Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious. Was visiting the Buck homepage to look at some information about the Colleague, Nobleman and Lux. and there were some nasty comments about how Chinese Bucks are garbage and trash and general turnoffs.

China is able to make high quality (and I mean high quality) industry products. Why they should not be albe to make kigh quality knives? Have a look at the three Selkirks for example, the two folder and the fixed. They are well made and durable. You'll get a lot of knife for your money. There's no reason to decline the Chinese made Buck knives. Yes, I would buy China Bucks. I've already bought Buck knives made in China.

Haebbie

Last edited:
Hello Haebbie there is a stigma in the U.S. from years past that China made goods relate back to plastic toys and other goods that were cheaply made, came from China. Currently much of the computerized machinery comes from overseas manufacturers, Korea, China among others. Japan has robotics that build our cars,Toyotas among others. The knives made overseas are competitive with U.S. manufactured knives. The big quality question is in heat treatment. I think Buck has it hands down.

Last edited:
For me it's not a quality issue. It's a not made in USA issue. Buck has too many American made knives to buy a chinese one.

I would agree with this. I have a couple that my wife got me because she doesn't know any better and I think they're ok. The quality is decent but I still don't carry them. Chinese products are everywhere and it's pretty hard to avoid them unfortunately. I can say this though, when it comes to knives and boots I only go American made...

I've bought several Chinese made knives from several makers including Buck. They have all met and in the case of the Buck models, exceeded my expectations and their price point.

I have a Buck made in Taiwan (the "other China"), a Diamondback. It was inexpensive and it is a useful and durable tool. I doubt I will buy another, but I can't say never.

Zieg

No, but not because it's made in China.

If I'm going to buy Chinese-made knives I'd go with a Rough Rider. They're very good quality and cost a lot less than Buck's Chinese-made models. Why pay for the Buck name when you can get just as good (if not better) quality knives for a lot less.

China can make ANY quality--from lowest to highest. The customer company just has to specify what they want........from cheap junk to superb gems.
I have some of the early Buck knives from China and they are as good as any knives on the market.
Buck obviously specified a very high standard.
I tend to buy "Made in U.S.A" but that's not a comment on quality, just a personal preference.

NO!

China poisoned our pets with toxic dog food.

China shipped toxic dry-wall and flooring to the U.S. necessitating removal of these building materials from homes.

China tried to send toxic baby formula but fortunately it was discovered before they poisoned our infants.Unfortunately the Chinese sicked thousands of their own infants and caused several fatalities.

I don't trust them.

NO!

China poisoned our pets with toxic dog food.

China shipped toxic dry-wall and flooring to the U.S. necessitating removal of these building materials from homes.

China tried to send toxic baby formula but fortunately it was discovered before they poisoned our infants.Unfortunately the Chinese sicked thousands of their own infants and caused several fatalities.

I don't trust them.

Ummmmm........don't want to spoil your rant, but it's the responsibility of the American company importing Chinese-made products to ensure that the products are good.
That said, of course we don't trust the Chinese. They are competitors for our position as world's greatest super power. But when our companies buy from them it's "let the buyer beware--and BE AWARE of what they're getting so that American consumers are protected.

i would not buy a Chinese made buck. not that buck is the very best quality at all, but because generally when you out source to China, its to save costs and profit.
if WE knives was making them, it would be a different story, id buy that in a heart beat, as they have proven quality (same with only a few others like Reate).

id probably even buy one if it were made in Taiwan if the quality was there (for example spyderco Taiwan factory).

but if it a buck was stamped china, i wouldnt touch it unless i knew it was a quality product.

The other thing is... would it have the BOS heat treat? if not, no way hoe say

with all that said, i dont think Buck is anywhere near the best quality, and they dont provide high end steel types, but some of the steel they do have is often optimized by the BOS HT, which is better than the budget steel from china.

Last edited:
I would if I handeled one first and thought it was worth the money. Unfortunately for me Chinese stuff is all I can afford anymore.

I bought a Buck Trapper made in China, before I realized what I had. Quality was pretty good, sharp, sturdy build. I don't carry it, too heavy in my pocket. Just not my thing. I must confess though, I do have a problem with "Made in China". I buy USA made when possible.

Ummmmm........don't want to spoil your rant, but it's the responsibility of the American company importing Chinese-made products to ensure that the products are good.
That said, of course we don't trust the Chinese. They are competitors for our position as world's greatest super power. But when our companies buy from them it's "let the buyer beware--and BE AWARE of what they're getting so that American consumers are protected.

Don't worry you didn't spoil anything,because it wasn't a rant but a statement of fact.

I would not buy a China made Buck.....There are a hand full of the American made Bucks I wouldn't waste my money on. I have one Chinese Buck, it was a gift, my wifes uncle knew I liked Buck knives......I am a Collector more than a user, but even if I was 100% a user of knives and did not collect, I would fork out the few extra dollars for an American made Buck, even if the quality wasn't as good as a China Buck, which I can't imagine is the case very often if at all.....I wish China had the same Stupidity movement the USA has been pushing the last 10-20 years, then maybe we would have a chance to maintain our position as World superpower.......

No, but not because it's made in China.

If I'm going to buy Chinese-made knives I'd go with a Rough Rider. They're very good quality and cost a lot less than Buck's Chinese-made models. Why pay for the Buck name when you can get just as good (if not better) quality knives for a lot less.

I agree. Why let Buck pocket the money? I also don't like it when companies tout their American roots and culture, but source their products overseas. I will still buy from them, but only their US-made product.

I agree. Why let Buck pocket the money? I also don't like it when companies tout their American roots and culture, but source their products overseas. I will still buy from them, but only their US-made product.
That's pretty much how I feel, plus I love BUCK because I can get an American made knife at an affordable price.
I'm not saying that china can't make a good knife, but an American made Buck knife is something I can carry on the 4th of July and be proud to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back