Would this bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe time for someone with the ability to do so to get rid of this thread, Thanks to everyone for their two cents on the issue, i appreciate what everyone had to say.
Gold members can close their own threads. Go to the opening post. Just above it on the right you will see "thread tools". Click on it and there is a drop down menu. Toward the bottom is a box with the word "Open" next to it. Clear the check from the box and the thread is no longer open.

I decided to send pictures and contact the maker of the knife about the proud spring and not only did he not offer to fix it up, he didn't respond to me at all. I then sent pictures to the dealer who make it possible for me to get the knife and he told me that he thinks my OCD must be getting the better of me, but then said he was sorry I wasn't happy. This was after a few days with no response and only after I contacted him a second time. Haha, I reckon there are politics involved with being unhappy about knives made by certain people. Apparently it is unacceptable and apparently I'm out of my league. So it's a little proud when closed, big whoop.. I think possibly if it bothers me enough I may be able to just file the kick a touch and it will lower it. Thanks again

That's how a custom maker and retailer responds to warranty work?
I wouldn't even accept a proud spring at the closed position from GEC, much less a 'custom'.
Okay, I really didn't care before, but now I really want to know who NOT to send my money to in the future.

wow. now i really want to know who it was.
you know, if they know you are reluctant to name them, they will be much less motivated to make it right.
About 16 years ago, I was a music Major (classical guitar) in college and bought an expensive (to me) new classical guitar from a well known music store. It cost about 1600 dollars. I had it for one semester and noticed cracks in the face next to the finger board. I brought it to the music store where I had bought it, and they looked it over at the repair counter, and discovered inside the guitar there were cleats glued across the cracks. They had already been repaired once. When I bought it, it was supposed to be new. The guy at the counter said "we'll make it right, but I can't do anything now. you'll have to leave it and my boss will look it over on monday. (I lived a 2 + hour drive away). "Ok," I said and went home. On monday I called the store and the boss said "I see the repairs, but how do I know you didn't repair it yourself?" they weren't going to replace it or refund. I figured there was nothing else I could do, so I got my guitar back and grumbled, but did nothing about it. I was young and frustrated and instead of being delighted with my guitar, I now felt cheated every time I looked at it. I abused that guitar for the next 4 years.
I got a job at a music store teaching guitar and was doing pretty well. one day I was reminiscing about that event, and felt like I had to do something. I sent an email to the store owner relating the above story. I added that when they first cheated me I was a freshman in college, now I had a job teaching about 35 students a week, and that every time a student asked my advise about buying a higher quality instrument, I told them about my experiences at that store.
I got an email back almost instantly. They would be happy to replace it.
their delay and my frustration were not kind to the original guitar. It was beat up when they got it back. If they would have dealt with it right the first time the guitar I gave them back could have been repaired and sold in nearly new condition. When they got it there were cracks, dents, dings, chips of finish missing, cracks and holes in the case, etc.
I think that the prime motivator for a businessman is often his reputation. If they know you won't name them then they have no reason to make it right.

OP I must say I find your stance rather confusing: you asked us if you were being too choosy and unreasonable, overwhelmingly the response was that you were not and that this type of finish is not acceptable at custom level (or even at some manufacturing levels by quite a few). You say you don't like to complain, many can relate to that, but you ask others what they feel. Then you state that for you this knife demanded financial sacrifice- as it would to most on here - which makes your discontent argument more compelling. Yet then you say that you feel lucky just to be able to allowed to own this knife??? Uh uh! And you ask for the thread to be locked to silence further debate, but not speculation.

Frankly, I don't think you've been served well by either of the parties in this situation, the dealer and the maker should consider our grievances as they are and at least offer a refund. After all, IF the knife is so stellar and you are merely being difficult and pedantic in expectations then they won't have any problem selling it on to another eager and more 'reasonable' customer. Think on that ;)

Thanks, Will

I wouldn’t live with it on a $200 knife. You can’t see everything from pics, if you order a knife and don’t like it, they should refund, replace or repair. No matter how much it costs.

OP I must say I find your stance rather confusing: you asked us if you were being too choosy and unreasonable, overwhelmingly the response was that you were not and that this type of finish is not acceptable at custom level (or even at some manufacturing levels by quite a few). You say you don't like to complain, many can relate to that, but you ask others what they feel. Then you state that for you this knife demanded financial sacrifice- as it would to most on here - which makes your discontent argument more compelling. Yet then you say that you feel lucky just to be able to allowed to own this knife??? Uh uh! And you ask for the thread to be locked to silence further debate, but not speculation.

Frankly, I don't think you've been served well by either of the parties in this situation, the dealer and the maker should consider our grievances as they are and at least offer a refund. After all, IF the knife is so stellar and you are merely being difficult and pedantic in expectations then they won't have any problem selling it on to another eager and more 'reasonable' customer. Think on that ;)

