Would you buy a new Benchmade with 154cm?

I could break a cardboard box with S110V and 154CM and they would be equally dull. The more boxes you break down, the duller 154CM would get, but S110V will reach an “ok” plateau and stay there forever.

The difference is after one box, 154CM will strop back to its original sharpness in about 20 seconds, whereas the S110V will never return back to its original sharpness unless you put it on the stones for 20 minutes. Now imagine how much work would have to go into sharpening a truly-dull S110V blade... That’s why 154CM is a better user steel (for me). I carry a small strop, so when it loses its bite, it’s ready to rock in less than a minute. If S110V gets dull in the field, you better have a backup knife.

Additionally, I’ve said this before on here, but S110V will go dull just sitting there. Others have said this as well, and it’s surmised that it is due to the poor edge stability. It’s a great steel for someone that needs an “adequately sharp” blade for a long freaking time and doesn’t mind spending hours sharpening it when it finally gets unbearable.

Personally, I’m not ok with “adequately sharp” so I run 154CM and am now hugely impressed with the S35VN put out by Chris Reeve. Both can get gnarly sharp, stay that way for a long while, then get brought back to life on leather with 1-micron diamond compound.

I could break a cardboard box with S110V and 154CM and they would be equally dull. The more boxes you break down, the duller 154CM would get, but S110V will reach an “ok” plateau and stay there forever.

The difference is after one box, 154CM will strop back to its original sharpness in about 20 seconds, whereas the S110V will never return back to its original sharpness unless you put it on the stones for 20 minutes. Now imagine how much work would have to go into sharpening a truly-dull S110V blade... That’s why 154CM is a better user steel (for me). I carry a small strop, so when it loses its bite, it’s ready to rock in less than a minute. If S110V gets dull in the field, you better have a backup knife.

Additionally, I’ve said this before on here, but S110V will go dull just sitting there. Others have said this as well, and it’s surmised that it is due to the poor edge stability. It’s a great steel for someone that needs an “adequately sharp” blade for a long freaking time and doesn’t mind spending hours sharpening it when it finally gets unbearable.

Personally, I’m not ok with “adequately sharp” so I run 154CM and am now hugely impressed with the S35VN put out by Chris Reeve. Both can get gnarly sharp, stay that way for a long while, then get brought back to life on leather with 1-micron diamond compound.

This^

I use a little piece of spyderco medium ceramic to put a good enough edge if I need it before I get back home. When I drop and break a fine or ultrafine spyderco rod I will likely use that instead.

I’m also ahuge fan of: n690, 14c28n and slightly less so vg10. Still love that vg10 though vs s110 or 90 or 30

I’d rather the s30v. I keeps that working edge far longer than 154cm and isn’t a pain to sharpen back up. I popped a ton of zip ties over the Christmas week with the factory edge of a 940-2 and broke down just as many cardboard boxes and I’d be darned if that edge wasn’t still a real usable working edge. 154cm would have needed at least a touch up after either of those materials. I’m not saying it’s bad but s30v works better for me.

Thanks guys. I bought a CLA I’ve been wanting. The blade steel was the only thing that was making me wonder if I should get the Casbah instead.

Multiple peoples test results say differently.

I believe it was Ankerson who showed s110v cut MUCH longer than the likes of 154cm and s30v while still shaving sharp.I wonder what kind of cardboard box you were cutting or how huge the box is such that one box will dull a s110v knife.

I don't have 154cm blades but plenty of vg10, bd1, k390, s30v, s35vn, 20cv, s90v, s110v, m4, rex45 etc. And my experience also says s110v has impressive edge retention.

Multiple peoples test results say differently.

I believe it was Ankerson who showed s110v cut MUCH longer than the likes of 154cm and s30v while still shaving sharp.I wonder what kind of cardboard box you were cutting or how huge the box is such that one box will dull a s110v knife.

I don't have 154cm blades but plenty of vg10, bd1, k390, s30v, s35vn, 20cv, s90v, s110v, m4, rex45 etc. And my experience also says s110v has impressive edge retention.

Ankerson’s test was based off of pressure needed to continue cutting and had nothing to do with shaving, as shaving is a pointless (pun intended) way of indicating usable sharpness. His findings mirror mine... it stays cutting for a long time (as I said), but loses its initial bite quite quickly.

You may have a different idea of “sharp” than I do.

Yes. The only knife I have with 154CM blade is my EDC, Bedlam. It holds a sharp edge well. Strop occasionally.

Yes. It's a solid connection with R. W. Loveless and it's a darned good steel despite the gobblers.

Back