Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nothing against American made bucks. I already own a 110. And a 119, though cant remember if that is American made or not. You have no need to convince. But I'm not going to continue to buy 110s for the rest of my life. The variety outside of American made is insane.

the variety inside the USA is insane. Yes, the 110 and 119 are both usa made. 110 just had its 50th birthday and the 119 just had its 75th birthday. amazing.

Room for all that BS.:D

BS = Big Stick...I'll go along with that!!:D:D:D:p:cool:

I have nothing against American made bucks. I already own a 110. And a 119, though cant remember if that is American made or not. You have no need to convince. But I'm not going to continue to buy 110s for the rest of my life. The variety outside of American made is insane.

If you're here to talk about Buck Knives, Welcome! If you're here to trash or claim Chinese cr*p is better than the USA, then you're in the wrong forum....

Last edited:
BS = Big Stick...I'll go along with that!!:D:D:D:p:cool:

If here to talk about Buck Knives, Welcome! If you're here to trash or claim Chinese cr*p is better than the USA, then you're in the wrong forum....
Even just based on the post you quoted, I'm not here to trash. But to deny the quality of the bigger Chinese companies, or even just the American companies producing in China, such as buck and kershaw, is a bit silly.

As to the like ratio between We and buck, We is still a fairly new company, buck is a classic. No surprise there. Says absolutely nothing about quality.

Sure it does...Buck has had its trials and tribulations and has strived to make a Great product with a decent Price Point and are working to bring ALL models back to the USA. Buck didn't start in China, they moved some products there to compete with the cheap cutthroat new manufacturers who start in China and don't have a clue about quality and the desire to stand up for the USA workers. They're, "we", in it for a cheap $ production at a High Price Point for only profit...To heck with anything else...

Buck started in the USA and is still Proudly in the USA....

Last edited:
A lot of the big companies, ones I mentioned and others, are easily on the same level as just about anything comparable, no matter what country.

Now obviously if by vast majority, you mean gas station knives, then sure. But most of us dont usually count those as knives.
That is called cherry picking. The ones that can make equal quality can of course make equal quality.

The quality knives coming out of China dwarf the same or better quality knives coming out of the us.

Especially when you consider the topic of this thread, which you seem to have ignored. Buck USA is way better than Buck China.

Sure! China has proven over and over again that its entirely capable of making knives on the same level, and far above the quality of a lot of American made knives.

When you stroll in a Buck forum about would you buy a chinese Buck and say the quality is far above from China compared to US built your going to get a reaction, its what you wanted from this post.

This is a Buck enthusiast part of the forum. These guys have been buying and using knives for 50, 60, 70 plus years.

They hunt, camp, cook, fish, live outdoors. They are passionate and truly appreciative of this great country. A lot have served so you can have a safe place to rest your head. You probably work somewhere doing something, well imagine losing your job to an overseas competitor. Who's product would you support? Buck is a well rounded company that offers great products at a range of prices everyone can afford. They provide a living for 300 people in Idaho.

Buck has a lifetime warranty second to none. You can send in a 80 year old knife for a spa treatment. Not many companies offer this. I don't think I've ever heard of the brands you mention in any scenario that has anything to do with camping, hunting fishing and or surviving outdoors. This is where a knife proves it's worth. All I've heard and read was how easy to flip they are and attention to detail. Sounds like a knife for cutting threads, opening the mail or cleaning your fingernails. The statement that you own a 110 and a 119 but not sure is they are USA made tells us alot.

Have a great time buying and collecting whatever brand you prefer. That's great. There's more to a knife or company than you might think.

To clarify, i know where the 110 is made. I was unsure about the 119. And i was not searching for a reaction, and i never claimed Buck China surpassed Buck USA. I merely said i would buy a chinese buck and that i know that chinese companies have no issues making a quality knife, so i dont doubt a chinese section of an American company can make a good knife too.

I also dont recall cherry picking anything. Of course the majority of knives coming out of china are garbage, the majority of them are terrible gas station level knives. That could be said of almost any item coming out of china. But claiming the high quality knives aint worth their salt is entirely wrong.
I get a lot of the guys here might be a bit older and stuck in their ways, but i am in no way attacking Buck, only defending the high end chinese offerings. Disliking a knife purely because of the country of origin is asinine.

Also i happened upon a chinese buck today and grabbed it in honor of you guys. Its ok at best, but it is one of those cheap gift set ones walmart has around christmas.

50420039_2133069993424348_6744149667577069568_n.jpg

To clarify, i know where the 110 is made. I was unsure about the 119. And i was not searching for a reaction, and i never claimed Buck China surpassed Buck USA. I merely said i would buy a chinese buck and that i know that chinese companies have no issues making a quality knife, so i dont doubt a chinese section of an American company can make a good knife too.

I also dont recall cherry picking anything. Of course the majority of knives coming out of china are garbage, the majority of them are terrible gas station level knives. That could be said of almost any item coming out of china. But claiming the high quality knives aint worth their salt is entirely wrong.
I get a lot of the guys here might be a bit older and stuck in their ways, but i am in no way attacking Buck, only defending the high end chinese offerings. Disliking a knife purely because of the country of origin is asinine.

Also i happened upon a chinese buck today and grabbed it in honor of you guys. Its ok at best, but it is one of those cheap gift set ones walmart has around christmas.

50420039_2133069993424348_6744149667577069568_n.jpg
I own Bucks, Spydercos, even a Schempp, ZTs, Hinderers, Reeves, Ruanas, Busse, Beckers, KaBars, Helle, Opinel, GEC, Saks, Gerbers, Kershaws, Ontario and Swamprat.
I'm definitely not stuck in old ways.

I have an Buck Canoe, Made in China, It`s perfect no defects or scratches or finish problems, It`s made from420J2 not the usual 420HC, I cannot see an US made version being of higher quality, Buck must be keeping the quality in China under their thumb.

I do own some. Selkirk, and some 300 series, there's nothing wrong with them. The Selkirk has always done very well for Buck. The comment that people wish they were us made pops up alot. I know Buck needs the Chinese models in their lineup. Christmas tins for big stores etc, whoever watches over the import line does a great job making sure they meet Bucks standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back