Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm ... Buck (a USA company) has them made to their specifications, (just as their in-house knives are) and are selling them at a profit. Buck also backs their imported knives exactly the same as those produced in-house.
Yes, they are imported.
This creates more jobs in the US than making the knives in-house would.
Consider those hired to unload the container ships, those involved in warehousing, trucks to deliver the product all need drivers ... (the trucks and trailers also create jobs for those who build the trucks and trailers, and those who make the components for them), and those who work for the railroads on the cases where rail transportation is used.
QUOTE]

Sarcasm, right?

I'll play...
Think of all of the new jobs for people to build freighters (ships), shipping containers, tractor-trailers, fork lifts, warehouses, highways, airplanes, fuel depots, oil rigs, pallets, tires, head light bulbs, tail light bulbs, shrink wrap, diesel fuel, gas stations; and all of the new jobs created to operate those things all thanks to the fact that Buck makes knives in China. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I mean, a dozen or so employees, domestic sourced materials, and US dollars can't compete with all that job creation; right??:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

After a career as a contractor, using all that vaunted American labor and products, I prefer goods and employees from overseas.

Sarcasm, right?

I'll play...
Think of all of the new jobs for people to build freighters (ships), shipping containers, tractor-trailers, fork lifts, warehouses, highways, airplanes, fuel depots, oil rigs, pallets, tires, head light bulbs, tail light bulbs, shrink wrap, diesel fuel, gas stations; and all of the new jobs created to operate those things all thanks to the fact that Buck makes knives in China. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I mean, a dozen or so employees, domestic sourced materials, and US dollars can't compete with all that job creation; right??:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Most of those manufactured items you mention are made with at least US sourced materials, dollars, and labor.
European and Asian trucks, for example, are not normally imported to the USA.
As for the rest, I don't know what the United States (civilian) commercial ship building capability is these days. Do we even have any shipyards other than those building ships for the Navy left? Are the new ships and submarines being built for our Navy today even made in the US? (Seriously. I do not know if they are.)
Off hand, I can think of very few consumer products available in the US that are made without offshore components, or are not entirely made off shore.
Take your "domestic" car, for example. GM, Ford, and Dodge/Chrysler all import their electrical harnesses from Mexico.
The transmissions from Germany, Mexico, and Canada. That 9 speed automatic, used by everyone, is a German design, which is made in only one plant in the world. (If memory serves, it is in Tennessee or Kentucky. I picked up a few loads there.) The electronic parts are made in Mexico and/or Asia.
FWIW, Toyota, Subaru, Benz, Audi, Mazda, Nissan, and others have manufacturing plants in the US. They also use US sourced components, labor, and dollars.
TV's, computers, "smart" phones, audio equipment, broadcasting equipment ... have not been made domestically in decades.
(BTW the top broadcasting equipment, boards, transceivers, etc. is currently Italian)
Apple iWhatever and Mac are made in Mexico or in Asia.
I cannot think of any television that is made in the USA.
It is my understanding that the US has imported more steel than it produces since at least the early 1980's. (EPA regulations play a major roll in that, of course. Just as US Drilling regulations and restrictions mean we import more crude oil than we drill ourselves.)

Yes, I agree. With NAFTA, Billy Clinton and the Democrats royally screwed us.
I doubt we will ever fully recover our manufacturing capabilities. The government and labor unions seem to be against that, as well. Both would rather see a company close its US plant and either start production offshore, or become history.

So no, in answer to your question, I was not being sarcastic.

I do not want to see anyone lose their job, be it (to use your words) "a few dozen employees" or the thousands that have lost their jobs (or will lose them) because of downsizing, plants closing because of government regulations, union demands, taxes, or any other reason.

I buy new Buck knives to support Buck.
Yes, given my preferences, I will buy the Idaho made products first
I hope Buck does start making the 389 Canoe in-house, at an affordable price. Same for their trapper and other models made in China and elsewhere.
Until they do, I will still buy their products, no matter where they are made.

You make some good points, afishhunter. Making a political statement with our wallets is a complicated proposition and I certainly don't believe that the small amount of money that I spend will influence American manufacturing. Still, there are times that I decide against a purchase just because it goes against my grain, especially discretionary purchases, like another knife that I don't need.

Hi Joe, does Buck plan to bring any off shore production models back to Idaho considering a more favovable tax climate made possible by President Trump?

