Would you remove the finish??

Should I remove the finish?

• No leave it be. Some day you will be able to retire with that baby!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remove the finish, looks weird anyways.

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
13oL9wB.jpg

deJddO0.jpg

oPzY88M.jpg

SHsIL7j.jpg

JMUbcB3.jpg

Went to the pawnshop today at the next city over and found this. Didn't know what it was but I have a pretty good eye for quality, and it was on sale for 50% off. So I thought what the heck and bought it.
No marking on the knife but the sheath is marked "RCF Combat" which I found is a British custom knife maker. But can't find any real info about them.

As you can see the past owner took "Just the tip" very literally :D. So I would like to remove the finish. But...Being a custom knife is that one of those things where people will cringe at you 10-20 years from now for "ruining" the knife? Or perhaps the past owner did this paint job?

Would you guys leave it be or take the finish off?

And whats the best way? I was thinking aircraft paint stripper.

Well I don't buy things with the intent to resell, so I don't think of resale value.
But if you can't find info on it, the most collectors probably don't know about it, so if you don't find the right guy you won't get a good price regardless.
The finish ends where the scales begin, so I'm guessing the last owner did this. The pattern doesn't seem to match the sheath.
I also have a hard time believing a smith of good repute did this.

Which is why I'd get rid of the coating. Certainly wait a bit to see if any info turns up that tells you otherwise, but that's where I'd be headed.

I would remove the paint, finish beneath it seems at least decent, might even be really good, no reason to hide it under that paintjob...

Thanks guys. Think I'm going the removal route. I did find a pic of a rcf without a finish and it looked awesome.

Remove it !
That's just nasty.
. . . or sell it for a big profit to someone who can appreciate it (and won't post photos of it here). :p

It is pretty nasty. I'm guessing they were trying to make it look like a Busse and failed really hard.

OK Update...I decided to take the paint off but I had a thought. What if there's a logo underneath this paint? So instead I used a product called goof off and some 0000 steel wool.

4wtcOYk.jpg

Yep, I don't know what the last owner was thinking but it's latex paint. :rolleyes:

cXT3esA.jpg

3RA58iL.jpg

(Sorry for the blah pics)

15 mins later and the goof off has taken at least 98% of the crappy paint off. Now I just need to get the nooks and cranny's clean and give the blade a good buff. :cool:

Very cool! Now ya got something!! yeah, that speckled egg with tire track look had to go. Good job!

Went to the pawnshop today at the next city over and found this. Didn't know what it was but I have a pretty good eye for quality, and it was on sale for 50% off. So I thought what the heck and bought it.
No marking on the knife but the sheath is marked "RCF Combat" which I found is a British custom knife maker. But can't find any real info about them.

Found this: https://kratos-international.wixsite.com/rcfknives

Knife screams Pakistan to me, especially the sheath.
I'm willing to bet CFK has a dead ringer for this in their lineup somewhere.
Googling their knives I really think this company is probably a UK equivalent to CFK, but with a much smaller lineup.

It looks like a well made knife and the CFK knives ( if I'm correct ) get good reviews so if I am right you probably got a good deal on a user if you didn't pay too much.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

They're not identical but there's a lot of similarities, like the style of sheath and the fact that they both offer tracker Knock offs.[/url]

Last edited:
Knife screams Pakistan to me, especially the sheath.
I'm willing to bet CFK has a dead ringer for this in their lineup somewhere.
Googling their knives I really think this company is probably a UK equivalent to CFK, but with a much smaller lineup.

It looks like a well made knife and the CFK knives ( if I'm correct ) get good reviews so if I am right you probably got a good deal on a user if you didn't pay too much.

They're not identical but there's a lot of similarities, like the style of sheath and the fact that they both offer tracker Knock offs.
I think you might be onto something. The CFK mfg head quarters is located in the UK, and they use the same materials. It's possible that some Pakistani knife makers have immigrated to the UK and set up shop? I'm going to try to contact cfk and find out more info.

I think you might be onto something. The CFK mfg head quarters is located in the UK, and they use the same materials. It's possible that some Pakistani knife makers have immigrated to the UK and set up shop? I'm going to try to contact cfk and find out more info.
As far as I know they are made in Pakistan, it's most likely that they're simply making what the specs call for.
As with most countries / factories it's not about what they can make but what they're being paid to.

Btw the giveaway for me was the sheath, the color, stamping, and the stitching all over just scream Pakistan to me.
Is the belt loop actually made of two layers as most PAK knives I see are or is the stitching just decorative ?

As far as I know they are made in Pakistan, it's most likely that they're simply making what the specs call for.
As with most countries / factories it's not about what they can make but what they're being paid to.

Btw the giveaway for me was the sheath, the color, stamping, and the stitching all over just scream Pakistan to me.
Is the belt loop actually made of two layers as most PAK knives I see are or is the stitching just decorative ?

I'll have to look after work but I think it's decorative. I emailed RCF about the sheath and any possible connection to CFK. I also messaged CFK on facebook.

I just started reading a thread about CFK history but it's at least 27 pages long lol

Well I haven't read the whole thing but if it was made by CFK. Then it's likely the whole knife was made in Pakistan.

Here's the response I got from CFK.

Screenshot_20191020-122108.png

Back