Would this bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really yearn for those custom slip joints, then one of these stories happens. IF this is a multi hundred $$ custom, and I did not get satisfaction, I would out the dealer and maker faster than you can say I would out the dealer and maker, no disrespect to the OP. I would consider it need to know information for knuts.

The world is full of @ssh#les........because people let'em get away with it. - from Mr. Inbetween

I have a knife that's never used by a well known maker..spring sunk in all positions and the blade rattles when open...guy never responded to my inquiries..bought it direct too. It was only a $750 loss that almost made me want to quit collecting customs....instead I am focusing on knives by makers I know care about their products like Ohta...who recently told me he would accept no payment for fixing a knife with a broken spring because he "learns a lot" fixing a knife. That statement meant a lot to me and he has a a customer for life and I will recommend his work to anyone asking. Meanwhile a guy in the USA has such an ego he just doesn't respond.

I am sorry you are dealing with this man.

The maker got back to me about this and was honest and I feel better. He told me 'its the best I can do on them lockbacks and he's sorry i wasn't happy, then said I could sell the knife if i wasn't happy and probably even make a profit.
I wont be adding anymore to this thread, i'm happy the maker got back to me, he was nice and honest, time to move on.

Sorry you had to endure this in a hobby that is supposed to be fun. The makers statement about “the best he can do” and “probably sell it for a profit” makes me shake my head. This whole deal reinforces my opinions on expensive customs vs. production models although I respect anyone’s differing view.
Glad you are able to move on and I wish you better luck next time.:thumbsup:

When I work on a knife I talk with the customer all through the process making sure everything is how they want it. My work isn't perfect but I refuse to take a customers money unless they are happy. To me this personal interaction is what custom knife work is about and why I'm willing to pay for it. Don't care how famous he is, a maker who gave me a flawed knife without checking with me first, and didn't offer to make it right is not treating the reputation of custom makers right.

When I work on a knife I talk with the customer all through the process making sure everything is how they want it. My work isn't perfect but I refuse to take a customers money unless they are happy. To me this personal interaction is what custom knife work is about and why I'm willing to pay for it. Don't care how famous he is, a maker who gave me a flawed knife without checking with me first, and didn't offer to make it right is not treating the reputation of custom makers right.
I agree with you on that:thumbsup:

The maker got back to me about this and was honest and I feel better. He told me 'its the best I can do on them lockbacks and he's sorry i wasn't happy, then said I could sell the knife if i wasn't happy and probably even make a profit.
I wont be adding anymore to this thread, i'm happy the maker got back to me, he was nice and honest, time to move on.

- aaaah, early on when I made a comment I did not realise it was a lockback.

Lockbacks are probably the most difficult folder to make.........properly. It still doesn't really forgive the amount the spine sticks up...

When visiting and chatting to our best senior and most experienced folder maker here in UK, he's told me more than once that he probably takes a folder apart at least 30+ times before he's happy with the final adjustment and content to let it out the 'shop.....his aint cheap ;)

Very sorry you've had this experience, but I guess it comes to all collectors/folder buyers at some time.........it's how we deal with it that matters in the end :)

Once bought a stunning looking Trapper from ACK made by a renowned US folder maker - man, I was excited. When it arrived, couldn't believe they'd couriered it to me, it was awful. Then had the anxiety of sending it back and getting my money returned ($600). Another time I bought a slipjoint from an even more renowned US maker as a s/hand item.....when it arrived it wasn't what I expected. However, it was sold with 'some rust damage' so, given the price I paid and what they would otherwise go for, I was content.....eventually.

It's all a rich learning curve, and we all have this wonderful forum to dive into and seek solace / advice / whatever. We learn stuff.......it's only money....no-one died ;)

Last edited:
- aaaah, early on when I made a comment I did not realise it was a lockback.

Lockbacks are probably the most difficult folder to make.........properly. It still doesn't really forgive the amount the spine sticks up...

