Would you rather have 4 really decent knives or one excellent knife?

When I first read your post and you said "4 decent knives" I thought you were going to mention knives in the $30-$60 range and wanted to buy something along the lines of one of the 4 you mentioned that you already have. I have never used a Sebenza, however those are 4 very good knives you have there - and to me, they are more then just decent :) At the end of the day its your money you can do what you like - but I think what you have there is some quality blades already.

Yep. That's why he said he's waiting to decide what to do with them until he can save up enough to try out a sebenza.

Of course in practical terms, this likely means he'll end up with all of them:D

Well, I have been using and carrying knives since the early 1970's. Last month the wife bought me a Sebenza 25, so I did not have to sell anything or drop money to get it. I appreciate the attention to detail, F&F, but I am not fond of it, so I do not carry it. I personally would never have a single knife as my only EDC and especially a single brand/model line.

I will be honest, when I got the Sebenza, I had a little elitist feeling that I had joined some exclusive club....But that faded very quickly and I lost interest in it. But I do think everyone should get one if it is within their means and they do not have to sell all their other EDC knives to get it. Then if they don't like it, they can proudly say, I get it, but do not like it....I had one, let's move on.

Just a reminder that we are not in Whine and Cheese.
If you just can't bring yourself to discuss the topic at hand and want to discuss each other instead, we have a subforum for that.
General is not the right place.

Just a reminder that we are not in Whine and Cheese.
If you just can't bring yourself to discuss the topic at hand and want to discuss each other instead, we have a subforum for that.
General is not the right place.

I think the drama has subsided for the most part Guyon. We're back on track now

Thanks again to all who took time to offer an opinion. I'm going to head to bladeHQ this weekend (20 minutes from home) and handle a few Sebenzas. They're not necessarily a "grail knife" for me, but I do like the idea of owning a knife of very high quality, so reliable, appealing and enjoyable in-hand to me, that I pretty much always want that knife in my pocket. I have one son and I like the idea of owning a knife that I could pass on to him someday, and which will still be beautiful, strong, and valuable when he gets it. Like some who posted, I'm not crazy about the idea of having a $400-$500 dollar knife in my pocket all day (I have lost a couple knives---found them later, but still....). Geez today there was a 21 that sold on the exchange for $200. That's the kind of deal I need to grab. I'm going to sell one of my knives--the 0801. Keep the rest. I really love them, too, and it took me a bunch of trials and trading to find them. Like others said in this thread, they each have a particular time and place when they are the perfect carry knife, and it would have been a mistake to sell them off.
Thanks again for the advice. This forum is both really helpful and a really big distraction from whatever else I am supposed to be doing all day.
Best to all
Sam

Thanks again to all who took time to offer an opinion. I'm going to head to bladeHQ this weekend (20 minutes from home) and handle a few Sebenzas. They're not necessarily a "grail knife" for me, but I do like the idea of owning a knife of very high quality, so reliable, appealing and enjoyable in-hand to me, that I pretty much always want that knife in my pocket. I have one son and I like the idea of owning a knife that I could pass on to him someday, and which will still be beautiful, strong, and valuable when he gets it. Like some who posted, I'm not crazy about the idea of having a $400-$500 dollar knife in my pocket all day (I have lost a couple knives---found them later, but still....). Geez today there was a 21 that sold on the exchange for $200. That's the kind of deal I need to grab. I'm going to sell one of my knives--the 0801. Keep the rest. I really love them, too, and it took me a bunch of trials and trading to find them. Like others said in this thread, they each have a particular time and place when they are the perfect carry knife, and it would have been a mistake to sell them off.
Thanks again for the advice. This forum is both really helpful and a really big distraction from whatever else I am supposed to be doing all day.
Best to all
Sam

Excellent post, OP.

Glad to see you've taken something good out of this thread and are going to handle some sebbies soon. They truly are type of knife you have to experience first before buying.

[video=youtube;BNQULw8E8H0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQULw8E8H0[/video]

Best to all
Sam

I'm a little late to this discussion but will chime in. I have all of the knives you list and they are all great knives. My first Chris Reeves was a Small Sebenza. I wasn't sure about it and it took me a while to appreciate it. It is now my 99% edc. I do not miss carrying the others. This is jmho and of course ymmv.

It might not have the tightest tolerances or whatever but when it comes to doing what a knife is designed to do..cutting stuff..my Para2 cuts like frigging Demon..

I would like to replace some day all my folders [3x CS, 3x Spyderco, 2x BM] with that [or something like that, but please don't say about Sebenza]. :D

iG5Al4s.jpg

HnVnVxJ.jpg

NwQUUGT.jpg

FjS3rf3.jpg

Fun (or funny) thread. To me these things we collect are tools first and foremost I have, or have had, everything from $20 knives to custom knives over $300. Fit and finish only matter for persona satisfaction, or if they make them cut better.

The knives I have now are for separate applications, like a 6" 3V custom for heavy work, and a 3.5" K390 ultrathin custom for fine work. And a decent folder for when a fixed blade seems a bit awkward, like in my suit.

Sure I appreciate nice action, and pretty things, but I'm not going to sell everything to have one knife that has those thing, but actually cuts less well, and needs sharpening more often. And worse yet if I lose or break it, I have no knife.