What a great question, i'm curious too, i'd be all over a couple of US made Selkirks for starters.

Hi Joe, does Buck plan to bring any off shore production models back to Idaho considering a more favovable tax climate made possible by President Trump?
I don't believe Buck has knives made overseas to avoid taxes so I'm not sure how lowering corporate taxes would change where they are made? Buck doesn't have its headquarters overseas so I'm pretty sure they have been paying the full rate on profits from overseas production. It's the cost to make them that prompted Buck to look off shore so they could meet the sellers price point.

I don't believe Buck has knives made overseas to avoid taxes so I'm not sure how lowering corporate taxes would change where they are made? Buck doesn't have its headquarters overseas so I'm pretty sure they have been paying the full rate on profits from overseas production. It's the cost to make them that prompted Buck to look off shore so they could meet the sellers price point.
Ford has it's headquarters in the USA and is bringing off shore model production back , not sure I understand ?

I'll stick with supporting my brothers across the border in Idaho. Who the hell wants Buck to turn into a Schrade, or a Browning or Western. Not me. At the factory store every knife is clearly marked Imported or USA. There is no argument to be had over it. All of the knives built here support multiple locations across the US to provide parts to build knives in Idaho. So before someone thinks about trucks, and loaders and docks look at the infrastructure in place here in the USA. american jobs, our fathers and grandfathers fought and died for this for us. I'll stick with US built. Besides all the cheap knives come from China. But when you can buy a US made Buck 110 for 27.88. Tough to beat. We should be thankful. There would probably not be a collector's club in place for overseas product.

Last edited:
I'll stick with supporting my brothers across the border in Idaho. Who the hell wants Buck to turn into a Schrade, or a Browning or Western. Not me. At the factory store every knife is clearly marked Imported or USA. There is no argument to be had over it. All of the knives built here support multiple locations across the US to provide parts to build knives in Idaho. So before someone thinks about trucks, and loaders and docks look at the infrastructure in place here in the USA. american jobs, our fathers and grandfathers fought and died for this for us. I'll stick with US built. Besides all the cheap knives come from China. But when you can buy a US made Buck 110 for 27.88. Tough to beat. We should be thankful. There would probably not be a collector's club in place for overseas product.

You expressed my thoughts exacty Makael, better than I can put into words. When you can purchase a quality American Made Buck knife for as little as $20,why even bother to get one manufactured overseas?
http://www.dlttrading.com/buck-bantam-bbw-camo.html

Last edited:

Like I said, given my preferences, I will buy the Idaho made.
My 119, 877's (plural, white handled "Walmart" edition), 110's (plural) and 301's (plural) attest to this.
The Buck canoe and large trapper I have are not available made in Idaho.
My 371's (bone covers, and G10 covers) were bought because I like the Buck stockman, do not have access to my 301's (they are roughly 3,300 miles away, in South Florida), and no one in this area stocks the 301.
I bought a 373 to see if I like that size stockman, and it was on sale.
I have more Idaho made Bucks than offshore made.
I have one California made Buck.
Considering the fact that California "is another world" (true even when I lived there in the 1970's) I suppose you could argue it was "imported" as well.

Last couple pages read were brilliant. A lot of reading but in the end evryone is on record weather or not they would buy a Chinese Buck.
It was hard to buy my new Chinese made Selkirk folder as it was $10 more than what i can get a new 110 for. But with owning 10 plus 110’s two still in the blister packs i made the Selkirk the newest family member.
Didn’t really need another in the pocket w/clip knife as i have half a dozen Spydercos and a few Sogs for that duty. Guess it’s an addiction i will have to learn to live with.
Pretty sure i’m not the only one in blade forums with this disease.....

Just curious. Was visiting the Buck homepage to look at some information about the Colleague, Nobleman and Lux. and there were some nasty comments about how Chinese Bucks are garbage and trash and general turnoffs.
I own 2 Chinese Buck Knives a Canoe and a Stockman and the quality is spot on... Most all my knives are made in the USA or Switzerland but The Buck Chinese are really well made with bone handles too.

You probably would get a better response if you just start a new thread instead of responding to one that the last post was a year ago....

Well true but then i could not respond to afishhunters #205 and say US Steel is back and we now export more oil than we import!!
Hopefully that is why Buck is retooling to start bringing some Chinese bucks back to the USA!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back