. If not I might live with it, depending on how much it cost and whether it was purchased to set aside in a collection.
What they said.

I appreciate that. I feel uneasy about making as fuss to a maker if I'm not happy with something. I think maybe my expectations are set to high.

I can understand that. Not everyone is comfortable with being confronational, particularly if it's some area you take plaesure in

In addition, the maker sent it to you with full knowledgs it was flawed. They could have remade the knife if they wanted to.

I can understand that. Not everyone is comfortable with being confronational, particularly if it's some area you take plaesure in

In addition, the maker sent it to you with full knowledgs it was flawed. They could have remade the knife if they wanted to.
You are right and that's how I feel. This knife was ordered for me through a dealer. The knife was due by July, according to the dealer the blade was out of heat treat in early June and the maker was looking for stag to finish it. July came and I noticed he had made the same model knife for somebody else (absolute stunner!!). It was a shocker and a let down to me considering I sent the dealer full payment plus shipping a couple weeks before July so we would be good to go. I received my knife middle of September. Needless to say I'm not to happy about a few things. I think my order became a nuisance or something to get out of the way. It's evident that there is a deep seeded hierarchy when it comes to some of these fancy sharp objects, an inner circle, and if your not in it you will go to the back of the line and will not get the best. For a blue collar guy that has to sell a few knives from his collection and work a few weekends to get the money together for something it's a major letdown. Haha.....but it's still pretty nice. As far as sending it back for repair.......I'd feel more comfortable sending a whopper back at burger king complaining it was to cold. Regardless of all of it I'm grateful to both the dealer and the maker for the chance to even own it even if it wasn't what I expected.

Last edited:
On a Queen production knife this would annoy me.

Better to be proud in the closed, rather than open....

On a GEC that I bought directly, I'd probably send it back.

I don't mind proud or under sprung in the half position as much, but in a custom... no.... unless it was a very inexpensive custom;b(ie close to GEC price) and I knew about it before ordering.

I've received custom knives from the second hand market, by real custom makers with grinds wonky enough to make me think I've OD'd on acid!!!!!! (Undisclosed of course.....).

On a Queen production knife this would annoy me.

Better to be proud in the closed, rather than open....

On a GEC that I bought directly, I'd probably send it back.

I don't mind proud or under sprung in the half position as much, but in a custom... no.... unless it was a very inexpensive custom;b(ie close to GEC price) and I knew about it before ordering.

I've received custom knives from the second hand market, by real custom makers with grinds wonky enough to make me think I've OD'd on acid!!!!!! (Undisclosed of course.....).
I actually feel I'm being petty about it but at the same time if I weren't particular about details such as no gaps, flush joints, symmetry and attention to detail I wouldn't be blowing my money on custom knives. I think I was spoiled when I bought my first Jess Horn and have been searching for that perfection ever since.

Maybe I'm just blind as usual but I went through this again and I still can't find where it states what position the blade is in with the high spring, if it's anything but 1/2 stop it needs to go back. If half stop I personally don't care where the spring is as I never use a knife in the half stop position, most of my knives I've never looked to see where the spring sits at half stop.

Maybe I'm just blind as usual but I went through this again and I still can't find where it states what position the blade is in with the high spring, if it's anything but 1/2 stop it needs to go back. If half stop I personally don't care where the spring is as I never use a knife in the half stop position, most of my knives I've never looked to see where the spring sits at half stop.
In the photo on post #1, it looks like the open position. In the photo on post #28, it looks like the closed position. I am assuming both open and closed.

The photos he posted in the Bose thread show it to be a lock back knife, I assume it has no half stop.

In the photo on post #1, it looks like the open position. In the photo on post #28, it looks like the closed position. I am assuming both open and closed.

The photos he posted in the Bose thread show it to be a lock back knife, I assume it has no[/QUOTE I'd prefer not to name any makers in this thread, thanks.

I'd prefer not to name any makers in this thread, thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back