You aren't talking about "crap" vs decent knives, you're talking about very good knives, vs something that might be better. more $$$ isn't always better. This isn't aimed at Sebbies, its aimed at any products.

I would like to replace some day all my folders [3x CS, 3x Spyderco, 2x BM] with that [or something like that, but please don't say about Sebenza]. :D

iG5Al4s.jpg

HnVnVxJ.jpg

NwQUUGT.jpg

FjS3rf3.jpg

Can't go wrong with a Terzuola... when people post photos of their 10+ ZTs, Spydercos, Hinderers, CRKs etc. and many of them are clearly not used very often... it makes me wonder what kind of awesome customs could be had if some of those knives were sold off.

I don't think you would be better off selling all of those knives for a Sebenza. Your current selection offers you an interesting variety of steels, materials, actions and designs.

+1 Totally agree with this!

Can't go wrong with a Terzuola... when people post photos of their 10+ ZTs, Spydercos, Hinderers, CRKs etc. and many of them are clearly not used very often... it makes me wonder what kind of awesome customs could be had if some of those knives were sold off.

How do you know they're "clearly not used often"? Do you need to see extreme wear to be convinced that they are being carried and used?

And even if they're not, I see no issue there. I like using all of my knives, but I don't have a problem with anyone who chooses to just be a collector. That's just their thing.

Sure they COULD have bought some nice customs for the same money........but they didn't. Maybe it's because they didn't want custom knives. Maybe 10+ ZTs or Spydercos or hinderers or CRKs sitting around doing nothing is EXACTLY what they wanted.

More power to them.

And IMO, that terzola looks pretty bad. I know, I know..... heresy! Stone him!:D

But I've seen many nicer terzolas on this forum. That terrible centering and the cheap looking thumb disc make it reminiscent of some of the 10 dollar gas station mall ninja specials I used to carry. Also not a fan of the blade shape. Sorry if I'm offending anyone here. I can't remember if it was the owner that posted it in this thread.

How do you know they're "clearly not used often"? Do you need to see extreme wear to be convinced that they are being carried and used?

And even if they're not, I see no issue there. I like using all of my knives, but I don't have a problem with anyone who chooses to just be a collector. That's just their thing.

Sure they COULD have bought some nice customs for the same money........but they didn't. Maybe it's because they didn't want custom knives. Maybe 10+ ZTs or Spydercos or hinderers or CRKs sitting around doing nothing is EXACTLY what they wanted.

More power to them.

And IMO, that terzola looks pretty bad. I know, I know..... heresy! Stone him!:D

But I've seen many nicer terzolas on this forum. That terrible centering and the cheap looking thumb disc make it reminiscent of some of the 10 dollar gas station mall ninja specials I used to carry. Also not a fan of the blade shape. Sorry if I'm offending anyone here. I can't remember if it was the owner that posted it in this thread.

When I see clean factory edges, pristine coatings / blade finishes, no apparent wear on scales or frames... that tells me they're not used often. If one owns knives to just sit around and do nothing with, why not own something really special?

Yes, the newer Terzuolas are much better, the one in that photo is from the late 80s. Even on that knife in the picture, you can see that he's no slouch when it comes to making knives, even if some of the design elements are cheap looking. You can find CRKs with centering that's just as off, or more drastically off, or ones that are perfectly centered too. Keep in mind that those older Terzuolas were made completely by hand without the help of modern power tools and certainly not extensive NC machine work.

My ATCF was produced in 1994/5, and it had machine-like perfect F&F all around. The newer customs are even more precise. Yes, they're expensive, but it's a similar question, would you rather have 2 or 3 Sebenzas or would you rather have a Terzuola? Terzuolas, like Sebenzas, retain their value well, and often even increase in value - by hundreds or thousands of dollars. They're handmade knives that, in terms of fit & finish, rival or exceed knives produced with advanced numerical-control machinery, like CRKs and Microtechs.

The topic at hand is "Would you rather have 4 really decent knives or one excellent knife". Well, what if the scale was moved up from Benchmade/ZT/Spyderco vs. CRK (the original topic of this thread) to CRK/Hinderer/Strider/Microtech etc. vs. custom knives? Many custom makers are able to achieve amazing levels of quality meeting or exceeding expensive production knives - and they work all or mostly by hand, and all by themselves. Beyond quality, there's also the considerations of uniqueness, provenance, and materials.

Would you rather own two regular large Sebenza 21s, or one "H" Sebenza, handmade & handground by Chris Reeve?
Would you rather have two production Hinderer XM18s or one custom XM18, with a blade handground by Rick?
Would you rather have two production SMFs, or a DDC SMF with a cobalt damascus blade & hand carved frames?
Would you rather have a bunch of Spydercos, ZTs and Benchmades that rarely see use and sit around to be played with & looked at anyway, or have a couple of amazing Careys, Mayos or Boguszewskis?

Then sell your knives and buy them. There are some incredible knife makers out there and I'm not seriously interested in anything I've seen from any of them when it comes to folders. As certain innovations lose their patents and makers begin to adopt them that may change, but for right now production knives come closer to my ideal than any custom that I'm aware of.

Back