Would you recommend the CRKT Heiho?

I've been given the choice of an Easter gift, and one of the nicer things in the price range is the CRKT Heiho. I've been drooling over Japanese blades lately and I

don't really feel like getting a fixed blade, (I want to carry something I really love). Also my studies have taken me to Japanese culture and I get bit by the

Japanese bug again. Anyways this blade this looks functional and has a lot of choices use-wise not to mention it's beautiful. Would you recommend it over

something else in the 20-35 dollar range?

Absolutely.
I was the design was better. Keep an CRKT M16 in mind also. I EDC a M16-12ER
rolf

I bought a Heiho online without ever handling it, and to be honest I don't carry it all that much. It is a little heavier than I would have thought. That is the bad, the good is that it is a great knife for the price. If you are into that Japanese style it is really the only thing out there in that price range. It is cool looking and the assisted blade really flies out. If I did not have a bunch of other blades it would definitely fill the EDC role for me. But with the Japanese aesthetics aside, I think there are a few other blades in that pricepoint that would serve you well. It is all a matter of personal choice.

Ontario Rat 1 or 2 ( I carry the 2 more often than the Heiho)
Ontario Utilitac, a lot of people on the forum love them
CRKT Ripple
Spyderco Tenacious

If you really want a knife that reminds you of Japan, then definitely get the Heiho, you wont regret it!

Whoa, thanks for suggesting the utilitac, I didn't know the price was so amazing for what it was, and at an amazing price. I completely forgot about that option thanks!

I have one and it is a great little knife for the price. Especially if you are taken with the looks, I would say go for it. I like the Heiho more than its bigger brother also.

I decided to go with the Utilitac. I have to wait til Easter before I can say more on it.

I like the Heiho's look, I too really like the Japanese aesthetic of it. I don't carry it much not because of the weight (which doesn't seem excessive) but because I find it a little tough to open, as the thumb stud is placed pretty close to the handle. Still a great looking piece though. I had a similar experience w/ the Boker Kwaiken, odd that 2 Japanese inspired pieces by different makers would give me similar problems. I want to get the flipper Kwaiken which should solve that issue.

At first, I was wary of the spring assist on the Heiho, afraid I'd cut my thumb. Now, it turns out to be very easy to flick out once you get used to it.
Japanese inspired design, but actually designed by James Williams, who is a knife designer and self-defense expert. Lockup is tight especially vertically, but almost imperceptible side to side play. I tried tightening the pivot and although side to slide play disappeared, the spring assist suffered, so I loosed the pivot slightly . I think somme looseness is needed for the spring assist, but maybe this side play business is all in the mind, cause it's really pretty solid.

Cutting power does not seem bad, but it's somewhat thick and the cutting edge shape is somewhat different from conventional edges. I think for self defense it's frightfully well designed.

Back