Thanks, Will
I'm actually confused about it as well Will, I do love this knife and i wish i would have never fixated on that spring. The fact that it bothered me was making me question my own sanity...lol. So I thought I would ask you folks here if it would bother you. And it did so I started to think maybe i should say something about it, I did and it backfired. Hell for all I know the knife gods have me on a blacklist for bringing it up at all. I need to quit my sniffling and whining and move on.:D:thumbsup:

wow. now i really want to know who it was.
you know, if they know you are reluctant to name them, they will be much less motivated to make it right.
About 16 years ago, I was a music Major (classical guitar) in college and bought an expensive (to me) new classical guitar from a well known music store. It cost about 1600 dollars. I had it for one semester and noticed cracks in the face next to the finger board. I brought it to the music store where I had bought it, and they looked it over at the repair counter, and discovered inside the guitar there were cleats glued across the cracks. They had already been repaired once. When I bought it, it was supposed to be new. The guy at the counter said "we'll make it right, but I can't do anything now. you'll have to leave it and my boss will look it over on monday. (I lived a 2 + hour drive away). "Ok," I said and went home. On monday I called the store and the boss said "I see the repairs, but how do I know you didn't repair it yourself?" they weren't going to replace it or refund. I figured there was nothing else I could do, so I got my guitar back and grumbled, but did nothing about it. I was young and frustrated and instead of being delighted with my guitar, I now felt cheated every time I looked at it. I abused that guitar for the next 4 years.
I got a job at a music store teaching guitar and was doing pretty well. one day I was reminiscing about that event, and felt like I had to do something. I sent an email to the store owner relating the above story. I added that when they first cheated me I was a freshman in college, now I had a job teaching about 35 students a week, and that every time a student asked my advise about buying a higher quality instrument, I told them about my experiences at that store.
I got an email back almost instantly. They would be happy to replace it.
their delay and my frustration were not kind to the original guitar. It was beat up when they got it back. If they would have dealt with it right the first time the guitar I gave them back could have been repaired and sold in nearly new condition. When they got it there were cracks, dents, dings, chips of finish missing, cracks and holes in the case, etc.
I think that the prime motivator for a businessman is often his reputation. If they know you won't name them then they have no reason to make it right.
Great story and I agree. As far as bringing up names, no thanks, doing that here can create a major sh*tstorm.

I have an expensive custom with a sunken spring. When it came to me you could barely see it but you could snag a fingernail on it but as it broke in it sank more. It's stabilized now. It's the same depth in all positions and functions perfectly. I bought it to use it, hasn't left my pocket in the 3 months I've owned it. It's not eating at me but I'm considering asking the maker to fix it. Just trying to decide if it's worth the money to ship it overseas for the fix. 20190929_160340.jpg

ccsavage ccsavage When did you contact the maker? Is it possible that he hasn't read your email yet? Some of us go off somewhere for the weekend and we don't own smart phones.

Not everyone is going to respond to you on your schedule. Give folks a chance to respond. And, please, stop throwing around the term 'OCD'.

Not everyone is going to respond to you on your schedule. Give folks a chance to respond. And, please, stop throwing around the term 'OCD'.
The term was thrown at me sir, and doesn't bother me one bit. by the definition i'm textbook OCD.

I have an expensive custom with a sunken spring. When it came to me you could barely see it but you could snag a fingernail on it but as it broke in it sank more. It's stabilized now. It's the same depth in all positions and functions perfectly. I bought it to use it, hasn't left my pocket in the 3 months I've owned it. It's not eating at me but I'm considering asking the maker to fix it. Just trying to decide if it's worth the money to ship it overseas for the fix. View attachment 1204882
Yea that might bug me, I'm sure he'd be glad to fix it.

I decided to send pictures and contact the maker of the knife about the proud spring and not only did he not offer to fix it up, he didn't respond to me at all. I then sent pictures to the dealer who make it possible for me to get the knife and he told me that he thinks my OCD must be getting the better of me, but then said he was sorry I wasn't happy. This was after a few days with no response and only after I contacted him a second time. Haha, I reckon there are politics involved with being unhappy about knives made by certain people. Apparently it is unacceptable and apparently I'm out of my league. So it's a little proud when closed, big whoop.. I think possibly if it bothers me enough I may be able to just file the kick a touch and it will lower it. Thanks again

I know exactly what you mean. Similar expeiences have taken me to buying custom knives I can hold in my hand before putting down money. I've been to some major custom shows and not all of the work matches the rep of the maker. I've taken to buying lesser known makers (buy the knife not the story) or used knives.

When it comes to returns, I've had three famous makers do less than stellar work. One ABS mastersmith hogged off too much metal. Another well known slipjoint maker put in a single washer to fix a blade in a mini-trapper that got sloppy; I asked for a big peened pivot pin, but didn't get it. I was willing to pay for it too. After a short while it got loose again, I fixed myself with an anvil and a small hammer, bolster's goobered up, but it's my "beater" slipjoint :)

I have two custom traditionals that are regularly used hard w/o problems, they were made by little known cutlers...go figure.

I know exactly what you mean. Similar expeiences have taken me to buying custom knives I can hold in my hand before putting down money. I've been to some major custom shows and not all of the work matches the rep of the maker. I've taken to buying lesser known makers (buy the knife not the story) or used knives.

When it comes to returns, I've had three famous makers do less than stellar work. One ABS mastersmith hogged off too much metal. Another well known slipjoint maker put in a single washer to fix a blade in a mini-trapper that got sloppy; I asked for a big peened pivot pin, but didn't get it. I was willing to pay for it too. After a short while it got loose again, I fixed myself with an anvil and a small hammer, bolster's goobered up, but it's my "beater" slipjoint :)

I have two custom traditionals that are regularly used hard w/o problems, they were made by little known cutlers...go figure.
Good points and I agree with you, I usually go for used knives myself, most of the time they aren't really used at all anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back