Would you buy a stainless GEC in something other than 440C?

Would you buy a stainless GEC in other than 440C?

• Total voters
I’d be happy to try some other varieties of stainless. I don’t really need any super steel on a thin behind the edge traditional blade. I bet I’d be happy with any on the presented options.

I would go for most any fine grained steel that would go well with the grinds found on most traditional knives. It would add a little variety to my collection:)

At first I felt like steering clear of this one... but I think it’s a good discussion to have.
I enjoy carbon steel and GEC’s 1095 is top notch. However, I prefer stainless for edc due to the climate I live in and the fact my sweat can rust anything. Stainless is just easier.
In my 20’s I started carrying modern folders in modern steels and have only over the last 5 years or so come back home to traditional. I have carried a lot of the modern high carbide stainlesses in one form or another and found my sweet spot in cpm 154.
But, in actuality I’m quite satisfied with even Cases’s trusharp most days. It takes a fine edge and I can easily maintain that hair shaving edge stroping on leather or denim(my pants leg). The Sandvik steels take a screaming edge, and while not the most wear resistant they are easy to maintain to that screaming level.
Maybe I’m a little biased because I do enjoy tinkering and maintaining things, reprofiling an edge with the wicked edge so that regular stroping and light touch ups with a sharpmaker on the lesser steels scratches that itch. Heck I can’t even leave the high carbide steels alone.
I would love to see a GEC 81 stockman in stainless. I voted for the Sandvik as Kershaw has done a very good job with it that makes for a nice edc ( not cpm 154 but oh well).

I'm fortunate enough to have a GEC in 440C and really like it. A good steel with a really good heat treat imho. So while I would prefer they keep using it I would buy knives in other steels if i liked the pattern and scales.
440A with a good heat treat is good stuff, I would be ok with that.

I don't know all my steels that well but I assume that is inferior steel to what they usually use. In which case if the price was right and they made patterns I like then sure I'd be interested.

I think it would be hard for them to compete with rough rider, frost cutlery, kissing crane etc. To my knowledge most of the overseas brands use 440a a step down from 440c i think.

If it is inferior steel to what they do usually use then my theory is probably right. You'd be paying into a brand name vs what you actually get for cost.

I think 14C28N is what was used in the southern grind bad monkey. I have one and that blade steel has impressed me. I would love to see it in a nice and big 3 blade XL stockman. Maybe a Dixie Stockman.

Thanks

1095 is as low as I will go, between my Queen City, Queen Workhorse, old Camillus and 6 GES's I have enough 1095.

"No" is a valid answer.
but 14C28N will outperform 1095, while maintaining just as keen an edge. :)

I keep meaning to get a GEC in 440c. I have used many other stainless steels, including cpm154, ats34, bucks 420hc? Opinels inox, ABEL, 440c, and more.

I like carbon steel, and stainless. I'd like to see GEC make more in 440c.

I'd probably buy whatever stainless they decided to try. One of the Queen Dan Burke line of knives was done in one if the sandvik steel and I've really enjoyed those knives. I have several if the 440c knives, perform just fine for me. It's not s110v but it cuts fine.

I voted 14C28N, but as a hypothetical. I am no longer interested in buying new pocket knives so it doesn't matter to me what GEC uses. However, back when I was still in the market, I would have loved a 14C28N GEC.

I picked 440A. I've always had good luck with it. I believe it is the steel used in my Schrade LB7 Bear Paws (early production) and it is the steel in my SOG Stingrays. I also have an early Schrade 167UH fillet knife and I believe that also has 440A.

Last edited:
Yes, in a heartbeat I’d pick up a GEC in 14C28N, I’ve got it in some Kershaw knives and like it.

Back