When visiting and chatting to our best senior and most experienced folder maker here in UK, he's told me more than once that he probably takes a folder apart at least 30+ times before he's happy with the final adjustment and content to let it out the 'shop.....his aint cheap ;)

Very sorry you've had this experience, but I guess it comes to all collectors/folder buyers at some time.........it's how we deal with it that matters in the end :)

Once bought a stunning looking Trapper from ACK made by a renowned US folder maker - man, I was excited. When it arrived, couldn't believe they'd couriered it to me, it was awful. Then had the anxiety of sending it back and getting my money returned ($600). Another time I bought a slipjoint from an even more renowned US maker as a s/hand item.....when it arrived it wasn't what I expected. However, it was sold with 'some rust damage' so, given the price I paid and what they would otherwise go for, I was content.....eventually.

It's all a rich learning curve, and we all have this wonderful forum to dive into and seek solace / advice / whatever. We learn stuff.......it's only money....no-one died ;)
Thanks, and yes we learn as we go and I'm actually content and will get over it. like I said, i still dig the knife. Its well built regardless of a few flaws.

Well I'm glad you heard back, but the answer would not have been to my liking quite frankly...

If a type or pattern of knife is beyond the maker's competence then they should not really be offering them for sale- unless they warn the customer that there will be construction faults. A custom knife is supposed to be a personal order with a personal connexion to it. Moreover, a custom knife is almost always considerably more costly than its production cousin, one expects superior build and finesse. Otherwise why bother exulting artisan or hand-made skill ?? It may or may not be of relevance, but a MOKI lockback that I have is flawless in all aspects of construction and finish: silent tight lock-up, no play at all, totally flush and you practically cannot see the line between backspring and tang, looks like a fixed blade.True I don't care for the scales at all-aesthetically speaking- but its build is peerless, one might expect a Custom maker to be able to replicate this as well:rolleyes:

..a MOKI lockback that I have is flawless in all aspects of construction and finish: silent tight lock-up, no play at all, totally flush and you practically cannot see the line between backspring and tang, looks like a fixed blade.

The Moki-made lockback I have is as good a lockback as any I've ever seen. Custom or production.

Last edited:
Well I'm glad you heard back, but the answer would not have been to my liking quite frankly...

If a type or pattern of knife is beyond the maker's competence then they should not really be offering them for sale- unless they warn the customer that there will be construction faults. A custom knife is supposed to be a personal order with a personal connexion to it. Moreover, a custom knife is almost always considerably more costly than its production cousin, one expects superior build and finesse. Otherwise why bother exulting artisan or hand-made skill ?? It may or may not be of relevance, but a MOKI lockback that I have is flawless in all aspects of construction and finish: silent tight lock-up, no play at all, totally flush and you practically cannot see the line between backspring and tang, looks like a fixed blade.True I don't care for the scales at all-aesthetically speaking- but its build is peerless, one might expect a Custom maker to be able to replicate this as well:rolleyes:

Custom knives are often not "personal orders." Just go to a knife show, a lot of makers call themselves custom, but have multiples of the same design not made to order.

How good a knife is also depends upon where in a maker's career the knife was made. I have a Sunfish Forge slipjoint and a Hawg pocket fixed blade both made in 90's. Their fit/finish is different compared to the same two makers now, but the knives are highly functional and look good. Some makers actually get a little less perfect as they get old. Some are blind to it, others give "show discounts" :)

I buy less than perfect custom knives as long as they are fun, functional and look good. "Don't buy no ugly knife!" :)

I agree about the ugly knife part:D:thumbsup:

However, being in Europe I can't visit US gun or knife shows to examine the offerings from Custom makers, so my orders are a personal thing and yes I do expect them to be up to scratch;) I will say that my dealings with Mr Ohta in Japan have shown me what the Custom experience should be all about, he offers no excuses, he keeps his word :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back