Would you drive 8-9 hours for a hard to find CRK?

I've been really wanting to get a CRK fixed blade. Not that much available--OPKs have gotten expensive, The Pacific and GB are pretty much out of stock everywhere. The Nyala has been discontinued. It's a knife I plan to mainly use for deer hunting, so the Nyala is probably my best option. I've been asking around, searching on the internet, etc and I came across someone who has a NIB Nyala, but he's an older guy, not internet skilled and a bit eccentric, and he will only sell it in person, for cash. It's a very good price. It's a 4 hour and 20 minute drive each way according to Google Maps. I enjoy driving, but that makes for one long day on the road. Should I go for it? What would you do?

I drove 3 hrs each way, twice, to get my dog.
20 years ago, I drove (from NY) to Florida to buy something I didn't want to ship (I also wanted to see it first).
4.5 hrs isn't unreasonable if you want it.

I would do it. Think of it as a CRK road trip! The way back will likely be longer since you will need to pull over from time to time just to look at your new knife :)

I would add the cost of fuel and food for that 8-hour trip to the “very good” price, then decide if it’s worth it.

Haha I flew from the East Coast to Washington State to get my dog (long since passed away)! The breeder said I could stay over and I had a bunch of frequent flier miles saved up, so I did it. I worked with the dogs for a couple of days and ended up bonding with one incredible creature who was my companion for 16 years. But for a knife, it's just not the same. Still, I think I'm gonna do it. As for fuel--I drive a diesel that gets >50mpg, so maybe $30 and another $20 for food. I'll still save a $100-200, plus I'll have it in hand as opposed to waiting for one to eventually show up here or elsewhere.

Figure out some other activity or sight to see along the way that you would not otherwise be likely to visit or do. Use it as an excuse to do something new.

That is not too far, as mentioned turn it into a multiple stop trip to make it extra worth it. I would also take a friend:)

I spoke to him at length. He seems pretty harmless, just a bit of a shut in. But yeah if I could get him to meet me even an hour closer it would be so helpful.

The trick is to leave by abt 0500, then the day ends a lot sooner.

Right. Leaving early as possible makes sense. If I do end up making the drive, I'll be sure and post pics of my score.

I wouldn't. It's not just the drive, it's the time taken away from work or family/fun.

Do it. Just keep your mask on in public. Stay safe and have fun.

Zieg
Uggh. Respectfully, can we keep the mask debate out of this forum? Where I live no masks are required, and amazingly, the hospitals are empty and everyone’s just fine, but that’s an argument for another forum.

Let’s make this forum Covid yay/nay free. Please and thank you.

If it’s worth it to you, then yes, make the round trip. You never know what adventure may be around the corner if you pass.
I’ve made trips for a lot less and some have turned out memorable, others just mundane.

Write the ole fart a letter. Tell him you'll send him five bills, cash money, by USPS Priority mail. Tell him you'll enclose a return mailing envelope to get the knife back to you.
Then tell him, if he's scamming you , that you'll make the drive and kick his as_.
I'm an ole fart too, but this guy sounds off the wall...

I would be patient and wait for another to show up somewhere more agreeable. Three or four hours would be my max round trip time. This would only be if I needed it ASAP or to see it before purchase. For some things yes, but for a Nyala it's a no.

Back