Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not crazy about Buck knives being made in China but I do have this Graduate model. Bought it when I had an urge to buy a knife but didn't want to spend a lot. I haven't used it so I can't comment on the steel. I can't even remember what the steel is without looking it up but the construction is good with solid lockup and a centered blade.

IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3815.JPG IMG_3817.JPG IMG_3826.JPG

Sure! China has proven over and over again that its entirely capable of making knives on the same level, and far above the quality of a lot of American made knives.

I have and been left wanting. Besides were talking about Chinese line of Buck knives.

I have and been wanting. Besides were talking about Chinese line of Buck knives.
You're welcome to your opinion and i'm welcome to mine. But i have to assume you havent handled a WE knife, as all of mine have been absolutely perfect. And i believe theyre packed up right now, but im fairly sure i own a few chinese bucks, and they're also solid.

Dont let demographic limit your hobbies.

I have handled quite a few of them at Blade in Portland. I did not see what the attraction was. I also noticed they didn't have any more consumers at their booth than any other company there. I choose not to support a communist country. I have hundred of Knives and like I said I support the ones who support our hobby. In our appreciation of knives most of the people in the forums love knives. But our buying decisions amount to a gnats ass compared to the general public buying habits. The box stores, hardware stores, etc.

Sure! China has proven over and over again that its entirely capable of making knives on the same level, and far above the quality of a lot of American made knives.

Personally, I would buy a lesser quality US made knife, over a higher quality Chinese made knife. No disrespect meant to the Chinese people. I love their food. :)

Not really.
Capable is one thing. Quality can be made anywhere. Are the Chinese making quality on the level or above a lot of us manufacturers? No. The vast majority of Chinese knives aren't even close to American quality.

And as for buck, no I will not buy a Chinese variant because I can get us quality for not much more.

Quality is a function of management expertise, professional specifications and expert supervision. That's why Apple, JET and Grizzly get excellent products from China and Taiwan while companies like Harbor Freight are best avoided.

After a career as a general contractor, buying and using all levels of equipment from hammers to D-8s, I prefer equipment from known brand names made overseas.

Top quality without the Entitled American surcharge.

The best thing the world can do for American labor and manufacturing is merciless, unfair, cutthroat competition. Grow the teeth and claws to win a completely unfair, ruthless competition on a heavily tilted playing field or go home. Do it faster, better, earlier for longer at a lower price or have a seat.

Win
The
Fight.

Quality is a function of management expertise, professional specifications and expert supervision. That's why Apple, JET and Grizzly get excellent products from China and Taiwan while companies like Harbor Freight are best avoided.

After a career as a general contractor, buying and using all levels of equipment from hammers to D-8s, I prefer equipment from known brand names made overseas.

Top quality without the Entitled American surcharge.

The best thing the world can do for American labor and manufacturing is merciless, unfair, cutthroat competition. Grow the teeth and claws to win a completely unfair, ruthless competition on a heavily tilted playing field or go home. Do it faster, better, earlier for longer at a lower price or have a seat.

Win
The
Fight.
Maybe they can build a house or a mall cheaper. Just think of all of the free time you'll have.....

Capable is one thing. Quality can be made anywhere. Are the Chinese making quality on the level or above a lot of us manufacturers? No. The vast majority of Chinese knives aren't even close to American quality.

And as for buck, no I will not buy a Chinese variant because I can get us quality for not much more.
A lot of the big companies, ones I mentioned and others, are easily on the same level as just about anything comparable, no matter what country.

Now obviously if by vast majority, you mean gas station knives, then sure. But most of us dont usually count those as knives.

Im not saying anyone builds a better knife than the other. I also didnt roll in here saying the opposite. I wont buy a China made knife. My preference.

I dont think he was talking about just gas station knives. Bad chinese kives are everywhere. Waaaaaay more of those floating around than what comes from the brands you mentioned. Those are barely found in a brick and mortar store. Being a knife enthusiast website your gonna see knives here you dont see anywhere. But its less than 1% of the market. Means nothing.

A Buck 110 for 34.95 with a leather sheath. I dont think that can be beat. Made in the USA, Take the 12 dollars off due to the made in the usa sheath and youve got a knife that runs 22.95. I would say the 110 is better built for the money than any import I can think of. Plus 50 plus years of sales. I dont know if other brands can stay in business that long besides a model running that long.15 million sold and counting. Thats just one model.
Doesnt even include some of the classics, 103,119,124 plus all of the folders Buck makes.

Buck averages a million knives a year out of Post Falls. Pretty good numbers.

BU110_LS1R.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back